Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Given the choice, would you study Computer Math?

AuthorMessageTime
Yoni
During a discussion I had with Nate, he brought up the point that Computer Science should be renamed to Computer Math.

THIS IS SUCH AN AWESOME IDEA.

Computer Science, in essence, is a branch of mathematics and everyone knows that (if you disagree, make your reply in the Trash Can please).

However, there is a large group of dumbasses thinking "I like computers, computers are cool. I think I'll study computers in college." In college, they will see a "Computer Science" class, think "this must be that class where they play with computers", and enroll. Some of them drop out. Here is what happens with those who don't.

Sooner or later, they receive their degree. "I have a degree in computers, I bet I'll be able to get a job in programming easily." The truth is, you are still an idiot, and a degree with your name on it won't change that fact. You will get the job, do it badly, and make another group of smart people justly pissed off at you.

THINK OF THE ALTERNATIVE.

Back to the beginning of the story.
"I like computers, computers are cool. I think I'll study computers in college." In college, they will now see a "Computer Math" class. "Ack! I don't like math :( This is not a good class. Where is the Programming class? Oh well, I'll just sign up for Business Management."

A distant cheer is audible.
June 17, 2004, 8:36 PM
hismajesty
Computer Science is listed under the Math section at my school so there's no confusion. :)
June 17, 2004, 9:19 PM
LW-Falcon
[quote author=Yoni link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=0#msg65700 date=1087504593]
"I like computers, computers are cool. I think I'll study computers in college." In college, they will now see a "Computer Math" class. "Ack! I don't like math :( This is not a good class. Where is the Programming class?
[/quote]
They teach C++ in Computer Science at my school.
June 17, 2004, 10:31 PM
Raihan
No, and that's why I'm focusing on (hopefully) Electrical and Computer Engineering. However, I could easily do well in Computer Science. I just didn't choose Computer Science. I would've taken the course in high school just the same if it was named Computer Math. If you're horrible in mathematics, pursuing in just about anything such as life is a horrible idea </sarcasm>.
June 17, 2004, 11:03 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Falcon[anti-yL] link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=0#msg65733 date=1087511516]
"I like computers, computers are cool. I think I'll study computers in college." In college, they will now see a "Computer Math" class. "Ack! I don't like math :( This is not a good class. Where is the Programming class?
[/quote]
They teach C++ in Computer Science at my school.
[/quote]

Yoni look! It's one of the people you were talking about!
June 17, 2004, 11:06 PM
kamakazie
During a discussion I had with Nate, he brought up the point that Computer Science should be renamed to Computer Math.

THIS IS SUCH AN AWESOME IDEA.

Computer Science, in essence, is a branch of mathematics and everyone knows that (if you disagree, make your reply in the Trash Can please).

However, there is a large group of dumbasses thinking "I like computers, computers are cool. I think I'll study computers in college." In college, they will see a "Computer Science" class, think "this must be that class where they play with computers", and enroll. Some of them drop out. Here is what happens with those who don't.

Sooner or later, they receive their degree. "I have a degree in computers, I bet I'll be able to get a job in programming easily." The truth is, you are still an idiot, and a degree with your name on it won't change that fact. You will get the job, do it badly, and make another group of smart people justly pissed off at you.

THINK OF THE ALTERNATIVE.

Back to the beginning of the story.
"I like computers, computers are cool. I think I'll study computers in college." In college, they will now see a "Computer Math" class. "Ack! I don't like math :( This is not a good class. Where is the Programming class? Oh well, I'll just sign up for Business Management."

A distant cheer is audible.
[/quote]

It seems that a lot of CS majors are math majors/minors as well.
June 17, 2004, 11:33 PM
DrivE
They quit teaching C++ in the Computer Sciences at my school. They've switched both courses, introductory and AP, over to the Java language because thats what the AP board switched the testing to. It sucks, because now I have nowhere to get instruction on C++ and have to try to teach myself.
June 17, 2004, 11:43 PM
hismajesty
At my school the intro. to programming is C++ and Java is AP Comp. Sci. However, since I've programmed before I get to skip C++ and go straight to Java next year. That's a good thing since I was talking to the teacher and I was told that like the first half of the year they don't even get on the computers and just learn about computers in general and do math on paper or something. On the otherhand the Java class does Java all year, except they move really slow. Here's the course schedule. Even though I dislike math I'd take it no matter the course name.
June 17, 2004, 11:57 PM
DrivE
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=0#msg65758 date=1087516638]
Even though I dislike math I'd take it no matter the course name.
[/quote]

Don't say that out loud! You'll send Yoni spinning into a dimension of pissed off greater than anything you could ever imagine! :P
June 18, 2004, 12:15 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=0#msg65763 date=1087517728]
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=0#msg65758 date=1087516638]
Even though I dislike math I'd take it no matter the course name.
[/quote]

Don't say that out loud! You'll send Yoni spinning into a dimension of pissed off greater than anything you could ever imagine! :P
[/quote]

He banned me once for saying it. :P
June 18, 2004, 12:22 AM
K
I don't see the problem with the current way. A lot of the requisite courses for a BS in CS are math based or require math prerequisites, and none of them focus on "I like computers, let's learn how to run office." If you can make it through Data Structures, Algorithms, Calc1/2/3 and Linear Algebra applied to Computer Science, and topical classes like "OS Design," "Artificial Intelligence," or "Distributed Systems," (as well as the required phsyical engineering components) you should be able to be a competent programmer.
June 18, 2004, 12:53 AM
Maddox
I don't like science, but I would consider Computer Science as a major.
June 18, 2004, 2:54 AM
Arta
Computer science is a branch of math, but understanding of all math is not required to be a good programmer. My course includes elements of math (formal reasoning, predicate logic, lamda calculus, complexity theory..) and is in general designed to develop a technical mind. Computer Math classes do exist - at my university there is a Computing with Mathematics course that has a much higher math content for those who want it.

I don't think it's fair to say that people who are not strong with math are incapable of becoming good CS professionals. It just takes a bit more work.
June 18, 2004, 10:56 AM
DrivE
I do think its an interesting idea though, to change the name, because if you think about it Yoni does have an intriguing idea. The fact that "Math" is in the title should bring to the mind of the person taking the class that the class does involve a lot of mathematics and would weed out some people right off the bat.
June 18, 2004, 2:49 PM
Arta
I think the wod "science" conveys the same impression. Besides, not all CS courses have lots of maths in them. The name might just be wrong in some cases.
June 18, 2004, 3:33 PM
Mephisto
Science also includes a lot of math...ever take physics?
June 18, 2004, 8:39 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=15#msg65917 date=1087591177]
Science also includes a lot of math...ever take physics?
[/quote]

Chemistry, Astrology, every other science...
June 18, 2004, 8:51 PM
Naem
I'm majoring in Comp Sci this Fall, and I don't really like math too much.
*curses to self*

I'm more interested in networking than programming, really. Suggestions?
June 18, 2004, 11:03 PM
Arta
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=15#msg65919 date=1087591919]
[/quote]

Astrology!?
June 19, 2004, 1:12 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=15#msg65962 date=1087607560]
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=2;threadid=7300;start=15#msg65919 date=1087591919]
[/quote]

Astrology!?
[/quote]

Isn't that concidered a science?

Adition: Perhaps you prefer Astronomy.
June 19, 2004, 3:18 AM

Search