Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | Inet Control

AuthorMessageTime
MichaeL
Hey,

This is what I need to do. It will probably sound simple, but it's not working for me. I need to use an Inet Control, and have it go to a specified link, without opening explorer. For example, if I wanted it to go to www.google.com, I have been using the code:

Form1.Inet1.OpenURL "http://www.google.com"

It did this on a different site, and opened the exe about 5 times, and the Hit Counter on the site remained the same? Any help? A code would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

MichaeL
June 7, 2004, 7:46 PM
Spht
[quote author=MichaeL link=board=31;threadid=7133;start=0#msg63987 date=1086637606]
Hey,

This is what I need to do. It will probably sound simple, but it's not working for me. I need to use an Inet Control, and have it go to a specified link, without opening explorer. For example, if I wanted it to go to www.google.com, I have been using the code:

Form1.Inet1.OpenURL "http://www.google.com"

It did this on a different site, and opened the exe about 5 times, and the Hit Counter on the site remained the same? Any help? A code would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

MichaeL
[/quote]

You ran that code and it opened a different site and ran a program 5 times, but yet the page didn't detect your visit? What? How do you know the Inet instance visited that other site and not the one you meant to go to (google.com)?
June 7, 2004, 8:28 PM
MichaeL
Sorry, if I confused you, i used the site: www.gamergang.com. No hits came up, I still need a code. :/
June 7, 2004, 11:05 PM
The-FooL
Hes looking to make a program that will increaes the hits to his site.
June 8, 2004, 12:12 AM
Adron
Perhaps the hit counter only counts IE visits? Perhaps the hit counter counts loads of some particular image or subframe on that page? Perhaps the hit counter is based on vbscript or javascript or cookies being set or something else that isn't just "loading the page"?

A web browser does many things other than just downloading a page...
June 8, 2004, 1:43 AM
Stealth
Perhaps the counter tracks unique hits? (E107 may be advanced enough for that)
June 8, 2004, 2:50 AM
MichaeL
I was talking to a friend about this. He said that Inet only goes to a site to get data, or see if the site exists, so for example, it wont click on a link, is that true?
June 8, 2004, 6:55 PM
Stealth
It downloads the contents of the website, which would trick a simple enough counter into believing it was a pageview.
June 8, 2004, 8:55 PM
Lycaon
Easiest solution: Put this in a module:

[code]
Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" (ByVal pCaller As Long, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As Long) As Long

Public Function OpenURL(sURL As String) As Boolean

OpenURL = URLDownloadToFile(0, sURL, "C:\Windows\Temp\whatever.html", 0, 0) = 0)

End Sub[/code]

Returns True if the page was downloaded, False if it wasn't.

Quick and dirty, but not friendly. If you want a more powerful class that'll do the same but with more control, let me know.
June 8, 2004, 9:27 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Stealth link=board=31;threadid=7133;start=0#msg64071 date=1086663045]
Perhaps the counter tracks unique hits? (E107 may be advanced enough for that)
[/quote]

His site displays all hits, with a seperate area for unique.
June 8, 2004, 9:33 PM
Scope
I added a Navigate module into my bot to easily open IE / Netscape / MSN / AOL browsers. Whatever was available at the time. If you add one of those your code could be as simple as:

Navigate "http://www.url.com"
June 30, 2004, 2:25 AM
crashtestdummy
Which if his site reads unique hits it still won't count. Or is that wrong?
June 30, 2004, 3:16 AM

Search