Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Weird display problem

AuthorMessageTime
K
I have this awful reoccuring problem display that is really starting to frustrate me. Here's the scoop: randomly, the screen will stretch horizontally. Here's a picture. Before, I could restore it back to normal by switching resolutions and then switching back to my old one. Now it stays across all resolutions and color depths. I can make it go back to normal by sliding the "Hardware Acceleration" display slider down to "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3d accelerations, as well as all cursor and advanced drawing accelerations. Use this setting to correct severe problems with DirectX accelerated applications;" However, it returns back to the distorted display when acceleration is reenabled.

Strangely, it also appears normal when I log off, and returns to distorted when I log back on.

What's going on here?
-Windows Server 2003
-Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200
--Driver Date: 3/24/2004
--Driver Version: 5.6.7.2
--Driver signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher

Edit: I've also noticed my display flickering when I run a new application or open a new window. Strangely, right after I posted, I closed the Nokia emulator and things went back to normal. When I reopened it, things were still normal.
June 8, 2004, 7:34 PM
iago
[quote author=K link=board=2;threadid=7157;start=0#msg64201 date=1086723274]
--Driver signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
[/quote]

Aha, there's the problem ;)

But seriously, try either updating or reinstalling your video card drivers and directx. If those are ok, try pulling out your video card and cleaning it. Also make sure the video card's fan is working, if it has one, or that it's not overheating. I had a problem with my video card overheating once, but it was a totally different effect.

If that doesn't work, if you have an onboard or old video card, try hooking that up and see if the same thing happens.

Hopefully, somethere there will help :)
June 8, 2004, 10:10 PM
Trance
I noticed your video card was using "plug and play" for the default monitor, perhaps you should try looking for some monitor drivers.
June 8, 2004, 10:36 PM
crankycefx
Go into Device Manager and ensure that it says it's working properly.

If it is, then what you should try is uninstalling the device and reinstalling.

If that doesn't work, go into the device properties in Device Manager, go to the driver tab, click on 'driver details', and manually remove the drivers as specified in there, from your hard drive.

If that doesn't work, PM me.

Peace.
June 9, 2004, 5:59 PM
K
I'd already checked and made sure device manager said everything was ok. I reinstalled my drivers and installed some drivers for my monitor (which weren't WHCP signed, but that's never stopped me before ;)) -- if it happens again I'll post back.

Iago -- Is there some utility I can download to check the temperature on my graphics card? I downloaded "Speed Fan" which claims to be reading the following:

Temp2: 51 deg. C
Temp1: 37 deg. C
HD0: 29 deg. C

Temp2 looks a little high; problem is, I don't know what exactly "Temp2" means.
June 9, 2004, 7:32 PM
crashtestdummy
I think you can check it with SANDRA:
http://download.guru3d.com/sandra/
It will also troubleshoot your problem a lil bit, too.
June 9, 2004, 8:40 PM
iago
[quote author=K link=board=2;threadid=7157;start=0#msg64366 date=1086809540]
Iago -- Is there some utility I can download to check the temperature on my graphics card? I downloaded "Speed Fan" which claims to be reading the following:
[/quote]

I put my finger on it and got burnt, so I pulled it out and it was turning brown :)
June 9, 2004, 8:52 PM
crankycefx
K:
Dude,
Uninstall the device (reboot) and reinstall it if XP doesn't by itself.
If that does not work...

Go into Device Manager, right-click the display adapter properties, click on the Driver tab, and click on Driver Details.

From there, you'll get a list of the drivers associated with that device, and where they are located.
Delete those from your hard drive, or just rename them, then restart, and start from scratch.

That *should* work.
Try those steps, and if you're still having problems, you can MSN me, or pm me.

Heh, trust me dude. This is my day job. :)
June 9, 2004, 9:15 PM
iago
[quote author=cefx- link=board=2;threadid=7157;start=0#msg64375 date=1086815734]
K:
Dude,
Uninstall the device (reboot) and reinstall it if XP doesn't by itself.
If that does not work...

Go into Device Manager, right-click the display adapter properties, click on the Driver tab, and click on Driver Details.

From there, you'll get a list of the drivers associated with that device, and where they are located.
Delete those from your hard drive, or just rename them, then restart, and start from scratch.

That *should* work.
Try those steps, and if you're still having problems, you can MSN me, or pm me.

Heh, trust me dude. This is my day job. :)
[/quote]

You sound like typical tech support, in that you completely ignored him when he said that he had already tried reinstalling the drivers. :P

And by the way, there's no reason for him to PM you, he's better off discussing it right in this thread where others can benifit from the assistance, too.
June 10, 2004, 12:31 AM
crankycefx
Haha, nice one iago.

"Reinstalling" the drivers isn't the route I told him to take.
Manually removing the drivers, uninstalling the device, and then reinstalling the drivers isn't the route he took, is it?

If so, I apologize. :)

We can take a whole new approach if you're right, iago.
June 10, 2004, 1:23 PM
iago
[quote author=cefx- link=board=2;threadid=7157;start=0#msg64536 date=1086873801]
Haha, nice one iago.

"Reinstalling" the drivers isn't the route I told him to take.
Manually removing the drivers, uninstalling the device, and then reinstalling the drivers isn't the route he took, is it?

If so, I apologize. :)

We can take a whole new approach if you're right, iago.
[/quote]

That's what it sounded like he said, anyway. But either way, the important part is I'd rather see it discussed here than on PMs.
June 10, 2004, 4:43 PM

Search