Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | C/C++ Programming | The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup

AuthorMessageTime
cefx
Howdy,

Has anyone bought/read/used this book?

Opinions/comments welcomed.
I'm on a mission.

Peace.
May 28, 2004, 7:34 AM
Eibro
[quote author=cefx link=board=30;threadid=6995;start=0#msg62290 date=1085729662]
Howdy,

Has anyone bought/read/used this book?

Opinions/comments welcomed.
I'm on a mission.

Peace.
[/quote]I've read bits and pieces. IMO, it's a very difficult read compared to other books. I wouldn't recommend starting here, there are better books for a beginner.
May 28, 2004, 10:40 AM
Adron
It's a great book though. For all the competent readers out there, it's just what you need!
May 28, 2004, 4:15 PM
Grok
The book is a concise explanation of the language, including the design considerations for the features. The author goes into minor detail about the tradeoffs made when developing and evolving C++ from the days of "C with Classes" until its later versions.

If you have a structured mind, and like reading technical texts which build logically on previous concepts, you will greatly enjoy this book.
May 29, 2004, 4:39 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Grok link=board=30;threadid=6995;start=0#msg62547 date=1085805565]
The book is a concise explanation of the language, including the design considerations for the features. The author goes into minor detail about the tradeoffs made when developing and evolving C++ from the days of "C with Classes" until its later versions.

If you have a structured mind, and like reading technical texts which build logically on previous concepts, you will greatly enjoy this book.
[/quote]

Ah the best review yet! I will be buying this book as soon as I build up my desire to venture into C++. ;D
May 29, 2004, 8:41 PM
crankycefx
I don't have any programming background...so of course I'm not *starting* with that book.

I'm reading through the tutorial on cplusplus.com. It's brief, but it outlines a lot of stuff. But what do I know? lol.

Anyways, the book should be coming in a week or two..plenty of time to buy a computer, set up *nix (Screw Windows. Heh.) and finish with cplusplus.com
May 30, 2004, 5:54 AM
Fire
It's an excellent reference for you to use.
June 2, 2004, 6:43 AM
Mephisto
Note: Beginners should not use this book. Before purchasing familiarize yourself with basic C and C++ at http://www.cprogramming.com or other tutorials. I read through it at a local bookstore recently and found that it expected you to know some of the basics and vaguely went over some of them...
June 9, 2004, 7:58 AM
crankycefx
Update:
The local store didn't have the book in stock, so I ended up ordering The C Programming Language by Kernigan and Ritchie

How the tides turn, heh. I think I'd rather C, learn that for a year or two, then venture to C++...(further down the road: Assemble?! I wish..)

On a lesser, and virtually unimportant note:
Mephisto,

Woah! That's so incredibly observant of you!
Please read Grok and Adron's post.
Thank you.

Cheers.
June 9, 2004, 5:36 PM
iago
[quote author=cefx- link=board=30;threadid=6995;start=0#msg64357 date=1086802582]
Update:
The local store didn't have the book in stock, so I ended up ordering The C Programming Language by Kernigan and Ritchie
[/quote]

I keep that book by my computer, although I don't really use it anymore. Definately a good book, though, since they invented the language :)
June 9, 2004, 6:02 PM
Grok
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=30;threadid=6995;start=0#msg64315 date=1086767916]
Note: Beginners should not use this book. Before purchasing familiarize yourself with basic C and C++ at http://www.cprogramming.com or other tutorials. I read through it at a local bookstore recently and found that it expected you to know some of the basics and vaguely went over some of them...
[/quote]

Where did you find it to be vague? I thought it was incrementally educational. Not once did I find a section that introduced new material that would not be explained until later, unless it referenced that later section.
June 9, 2004, 8:57 PM
Arta
I think it's a great book, I'd recommend it.
June 9, 2004, 10:42 PM

Search