Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Relatives computers ...

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
I'm at my mom's house, cleaning her computer ... several hours into it (dialup and AOL, double evil), have found these so far:

ADW.RULEDOR.C
BKDR.RULEDOR.E
BKDR.SANDBOX.A
BKDR.SDBOT.CY
TROJ.AGENT.BI
TROJ.AGENT.L
TROJ.REVOP.A
TROJ.REVOP.F
TROJ.SMALL.GO
WORM.BOBAX.A
WORM.BOBAX.C
WORM.SASSER.B

Plus deleted 12-20 adware/spyware/malware programs. Killed about 20 things from Run registry entries. Cleaned out 75% of Program Files\*

Nightmare. Might be easier to reinstall WinXP Pro SP1. Oh that's another thing, this box is completely unpatched. No SP1, nada.

Last time I was here, I installed WinXP Home and secured it for her. They later took it to a computer shop (they were confused over there being a C: and D: drive, thought it was slowing down the computer). The geniuses there installed XP Pro for her and left it unpatched and wide open.

I hate it when professionals help me.
June 15, 2004, 2:46 AM
Thing
I love that type of "professional". I especially enjoy bidding on jobs, losing them because I'm so high priced, and then have the company call me to come in and fix the crap the low bidder screwed up.

By the way, are you down with HijackThis. Nifty tool to keep in your bag when you are fighting browser hijacks..
June 15, 2004, 2:52 AM
Stealth
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=0#msg65323 date=1087267565]They later took it to a computer shop (they were confused over there being a C: and D: drive, thought it was slowing down the computer). The geniuses there installed XP Pro for her and left it unpatched and wide open.
[/quote]

That's really pathetic. Further proof that the entire success of internet worms lies squarely on the shoulders of stupid people.

Edit: While we're naming tools to have in your fix kit, here's two: BHODemon allows direct control over IE Browser Helper Objects, and Process Explorer is invaluable.
June 15, 2004, 2:55 AM
Grok
Well lucky me. I guess my corporate CDkey for Windows XP Professional is one of the 'banned' ones and does not work with the 'new Windows Update'. So even though I have installed XP Pro w/SP1, I cannot patch it further.

Worse even, because AOL modifies, no, hacks to death, the TCP/IP drivers, and I cannot even turn on the XP firewall. XP wants the original XP Pro SP1 CD, which I put in so it can replace the original TCP/IP files, and then AOL immediately patches it back.

So AOL doesn't let you use XP firewall?! Unfortunately Comcast and BellSouth have already pissed off my mom so much she refuses to go back to either of them. What a mess.
June 15, 2004, 9:30 PM
Mephisto
Uhh...broadband?
June 15, 2004, 11:37 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=0#msg65401 date=1087342638]
Uhh...broadband?
[/quote]

I don't know about where he lives but here my only choice for broadband is Comcast (Cable), Qwest (DSL), and whoever provides satellite internet services.

[quote]Unfortunately Comcast and BellSouth have already pissed off my mom so much she refuses to go back to either of them. What a mess.[/quote]

It sounds to me like he already answered your question of why not broadband...
June 15, 2004, 11:45 PM
DrivE
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=0#msg65323 date=1087267565]
I'm at my mom's house, cleaning her computer ... several hours into it (dialup and AOL, double evil), have found these so far:

ADW.RULEDOR.C
BKDR.RULEDOR.E
BKDR.SANDBOX.A
BKDR.SDBOT.CY
TROJ.AGENT.BI
TROJ.AGENT.L
TROJ.REVOP.A
TROJ.REVOP.F
TROJ.SMALL.GO
WORM.BOBAX.A
WORM.BOBAX.C
WORM.SASSER.B

Plus deleted 12-20 adware/spyware/malware programs. Killed about 20 things from Run registry entries. Cleaned out 75% of Program Files\*

Nightmare. Might be easier to reinstall WinXP Pro SP1. Oh that's another thing, this box is completely unpatched. No SP1, nada.

Last time I was here, I installed WinXP Home and secured it for her. They later took it to a computer shop (they were confused over there being a C: and D: drive, thought it was slowing down the computer). The geniuses there installed XP Pro for her and left it unpatched and wide open.

I hate it when professionals help me.
[/quote]

I feel your pain. Every time I run checks on my sister's or my mother's computer it proves to be fucked up beyond belief, and every time a "technician" comes out it goes from worse to "I can't fucking believe this" kind of worse.
June 16, 2004, 12:11 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=0#msg65383 date=1087335005]
Unfortunately Comcast and BellSouth have already pissed off my mom so much she refuses to go back to either of them. What a mess.
[/quote] comcast and bellsouth... the two providers in my town. Where exactly do you live? We could be neighbors, but even if we find out we are, don't worrie, I will not try to come and hang out with you.
June 16, 2004, 5:44 AM
hismajesty
The only cable provider in my area is Cox (maybe some local places too?), and the only DSL provider is Verizon.
June 16, 2004, 11:13 AM
LW-Falcon
We have Road runner for cable and SBC for dsl. I wish Cablevision was down here, Optimum online is fast as hell.
June 16, 2004, 11:49 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=0#msg65459 date=1087384411]
The only cable provider in my area is Cox (maybe some local places too?), and the only DSL provider is Verizon.
[/quote]

We have Cox for cable or Qwest for DSL. I have to say, Qwest DSL is pretty good -- we payed for 1mb service (theoretical max should be 125 kilobytes/sec, average at 100 kilobytes/sec), but during peak times even I sustain at 150 kilobytes/sec.
June 16, 2004, 5:20 PM
crashtestdummy
I've got cox for $25 a month for 3mb. But LSU students get a pretty good discount I think it runs $50 without the student ID.
June 16, 2004, 5:23 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=0#msg65485 date=1087406457]
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=0#msg65459 date=1087384411]
[/quote]

We have Cox for cable or Qwest for DSL. I have to say, Qwest DSL is pretty good -- we payed for 1mb service (theoretical max should be 125 kilobytes/sec, average at 100 kilobytes/sec), but during peak times even I sustain at 150 kilobytes/sec.
[/quote]

How much are you paying for the DSL service? I use Comcast cable, they say it is 4mbit and I usualy get between 350-450kb download speed. I am paying about $45 US a month for it.
June 16, 2004, 7:14 PM
crankycefx
Dialup!
w00t.

No cable OR DSL providers in my area.

fjear.
June 16, 2004, 7:34 PM
Archonist
[quote author=cefx- link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=0#msg65512 date=1087414466]
Dialup!
w00t.

No cable OR DSL providers in my area.

fjear.
[/quote]

[me=syslink]fjears.[/me]
June 16, 2004, 7:36 PM
crashtestdummy
I think this kinda goes along with the topic of this thread. There is a new worm out that overwrites itself in your norton or mcaffe folder. So you might wanna warn any of your family members of freinds who aren't educated in keeping their computers clean.
http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/security/news/article.php/3368431
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_126242.htm
I think the second link may be a little more detailed.
June 16, 2004, 8:41 PM
Grok
Well, I finally got her computer reformatted, reinstalled XP Pro SP1, fully patched (took two days on AOL -- explains why so many AOLers with dialup don't patch). Something freaky with AOL dies when I try to enable the XP firewall, so I left it off, not feeling like figuring out the ports needed. Before I left, I created a login for myself, added it to administrators and remote users group, and enabled terminal services.

Windows is such a catch-22. It is so easy for people to use, and with that comes ease for people to exploit it. But is that the case? Must it be the case? Does there really have to be a relationship between ease of use and ease of exploit? That subject needs its own thread.
June 19, 2004, 8:41 AM
crashtestdummy
Is it bad to post tutorials from other forums here? I know a good one for setting up a secure windows box. And couldn't you burn the patches at home and take them to their house.
June 19, 2004, 8:46 AM
iago
Windows doesn't make it easy to just download all their patches, either, I have yet to find the page to do it.

One thing I like, though, is how when you install OpenBSD, you are left with 0 port open. If you want to run any server, you have to specfically open the port. You don't _need_ a firewall, because nothing is listening. Windows, on the other hand, comes with 135, 137, and 445 open, which is the dumbest thing they ever did. People should have to explicitly open ports if they want to get exploited.
June 19, 2004, 6:09 PM
crashtestdummy
Over half of the people using computers don't even know what a port is. And if they made it more complicated they wouldn't sell any computers. And besides when some malicious little kid destroys someones HD they have to go buy another one.
June 19, 2004, 6:14 PM
Adron
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=15#msg66152 date=1087668578]
One thing I like, though, is how when you install OpenBSD, you are left with 0 port open. If you want to run any server, you have to specfically open the port. You don't _need_ a firewall, because nothing is listening. Windows, on the other hand, comes with 135, 137, and 445 open, which is the dumbest thing they ever did. People should have to explicitly open ports if they want to get exploited.
[/quote]

Not truly. It makes a lot of sense to keep file sharing services on if you're on a simple LAN, sharing things. Windows ran on LAN's before the Internet was ever close to what it is now. You might call it the dumbest thing they ever did not to close them once the Internet got common, but opening them in the first place wasn't so bad.
June 19, 2004, 7:26 PM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=15#msg66177 date=1087673189]
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=15#msg66152 date=1087668578]
[/quote]

Not truly. It makes a lot of sense to keep file sharing services on if you're on a simple LAN, sharing things. Windows ran on LAN's before the Internet was ever close to what it is now. You might call it the dumbest thing they ever did not to close them once the Internet got common, but opening them in the first place wasn't so bad.

[/quote]

Ok, I agree. But by the time windows xp was released, they should have made the default settings tighter for sure.
June 19, 2004, 7:30 PM
iago
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=15#msg66154 date=1087668842]
Over half of the people using computers don't even know what a port is. And if they made it more complicated they wouldn't sell any computers. And besides when some malicious little kid destroys someones HD they have to go buy another one.
[/quote]

Microsoft doesn't sell HDs. Besides, they don't have to know what a port is, but they should at least have to press a button to enable those features which has a big warning saying, "This might be dangerous!".
June 19, 2004, 7:31 PM
Jensen
Hmm this is the wierd thing i upgraded both of the cmputer in my house from 98 -> xp (big change) and on one (mine) the firewall was on by default and not on the other one so i had to turn it on and disable messenger...

also this comp at my work was like that from the profesionals, except i found 64 (how ironic) spy/adware programs on it when i got hired and sience then they reinstalled xp on it once so i ended up repatching/cleaning it for them just so i could stand using it

I should charge them for my services and see how fast i get fired lol
June 19, 2004, 7:50 PM
crashtestdummy
You don't think Bill Gates has any money invested in any of the major companies that make and sell hard drives. Or contracts with all the companies that sell Windows bundled with computers? I see him getting a peice of just about any computer hardware or software sold. But, maybe I'm off by a little bit.
June 19, 2004, 8:03 PM
DrivE
I just scanned my sister's computer with Ad-Aware and it found 587 files...
June 19, 2004, 8:09 PM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=15#msg66194 date=1087675744]
I just scanned my sister's computer with Ad-Aware and it found 587 files...
[/quote]

Your sister rules. But it's bad form to talk about sisters and not post pics.
June 19, 2004, 8:49 PM
DrivE
She's 13... and a fucking moron.
June 19, 2004, 9:03 PM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=15#msg66204 date=1087679031]
[/quote]

Mitosis might be her hero!
June 19, 2004, 9:29 PM
Hostile
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=7259;start=15#msg66204 date=1087679031]
[/quote]

Theres no telling how low Grok will go, should post the pic anyways. :P
June 20, 2004, 6:13 AM

Search