Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | Another server question (but this time with a twist :D)

AuthorMessageTime
peofeoknight
Ok the twist is I am using iis on xp pro (home server) not apache. Click on the my server link in my sig. You should get a request times out error message from your browser. It works locally from both of my pcs, but not remotely. I thought it was a router problem, but it is not a 404 (I do not think, I have not seen the message only heard about it). I am still in my dmz and my dns from the good people at www.no-ip.com is still current becuase my ip is almost completely static. Any ideas? Networking and printers are two things that I have no patients for.

[quote]
office space
pc load letter, what the f___ does that mean?
[/quote]
June 10, 2004, 6:32 AM
Thing
Are you allowing anonymous connections?
Do you have the correct default page set it the documents tab? index.html or whatever.
June 10, 2004, 12:43 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Thing link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg64533 date=1086871402]
Are you allowing anonymous connections?
Do you have the correct default page set it the documents tab? index.html or whatever.
[/quote] yes. What was the error message you got? I did not think that would be it because it is not a 403 error, it is a time out. I was looking at the connection time out settings and they seem to be in order. I am not sure if it is my router or iis. I am about to default the router and reinstall iis though. The default file is default.aspx that is all set. Default.asxp -> index.aspx -> default.asp -> index.asp -> default.html -> index.html is the order.
June 10, 2004, 6:02 PM
Adron
Check what IPs your web server is listening to. Perhaps you are firewalled? Perhaps your ISP firewalls you so you can't set up a web server on that IP?
June 11, 2004, 7:10 PM
peofeoknight
I just reformated and reinstalled windows at a lan party yesterday because I was having network problems, the install before that was fresh. I think I just got a bad windows install. Wha was happening with the network (huge pain in the ass) was I had to type in a computer ip on the network instead of the name because it could not get to the computer from the name. I also had other problems. But I bet this will fix iis since my software firewall was disabled, i was in a dmz, and all of the iis settings looked great. Ill reinstall iis tomorrow with adobe, dreamweaver, and office. Ill post back if it is fixed.
June 13, 2004, 2:22 AM
Adron
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg64962 date=1087093341]
Wha was happening with the network (huge pain in the ass) was I had to type in a computer ip on the network instead of the name because it could not get to the computer from the name.
[/quote]

This part sounds like you didn't have dns configured correctly. It most likely wouldn't require a reinstall to fix ;)
June 13, 2004, 10:03 AM
Eli_1
Eww, that happened to me after I installed the drivers for my ethernet card (I think).
June 13, 2004, 10:55 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Adron link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65015 date=1087120980]
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg64962 date=1087093341]
Wha was happening with the network (huge pain in the ass) was I had to type in a computer ip on the network instead of the name because it could not get to the computer from the name.
[/quote]

This part sounds like you didn't have dns configured correctly. It most likely wouldn't require a reinstall to fix ;)
[/quote] well I am too lazy to run my own dns, I just use www.noip.com I don't even have a domain, its a tesing server from my box. Still have not reinstalled iis btw. I do not really even need dns, for our purposes my ip is static, it has not changed for 6 months. Comcast has a persistant ip, where the ip likes to cling to the modem, but I can manually pull a new ip if I need to.
June 14, 2004, 6:31 AM
Adron
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65162 date=1087194674]
well I am too lazy to run my own dns, I just use www.noip.com I don't even have a domain, its a tesing server from my box. Still have not reinstalled iis btw. I do not really even need dns, for our purposes my ip is static, it has not changed for 6 months. Comcast has a persistant ip, where the ip likes to cling to the modem, but I can manually pull a new ip if I need to.
[/quote]

DNS lets you type in the name of a computer instead of the IP address. Well, DNS, hosts files, lmhosts files, WINS, and many other things work together, but DNS is the most common.
June 14, 2004, 8:51 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Adron link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65176 date=1087203105]
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65162 date=1087194674]
well I am too lazy to run my own dns, I just use www.noip.com I don't even have a domain, its a tesing server from my box. Still have not reinstalled iis btw. I do not really even need dns, for our purposes my ip is static, it has not changed for 6 months. Comcast has a persistant ip, where the ip likes to cling to the modem, but I can manually pull a new ip if I need to.
[/quote]

DNS lets you type in the name of a computer instead of the IP address. Well, DNS, hosts files, lmhosts files, WINS, and many other things work together, but DNS is the most common.
[/quote] I know I know, I just did not feel like running my own dns server and opening another port on my router. I use noip.com for free remote dynamic dns. But like I said I do not even need dns with a static ip... I can just use a redirect like .vze.com if I wanted to.
June 14, 2004, 3:26 PM
Adron
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65194 date=1087226777]
I know I know, I just did not feel like running my own dns server and opening another port on my router. I use noip.com for free remote dynamic dns. But like I said I do not even need dns with a static ip... I can just use a redirect like .vze.com if I wanted to.
[/quote]

If that's the case, and you chose not to use dns, I don't see why you mentioned that as a problem with your computer?

[quote]
[/quote]
June 14, 2004, 5:22 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Adron link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65215 date=1087233753]
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65194 date=1087226777]
I know I know, I just did not feel like running my own dns server and opening another port on my router. I use noip.com for free remote dynamic dns. But like I said I do not even need dns with a static ip... I can just use a redirect like .vze.com if I wanted to.
[/quote]

If that's the case, and you chose not to use dns, I don't see why you mentioned that as a problem with your computer?

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote] The network was the problem. I had a whole bunch of issues with the bad install of windows. When did I say dns in particular was a problem. The server is running now on this fresh windows install. I mentioned that I am running remote dynamic dns in my first post so you guys would know that it is not a dns problem. But the server is back up and it was a windows install problem. I had a whole bunch of networking problems on that install. Also notepad did not work lol.
June 15, 2004, 5:17 AM
Adron
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65339 date=1087276622]
The network was the problem. I had a whole bunch of issues with the bad install of windows. When did I say dns in particular was a problem. The server is running now on this fresh windows install. I mentioned that I am running remote dynamic dns in my first post so you guys would know that it is not a dns problem. But the server is back up and it was a windows install problem. I had a whole bunch of networking problems on that install. Also notepad did not work lol.
[/quote]

Just saying that remote dynamic dns has nothing to do with if your computer can resolve the names of other machines. Remote dynamic dns is a dns server, resolving the names of other machines is a dns client. Or a wins client, or ...
June 15, 2004, 4:10 PM
peofeoknight
I know that. But when remote people could not see my machine I tested the ip because the time out could have been the dns at that point, which it was not, because the timeout occured also when I used the ip.
June 15, 2004, 8:41 PM
Grok
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=22;threadid=7183;start=0#msg65377 date=1087332089]
I know that. But when remote people could not see my machine I tested the ip because the time out could have been the dns at that point, which it was not, because the timeout occured also when I used the ip.
[/quote]

It gets more muddled every time you explain it!
June 16, 2004, 2:29 AM
peofeoknight
ugh. Its fixed now...

In a nut shell, when remote people were going to my server it would say request timed out. I knew it was not the dns, because I do not host the dns and people going to the ip got the same error. I looked in the router, that looked fine, the iis settings looked fine. I had some other networking problems and it became apparent that I had a bad xp install anyway (I had just reinstalled a few days before). So I reinstalled again and now it works, a bad install is to blame. Does that clear it up any??? :-\
June 16, 2004, 5:41 AM
Jensen
just a suggestion is put a detect ip throught proxy there :) it should work, well it does for me if i use a proxy etc...

[code]
<%
if ((Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR"))="") Then
response.Write "Your Ip is " & Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")&"<br>"
Else
response.Write "You used a proxy (" &Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")&") and your Ip is "&Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR")&"<br>" End If
%>

[/code]

http://slackerz.mine.nu/example.asp
(note if you have comcast you may not be able to view w/o using a proxy)
June 16, 2004, 7:39 PM
peofeoknight
and what does that accomplish?
June 17, 2004, 6:00 AM
St0rm.iD
showoff?
June 17, 2004, 7:30 PM
Jensen
it just accomplises the fact that you can detect ip addresses through a proxy, and sorry the example is down my isp is having issues atm, i better clean up that code as it looks like sh*t anyway

showoff, I doubt that i hardly know ASP and i just noticed this by looking at the ALL_HTTP option of server varibles when i was viewing my page through a proxy and i saw that so im like kool, accually Userloser has this code more or less too but he didnt post it and i did
June 19, 2004, 8:20 PM
St0rm.iD
;) just messing with you no worries
June 19, 2004, 9:11 PM

Search