Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Windows 2k3 Server (Overview)

AuthorMessageTime
Archonist
For anyone that cares, this is what I've seen/had to do so far.

Alright, first was the install. Burned to CD, worked fine. Installed perfect. Set my sizes better, worked fine.

Services: Had to disable//enable some services. Enabled 'Themes' so I could use more then just the windows classic theme. (I disabled them again, I have no use for those ugly XP themes. :P)

Graphics ran pretty slow until I remembered to install the drivers. :\ Ran dxdiag (DirectX) for some hardware acceleration, now they work perfect.

Sound.. It didn't find my soundcard, so I had to install that.

(I'll edit everytime I see something new.)
May 29, 2004, 10:35 PM
Mephisto
Is this an overview of how it's used as a workstation? Because it sure sounds like it...
May 30, 2004, 12:41 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=syslink link=board=2;threadid=7033;start=0#msg62692 date=1085870150]
For anyone that cares, this is what I've seen/had to do so far.

Alright, first was the install. Burned to CD, worked fine. Installed perfect. Set my sizes better, worked fine.

Services: Had to disable//enable some services. Enabled 'Themes' so I could use more then just the windows classic theme. (I disabled them again, I have no use for those ugly XP themes. :P)

Graphics ran pretty slow until I remembered to install the drivers. :\ Ran dxdiag (DirectX) for some hardware acceleration, now they work perfect.

Sound.. It didn't find my soundcard, so I had to install that.

(I'll edit everytime I see something new.)
[/quote]

Well you seem to be figuring things out for yourself. Keep up the good work, and I am sure most of the people on these forums capable of helping you when you need it will.
May 30, 2004, 12:46 AM
Archonist
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=7033;start=0#msg62707 date=1085877694]
Is this an overview of how it's used as a workstation? Because it sure sounds like it...
[/quote]

Obviously, hence my last thread. I just wanted to show the before and after effects for anyone that wanted to try 2k3 server for a workstation.
May 30, 2004, 1:58 AM
K
I guess I should repost this link here.

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

It goes through several steps you may want to do when setting up Server 2k3 as a workstation, including enabling hardware video and sound acceleration, directx, creating a different user account, enabling the scanner/camera service, enabling drag-and-drop cd burning, etc.
May 30, 2004, 2:45 AM
Archonist
[quote author=K link=board=2;threadid=7033;start=0#msg62723 date=1085885127]
I guess I should repost this link here.

http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

It goes through several steps you may want to do when setting up Server 2k3 as a workstation, including enabling hardware video and sound acceleration, directx, creating a different user account, enabling the scanner/camera service, enabling drag-and-drop cd burning, etc.
[/quote]

Yeah, I should have included that. It helped me with a bunch of problems.
May 30, 2004, 2:48 AM
peofeoknight
I used to run w2k3 as a home os because it is great for gameing. Runs much faster then xp.
June 3, 2004, 12:53 AM

Search