Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Processor and MB temps

AuthorMessageTime
Thing
What mobo / processor combination are you running and at what temps?

I am running a ASUS P4P800 with a P4 3.0 800fsb not overclocked. During average goofing around, the temps run CPU ~ 60 / MB ~ 42. During any kind of gaming or activity that uses some cycles, the temps jump to CPU ~ 75 / MB ~ 47. This seems a bit high to me and I have found a wide range of thoughts on what nominal P4 temps should be. For those of you that don't habla, those are Celsius. http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

I am extra curious to what Grok's temps are since he has a similar but faster setup.
June 5, 2004, 2:57 PM
Grok
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=7104;start=0#msg63680 date=1086447457]
I am extra curious to what Grok's temps are since he has a similar but faster setup.
[/quote]

Current: CPU 32C, MB 36C. Room temp: 70F.

You probably don't have enough fans or in the right configuration. Make sure air flows in one direction through your chasis. I have seen people accidentally make all fans point in, or all point out, which creates a zero-flow situation, leading to overheating.

Did you put sufficient thermal goo on the CPU/Fan contact surface? Doublecheck the CPU fan mounting. Maybe one foot is loose.

What is your P/S brand and model? I remember you saying something about an Antec chasis+PSU, and if so you're probably OK there.

I'll bring up UT2004 for a few minutes and check the temperatures again.

Gaming: CPU 48C, MB 40C. Room temp: 70F.
June 5, 2004, 3:13 PM
Hostile
I say stick the whole thing in a small refridgerator, top shelf = computer, bottom shelf = beer. You'll never have to get up.
June 5, 2004, 5:28 PM
Grok
[img]http://www.valhallalegends.com/pub/ASuSProbe.jpg[/img]
June 5, 2004, 6:14 PM
Thing
I am using this case: http://www.antec-inc.com/us/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15728
I popped the top off and the temps are holding at:
CPU 45C
MB 40C
Air Temp 23C

This tells me that I need to tidy up my wires and add another fan to the case. Since I'm still running 13C hotter than you, another contributor may be the hard drive stack. It is right next to the processor and is blocking the air flow on one side of the heat sink fins. I'm going to look at other heat sink / fan combinations that pull air differently.

Ahh screw it! I'll just get the small fridge like Hostile suggested. :D
June 5, 2004, 6:20 PM
Grok
Antec's primary goal is the quietest possible cooling.
CoolerMaster's primary goal is the coolest possible machine, noise is a secondary concern. So my case has exceptional cooling characteristics but my friends point out it is much louder than most. The two SATA drives (one Western Digital 120GB, one Seagate 200GB) are quite loud, but they are mounted behind two front case fans, keeping them quite cool.

The case fans are so good at cooling that my Antec PSU fan runs at low speed, at times cutting off entirely. Look at the above numbers: Power at 1140 RPM. The ASUS probe RPM threshold is at 600 rpm, and sometimes the PSU fan cuts off, because there's no heat to be removed. This pops up an annoying warning that my fan must be broken. Hehe.
June 5, 2004, 6:29 PM
Hostile
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=7104;start=0#msg63698 date=1086459614]
Ahh screw it! I'll just get the small fridge like Hostile suggested. :D
[/quote]
hehe, thats the spirit!
[quote author=Hostile link=board=27;threadid=6937;start=0#msg61631 date=1085441277]
Antec Lifestyle series rocks but its made for Adrons, not Hostiles. (Its quite but is more meant for the lower-midranged comps due to if you replace the fan and the power-supply with something else its pointless to get in the first place.[/quote]
- Like I said in our other thread, and as Grok has pointed out... This is just a give and take situation where you can't get best of both worlds without adding the third aspect of cost. You may want organize the wires and stick anouther quiet fan in if you can but you can't do much more then that without sacrificing the main benefit of getting an Antec Lifestyle series case, silence.

Edit: Unless of course you do put it in a mini-fridge. hehe :P
June 5, 2004, 8:06 PM
peofeoknight
proc about 90f. its a p4 2.6 w/ ht (its got dynamic ocing, but right now it is running at stock)
case air temp is 80f
mobo temp is 87 - 88 (msi neo 858p - v)
room temp is about 70f.
June 5, 2004, 8:07 PM
Thing
Update:

I purchased and installed a Vanteck Aeroflow for the CPU. I also installed a PCI slot fan and set it near the video card fan to pull that heat out of the case. Temps dropped 15C and the whole system is whisper quiet. I'm still going to buy some rolled cables to help increase air flow through the case. Antec cases kick ass but you'll need to have a good temperature management plan to keep them cool.

Important safety tip. When your processor is welded to the heat sink, soak the joint in some rubbing alcohol before you take the hammer to it.
June 17, 2004, 12:15 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=7104;start=0#msg65549 date=1087431319]
Important safety tip. When your processor is welded to the heat sink, soak the joint in some rubbing alcohol before you take the hammer to it.
[/quote]
Why the hell would the processor be welded to the heatsink..?
June 17, 2004, 12:22 AM
DrivE
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=7104;start=0#msg63694 date=1086456534]
I say stick the whole thing in a small refridgerator, top shelf = computer, bottom shelf = beer. You'll never have to get up.
[/quote]

Ah yes, beer. The cause of AND solution to, all of life's problems.
June 17, 2004, 2:13 AM
Arta
I'm running an XP 3000+, mobo is an Abit KD7-S.

Surface: 46C
Code: 44C
North Bridge: 58C
June 17, 2004, 12:31 PM
Thing
[quote]Why the hell would the processor be welded to the heatsink..?[/quote]
I got the bright idea to remove the heat sink, clean the thermal goo and replace it with some new goo. I couldn't find my goo so I used one of those square heat pad things (They Suck).

Computer on.
Temerature alarm on.
Computer off.
Welding complete.
June 17, 2004, 12:44 PM
Adron
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=7104;start=0#msg63715 date=1086466025]
proc about 90f.
[/quote]

My cpu is around 90, °C.
June 17, 2004, 5:59 PM
K
Board: 50.0C / 122.0 F (MSI MS-6380)
CPU: 53.5C / 128.3F (Athlon XP 2000+)

June 17, 2004, 7:05 PM
Grok
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=7104;start=0#msg65602 date=1087476293]
[quote]Why the hell would the processor be welded to the heatsink..?[/quote]
I got the bright idea to remove the heat sink, clean the thermal goo and replace it with some new goo. I couldn't find my goo so I used one of those square heat pad things (They Suck).

Computer on.
Temerature alarm on.
Computer off.
Welding complete.
[/quote]

Haha. Heat RUTS Thing.
June 19, 2004, 8:25 AM

Search