Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | cant play sc behind my smoothwall

AuthorMessageTime
picklefromhawaii
Can anyone help me with this?  I running smoothwall with a 300mhz machine with 64M of ram.  I can connect and join games fine.  But when the game starts I either get discontected (actually it looks like the host left) or the game is so slow that its unplayable.  I opened up tcp and udp ports 6112 and still doesnt help.  Has anyone tried smoothwall before?  Does smoothwall just suck or what?  Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks
January 13, 2003, 6:45 PM
Invert
Where does it say that this is somehow a Blizzard games tech support forum? Why would you ever come here and ask us a question that relates to a Blizzard games?

You posting something like that upset me very much.  >:(
My anger can only be relieved now by kicking you in the mouth... but since I can't do that; from now on please use Blizzards forum and their tech support for questions like those!
January 13, 2003, 8:24 PM
warz
I can see that I am rubbing off on the forum moderators. tsk tsk.
January 13, 2003, 8:31 PM
Invert
I made those comments as a joke; I also told him where he can get some help.
January 13, 2003, 11:33 PM
picklefromhawaii
Invert, your comments even though meant as a joke is very inappropriate.  I made a simple post, I did flame or anything.  There is no need for a response like that.  As for the reason why I posted my question in this forum is because in the past valhallalegends was more than helpful in any questions i had about starcraft.  And as the first post states reguarding the rules of this forum:

"This forum is for general computing, gaming, and [vL]-related issues (Anything else might get deleted)."

I am clearly within these guidelines.  I have searched bnets tech support.  And thier official stance is that they dont support playing sc behind a firewall or router.  I also contacted smoothwall and they wont give me any support.  So if you dont want to help me thats cool but I think I shouldnt be flamed by the moderator.

I hope in the furture [VL] will hold there own members to the forum rules.
January 14, 2003, 3:54 PM
Grok
nah, Invert can do whatever he wants.
January 14, 2003, 4:01 PM
Spht
Yes, picklefromhawaii is forgetting another rule!
Members may otherwise do as they please. The clan puts no requirements or demands on them other than stated here.
http://www.valhallalegends.com/vLRules.asp

Which overrides forum guidelines.
January 14, 2003, 4:10 PM
Yoni
What's a smoothwall?

SC doesn't always use port 6112. Try enabling all UDP. Or disabling the "smoothwall" while playing.
January 14, 2003, 5:21 PM
Grok
Spht, close but no cigar :)

The forum is just a bonus.  The clan doesn't guarantee it as a right to members, any more than the web page, FTP, email, etc.  But that doesn't change that Invert can do whatever he wants :)  It's just cause I said so, not because he's vL!  On the other hand, DarkMinion cannot do what he wants.  He has to pay me $5 each time he wants to do something.
January 14, 2003, 5:33 PM
Arta
iirc, Smoothwall is a linux distribution used for firewalls.
January 14, 2003, 5:56 PM
warz
No, I think I'm just rubbing off...
January 14, 2003, 6:09 PM
Invert
picklefromhawaii: why are they inappropriate? I believe I may joke in any way I please, thanks.

Really, if your post was not ok with me I would have delete it.

;D <- before i kick you in the mouth.
:D <- after i kick you in the mouth.
January 14, 2003, 6:25 PM
picklefromhawaii
Thanks Yoni for responding to my issue :).  I got the port number 6112 straight from the bnet web site.  Unfortunately smoothwall doesnt have the feature to just turn off the firewall and I dont want to open up all the ports since that would kind of defeat the purpose of having a firewall in the first place.

Anyone else playing sc behind a firewall?
January 14, 2003, 10:01 PM
MrRaza
Try another firewall?
January 14, 2003, 10:20 PM
iago
[quote]Thanks Yoni for responding to my issue :).  I got the port number 6112 straight from the bnet web site.  Unfortunately smoothwall doesnt have the feature to just turn off the firewall and I dont want to open up all the ports since that would kind of defeat the purpose of having a firewall in the first place.

Anyone else playing sc behind a firewall?[/quote]

Why don't you just open up all the UDP ports while playing Starcraft, and close them afterwards?  At the very least, you can see if that IS what's causing the problem :)
January 15, 2003, 11:08 AM
Thing
root@box / kill 1

Works everytime. :-*
January 15, 2003, 12:37 PM
Adron
I'm playing sc+bw from behind my firewall and it's working great. I have a linux/iptables based firewall. If that thing you have is a linux/iptables based firewall, i'm sure it's possible to set up so that you can both join and create games. Feel free to provide links to the manufacturer of smoothwall (with manuals and other information) so that we may investigate it further.
January 15, 2003, 1:46 PM
picklefromhawaii
If I remember correctly there is no simple way of opening up all the UDP ports.  I think I have to manually create a rule for each port :(.  Using the Web based browser.  I'll check it again.  Heres the web site www.smoothwall.org.
January 15, 2003, 4:17 PM
Savage
If you need a good wall go to the link in my profile go to downloads i think you'll be very happy with that wall
and its not bloated like zone , BI , or smooth
January 16, 2003, 7:59 AM
Adron
The site isn't all that useful, at least what I found wasn't.. No html docs, and seems to assume you're looking at the configuration gui.. Where did all the nice formalized syntax descriptions (that always used to be in linux software) go?
January 16, 2003, 5:02 PM
picklefromhawaii
Hope this doesnt sound too stupid but whats that?

[quote]root@box / kill 1

Works everytime. :-*[/quote]

To Savage: Thanks but I was hoping to use a dedicated firewall and not a personal firewall.
January 16, 2003, 7:00 PM
Savage
was only sending him to site for the wall i have there all though if your a stones fan i just put up some Live stones from this tour for dl :-)
January 16, 2003, 7:45 PM
iago
[quote]Hope this doesnt sound too stupid but whats that?
[/quote]

root is the superuser on the linux computer
kill 1 kills the process with pid=1, which I assume is the kernel or the os :-)
January 17, 2003, 11:35 AM
Thing
1 = init
January 17, 2003, 12:42 PM
iago
I knew I should've looked it up! :P
January 17, 2003, 2:41 PM

Search