Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Big Problem

AuthorMessageTime
Noodlez
So I was playing a game and my computer suddenly turned off. It was no big deal, I automatically assumed my graphics card overheated or something like that. I tried to turn it back on, but no go. I waited 5 minutes, turned it on and I hear the fan just barely start, and my speakers make that popping noise they make when the computer gets turned on; and then it dies. So I figure it's still too hot, I get some compressed air and let that shit rip. Go hop in the shower and then try and turn it back on. Same thing happened. I checked all the cables and RAM/video card are tighlty in and all properly connected. Internally it looks perfect. I have no fucking clue what's wrong. Any help?
June 4, 2004, 4:34 AM
Stealth
Sounds like a power supply problem.. Is the fan on the PSU spinning up?
June 4, 2004, 4:44 AM
peofeoknight
Um, it could be a few things. You are going to have to trial and error it. Take out the motherboard and put it back in, it might have shorted on something. Test it with a new psu. If its the proc or ram it would turn on and give you a beep error code. So either your mobo is fried or just temporarily messed up, or your psu is messed up. Heat won't keep a machine off unless you ripped the hsf off your proc... the proc might not burn (athalon xp64, intel, and some motherboards down clock the proc with temp so they do not burn) but the system is not going to run either way.

Just for the heck of it try a new outlet, its always a bitch to find out you have spent all night screwing around with something trying to get it to work on the outlet was dead or the outlet was not turned on, or even better the surge protector is turned off. Lol, I have had that happen to me, I was pissed.
June 4, 2004, 4:49 AM
Hitmen
This post by Grok seems like a good way to go about finding the problem.
June 4, 2004, 4:49 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=7091;start=0#msg63537 date=1086324594]
This post by Grok seems like a good way to go about finding the problem.
[/quote] Taking everything out would be good just so junk does not get torn up, but in this case, we know the hard drive, video card, ram, and processor are not the cause. But just for the hell of it take it all out.

Wait if I am reading it right the pc is not comeing on at all, is it turning on and just not posting?
June 4, 2004, 4:51 AM
Raven
I'd also probably guess that it may have something to do with your power supply. Your computer could've turned off due to a temporary blackout (those happen sometimes). Did any other appliances in your room or house turnoff or reset at about the same time? Anyway, normally, it would've been like a reboot, but if it's your PS, then that could be the reason. I think you should contact the tech support of your system's manufacturer and they should be able to help you.

BTW, if you're experiencing overheating problem with your video card, it might just be a good idea to invest in a new one or if it's still under warranty, getting a replacement. Goodluck! :)
June 4, 2004, 4:52 AM
Forged
I have noticed that sometimes during a storm or even at random sometimes my computer will cut off, and when I try and cut it back on all I hear is my powersupply fan going and a really annoying clicking noise. I have also found that just leaving my computer off, and cutting my power supply off then going to bed and trying it again in the morning tends to work just fine.
June 4, 2004, 6:20 AM
LW-Falcon
It is most likely your power supply since if something else was wrong your computer would at least turn on and stay on. I would contact your manufacturer and ask them.
June 4, 2004, 2:37 PM
Eli_1
I had the exact same symptoms your having a few weeks ago. I ultimatly ended up replacing the power supply and it works, just make sure you get the same type as your motherboard (AT vs. ATX).
June 4, 2004, 4:28 PM
Noodlez
Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to isolate the problem and found that it was the power supply. It couldn't handle an overclocked radeon9800 being pushed for 2+ hours (along with 2 fans and a bunch of lights). It still doesn't make sense though, it was a 500watt psu. Contacting the manufacturer was out of the question, since I built it. Anyway, when I get home I'm gonna throw in an old psu and take it easy until I get a new one
June 4, 2004, 5:51 PM
Stealth
Yeah, the power supply never had juice. I had him try different outlets, different power cables, and finally a different power supply last night.
June 4, 2004, 6:54 PM
Maddox
It could have just burnt out from overuse. There's nothing there that indicates your graphics card caused that specifically.
June 4, 2004, 10:06 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Maddox link=board=2;threadid=7091;start=0#msg63595 date=1086386802]
It could have just burnt out from overuse. There's nothing there that indicates your graphics card caused that specifically.
[/quote]
An overclocked radeon 9800 would probably consume the most power out of anything he has in that computer...
June 4, 2004, 10:12 PM
Noodlez
For those that care, I'm getting this beauty http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-148-008&depa=0

That shouldn't go out until I get an overclocked XT800 with an overclocked AMD3200
June 5, 2004, 12:03 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Noodlez link=board=2;threadid=7091;start=0#msg63574 date=1086371474]
Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to isolate the problem and found that it was the power supply. It couldn't handle an overclocked radeon9800 being pushed for 2+ hours (along with 2 fans and a bunch of lights). It still doesn't make sense though, it was a 500watt psu. Contacting the manufacturer was out of the question, since I built it. Anyway, when I get home I'm gonna throw in an old psu and take it easy until I get a new one
[/quote] ummmm how big is your current psu? a little 200 won't be good for ocing, but I can run my whole system on 200watt as a backup. I run a 400 from day to day and I have never had a problem. Why a 520? Personally, If I bought a new psu any time soon, which I really do not need, it would be a silent one.
June 5, 2004, 8:24 PM
crashtestdummy
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc{tDesc.asp?description=17-148-008&depa=0

Noodlez you have to put [url] [./url] tags without the . around large urls for it to work right. Mistake I made a while back:)
June 5, 2004, 9:09 PM
peofeoknight
- ends the url parsing of the forum. Its one of many characters that should kill it. ( or ) should too.
June 5, 2004, 9:59 PM

Search