Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | University of Florida

AuthorMessageTime
DrivE
This season should be a better one for Florida mostly because there doesn't seem to be any realistic way that they should loose four games which is a problem for people who hate Ron Zook. Take a look at the UF schedule and tell me where they SHOULD loose four games. Their first two games are a push over, the Tennessee game should be very exciting and a brutal battle thats one possible loss for either team. Kentucky and Arkansas are both at home and are winnable games. LSU is back at the swamp and thats a good matchup and a winnable game but a possible loss for either team. Mississippi State is an away game but a winnable one certainly. The neutral game against Georgia which is anybody's guess but a possible loss for either team, but I still give the edge to Florida given the history of the game. At Vanderbilt is a push over along with home against South Carolina. The only other possible loss is the old rivalry game at Florida State. The Gators should finish at WORST 8-3, once again barring some unforseen situation with injuries or a Cinderella story with one of the easier teams.
June 19, 2004, 4:23 PM
Grok
I think Georgia will romp Florida. The Gators are even with FSU, but Georgia is better than both of us. Zook can't win at Doak if Spurrier couldn't. Maybe in 2006, when Leak is a senior, but not this year. Hmm, actually, that 2006 game is going to be an incredible quarterback competition, isn't it? Two #1 ranked Rivals QBs doing battle in one of the best rivalries in the college game. Speedy receivers (FSU) and super talented DBs (Florida) on top of that. Wish I could peak ahead at THAT game.
June 19, 2004, 6:52 PM
DrivE
I disagree, I think the Florida-Georgia game will be a hard-fought battle royale until the very end and the winner is a toss up. Lets not forget how great Georgia was supposed to be last year when Florida went in and showed them up. It has nothing to do with the coaches in the UF vs. FSU rivalry its all about which team wants it more and which team fights harder.
June 19, 2004, 8:11 PM
DarkMinion
UF sucks  ;)
June 19, 2004, 8:42 PM
DrivE
You're just mad because you had one of the best QB's in the country and your team still sucked thanks to a total lack of a defense.
June 19, 2004, 8:44 PM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=7327;start=0#msg66199 date=1087677882]
You're just mad because you had one of the best QB's in the country and your team still sucked thanks to a total lack of a defense.
[/quote]

Scoring 50+ and losing is humiliating in football.
June 19, 2004, 8:52 PM
DarkMinion
We never scored 50+ and lost :P

Only time we came close to that was when we lost in OT to NC State 51-48

Also, a tidbit of information: Our QB played the last 8 games of the season with a torn ACL in his right knee, so his production was down significantly.
June 20, 2004, 2:09 AM
DrivE
So first your QB was the reason you guys were "good" and now hes the reason you lost?
June 20, 2004, 2:59 AM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=7327;start=0#msg66251 date=1087700340]
So first your QB was the reason you guys were "good" and now hes the reason you lost?
[/quote]

See also: Phillip Rivers, NC State -- nearly the same situation.
June 20, 2004, 1:55 PM
DrivE
Rivers wasn't the reason NC State lost though, and Rivers was drafted what? Third?
June 20, 2004, 5:06 PM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=7327;start=0#msg66316 date=1087751188]
Rivers wasn't the reason NC State lost though, and Rivers was drafted what? Third?
[/quote]

Well, what I meant was NC State's arrival to ACC/national powerdom was due to Phillilp Rivers talent. He is the best player to ever play at NC State, and maybe the best QB to play in the history of the ACC. He's considerably more clutch than Chris Weinke, and while Charlie Ward was more clutch than Rivers, Ward had superior talent around him at every position, especially tbe offensive line guarding him consisting of several All-Americans. Rivers had to perform his miracles without much help. He had one or two great receivers, like Holt, but mostly the miracles came from Rivers talent.

Now that Rivers is gone, it might be another 40 years before NC State sees someone that good. The Wolfpack stock will be down significantly at the opening bell this fall.
June 20, 2004, 5:39 PM
DarkMinion
I would like you to quote me where exactly I said he was the reason we "lost", even though we had a winning record...

You really need to take reading comprehension classes. I said his production was down the last 8 games of the season...that's it. Our defense was obviously the reason we didn't have a great team, since we had a great offense anyway.

The guy still threw for almost 6000 yards last season, but the reason I say his production was down is because before he was injured, he had pretty good speed and could elude the pass rush pretty well, but after the injury, he couldn't really do that much.
June 20, 2004, 8:27 PM
DarkMinion
I should also point out that we ended up with the same record, and our only common opponent ended up as a loss for you, and a win for us. I'll leave it up to you to figure out who.
June 20, 2004, 8:31 PM

Search