Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Doing Everything - VB

AuthorMessageTime
n00blar
I'm curious why *some* visual basic users use OCX's and DLL's that do everything to create a bot? It is 100% possible to create it by yourself and do everything-- that way there is no risks (cough lamers cough) and you don't have to give credit to anyone-- just a recommendation =)

[Edit Addition]
Please don't flame me, this is just a simple question kthx =P
December 22, 2002, 12:53 PM
Noodlez
because they can't do it any other way
December 22, 2002, 4:26 PM
Yoni
Because *some* Visual Basic users treat VB as a "Visual Bot Studio".

Using a wrapper for a wrapper (like a certain OCX that is a wrapper for BNLS, which itself is a wrapper for Battle.net functions) is just silly IMO, but whatever, they do what they waunt(tm).

Using BNLS itself is great though. (Of course, as a co-developer of BNLS, I'm forced to say this.) :P
December 22, 2002, 4:36 PM
JaMi
whats wrong with wanting to learn? Just becuz a "certain ocx" makes creating a bot a project that can be used as a beginning step in learning vb instead of an advanced step. IMO bots that use the ocx will never be nearly as impressive, but neither am gonna down them becuz they want to learn. if i took what your saying wrong, my bad :p
December 23, 2002, 9:44 AM
Yoni
IMO writing a bot is a bad way of learning VB.
December 23, 2002, 9:59 AM
iago
Making a bot is advanced; if you want to learn vb.. damnit, Yoni took pretty much the rest of that :)
December 23, 2002, 1:05 PM
Grok
Opinions differ, so here's another one:

To learn any language, I'm an advocate of finding something fun to write, something the student wants to do.  If that's a bot, and the language is Visual Basic, so be it.

I've taught quite a few people to program by having them write games.  Each game assignment is completely different from the previous one, on the surface, but builds incrementally on their structural, syntactical, and grammar knowledge of the language being learned.  Plus, with every new thing learned, each assigned game is more fun than the last!

Hmm, maybe after I give a few courses on general principles of programming, I should publish some assignments.

Yoni you are a rare and exceptional intellect for whom learning itself appears to be motivational enough.  For most people, though, VB is a tool towards a goal.  I'm just saying make the goal fun, let them write a bot.  If the student requires a few libraries(DLLs, OCXs) to get over the difficult stuff, what's the harm?

Once they get good at writing GUI's, learn enough there, they might decide they are dissatisfied with whatever OCX or DLL.  Then some of them will take the next step -- learning how to do without that library, or writing their own version of it.

Hope this helps.
Grok
December 23, 2002, 2:12 PM
JaMi
wow umm yeah he said what i was trying to say just sooo much better  :-X
December 23, 2002, 4:35 PM
Nova1313
<longpost>

Vb is considered visual bot studio for some which it's really not it's amazing hte depth you can give your programs. I too use dll's for some but it's not like I havn't tried. I attempted to port over checkrevision but ran into problems with unsigned int's and vb not supporting them

So that was a no go.

I like keeping all my hashing functions and things client side as I dont want to upset my large userbase with sending there cdkeys off to other servers. Even though yes i know they are safe and all as everyone says not every user believes that. And it's worth it to me for those 5 users todo everything client side and figure it out. So dll's are nice for when the language lacks stuff.

Vb actually has more uses then just bots (yes i know thats a scary thought) It provided a quick way for me to show what can be accomplished to my professors with the data they gave me. Although some want a quick bang for fame, others do it just cause it's fun.

So really i dunno but why questions like this come up. I mean really it could be just an attempt to show off. with the lamers comment up there (nothing against you) but i dont consider them lamers. Does it make them less of a person because they used soemone elses stuff that was put there for that purpose.

It works that way in big buisnesses. Where I work it's much easier to buy something like the pro version fo the msflex control then to go and develope it ourselves for our purposes. So why not just use someone elses. If we made everything ourselves so there were no risks while were at it we should really then go make our own compiler. And just for the hell of it because were using someone elses processor make our own too. It's all the same. I can see this exact same argument starting anywhere and to me it seems all pointless. Do it because you want to and help others not mock them for what they can't do and you can.

I dunno just my take.

</longpost>
December 24, 2002, 12:47 AM
0xeRb
you cannot make all the ocx's/dll's in you vb because that would be like coding your toolbox into your code so its imposable
December 24, 2002, 1:33 AM
Atom
Youre all right!!! Jeesh, im not a real programmer, i mean come on i used Winsock.ocx!!!!
December 24, 2002, 1:35 AM
Zakath
I said [code]#include "Winsock2.h"[/code]

I didn't write the Winsock 2 header...doesn't that mean I'm using stuff someone else wrote? The argument is rather academic...nobody writes a bot completely on their own. That makes sense, too - there's no point in reinventing the wheel.

The difference, in my opinion, between a "lamer" and a real programmer, is in why they are writing the bot (or whatever else they may be working on). Are they doing it because they think it makes them "leet"? Or rather, are they doing it because it's a good exercise for their programming skills, a good way of challenging themselves to learn new stuff and hone their existing skills?

Far too many people these days choose the former, which is why a publicly released control like the famous OCX is a bad idea.
December 24, 2002, 2:41 PM

Search