Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | RIP President Ronald W. Reagan (1911-2004)

AuthorMessageTime
Raven
Truly one of the greatest presidents in the history of our nation. His domestic, as well as foreign policy are things legends are made of, earning him the respect of peers and critics alike. But thankfully, he hopefully lived a long and very fulfilling life. He will be missed and remembered, while his legacy continues to live on and his scores of deeds continue to resonate in the US as well as the world abroad. May he rest in peace and satisfaction. :)
June 5, 2004, 10:28 PM
hismajesty
Although it upsets me that he's gone, at least he's no longer suffering from Alzheimers.

Full Story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5144264/
June 6, 2004, 12:14 AM
Trance
Being born during his presidency, I was unable to see what the man did in person. However, looking on the things he has accomplished, and the publics reaction this afternoon. I can now grasp the greatness of the man. I really admire his marriage with Nancy, you just don't see that kind of thing that often in America anymore.

Strange though, I was in Santa Monica yesterday (where his body is being taken currently). I never would have guessed a former president would be gracing the same streets I was driving on.
June 6, 2004, 12:45 AM
peofeoknight
He was our nations greatest president arguably, but certainly our greatest for what he did for the economy. His economic policy, reaganomics was out standing. "Are you better off then you were for years ago?". He was in his 70s during his second term, so he was waiting to die. Now I am kind of sad, but its sadder that he got alzheimers.
June 6, 2004, 2:58 AM
warz
[quote author=Trance link=board=2;threadid=7111;start=0#msg63780 date=1086482719]
Being born during his presidency, I was unable to see what the man did in person. However, looking on the things he has accomplished, and the publics reaction this afternoon. I can now grasp the greatness of the man. I really admire his marriage with Nancy, you just don't see that kind of thing that often in America anymore.

Strange though, I was in Santa Monica yesterday (where his body is being taken currently). I never would have guessed a former president would be gracing the same streets I was driving on.
[/quote]

You are totally gay.
June 6, 2004, 8:26 AM
Forged
[quote]He was our nations greatest president arguably[/quote]

I would have to say no...
FDR was much beter than he was.
June 6, 2004, 9:45 PM
Grok
[quote author=Forged link=board=2;threadid=7111;start=0#msg63880 date=1086558332]

[/quote]

Explain your position.
June 6, 2004, 9:48 PM
Hitmen
New record for speed in taking a post off topic?
June 6, 2004, 11:00 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Forged link=board=2;threadid=7111;start=0#msg63880 date=1086558332]

[/quote] FDR was a man of his time, he was not neccessarily better then regan. If there were no war FDR would not have benn very spectacular. He lead well during the war though, he was a strong leader for that. Much like his relative Teddy (forgot if they were cousins or what) who was a strong leader, but much more of an a hole.
June 7, 2004, 12:05 AM
Forged
[quote]Explain your position. [/quote]
To be honest I really don't know much about reagen as he was before my time.

FDR However took us out of the great depression and brought in the first little bit of socailism to our country.
June 7, 2004, 1:48 AM
Twix
If Regan died and people calling him the greatest president when bush dies will we be calling him the worse president?
June 7, 2004, 1:56 AM
crashtestdummy
I really don't see any one president as the best they did the best with what they were given. To judge the best I think they all would have had to be in the same position.

But I don't think reagan deserves the disrespect of turning a post that was meant to pay homage into an arguement.
June 7, 2004, 2:24 AM
Grok
I liked Reagan because he did what was right for the US, and for the World, through peace. He had the respect of his adversaries like few people could. When he asked Russia to disarm nukes with him, he meant it. I served four years under Reagan, and two under the first Bush (which was just a continuation of Reagan).

But if peace didn't work and he needed to use force, he could recognize when diplomacy failed, as in Libya, and just go get the job done.
June 7, 2004, 2:48 AM
peofeoknight
reagan did wonders for the economy too, he brought us out of a massive recession, that is why he is brutal. FDR did not bring us out of the depression, world was two did, and he mobilized the country for that war. He was a good president but a better general, thats how he acted during that war. Besides how he handled the war he did not do much else. The depression would have ended no matter who was president because of the war, even if we would have lost because we would be under someone elses control out of the depression and depressed because we are being tortured. Bush is not the worst president, I resent arguments like that, because I think bush is alright. The worst might be taft, but there have been many abysmal ones through history... actually nevermind grant had to be. His cabinet was corrupt, he was an idiot, the country suffered a ton. He got caught in a railroad scandal, credit moblier or whatever, and he just sucked big time all in all. Carter was a nasty president too, he was a good guy, he just had a hard time, things didn't go his way, with the iran hostage crisis and all. He was smart too, nuclear engineer and a peanut farmer.
June 7, 2004, 3:40 AM
Stealth
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=7111;start=0#msg63918 date=1086576523]
I liked Reagan because he did what was right for the US, and for the World, through peace. He had the respect of his adversaries like few people could. When he asked Russia to disarm nukes with him, he meant it. I served four years under Reagan, and two under the first Bush (which was just a continuation of Reagan).

But if peace didn't work and he needed to use force, he could recognize when diplomacy failed, as in Libya, and just go get the job done.
[/quote]

Grok, you're right-on as usual.
June 7, 2004, 4:21 AM

Search