Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | 128 woes

AuthorMessageTime
peofeoknight
My motherboard died and newegg did not have any of the same model in stock, so they sent out a pretty good replacement. When it gets here, I bust out a spare 40gig (moved the files to my mom's hd and from that to my 80 a day before) and put the new motherboard in my box. Turn it all on expecting to reformat and install xp. Then Boom, I get a ram error. Drop my 512 stick in another system, works fine, but put my 128 stick in my new motherboard works fine. Looked at some white papers, turnd out my ram is not listed as being compadable with the new motherboard... it says if it does not explicitly say your ram is compadable, it does not mean it is not compadable it just means that we do not know. Well anyways, it looks like my ram is incompadabale (the numbers match, its a brand thing, where the board should support the ram but something just isn't happy somewhere along the line) so I am stuck on this crap 128 stick till I can get this 512 stick replaced. All because geil ram does not get along with msi boards... either that or msi motherboards do not get along with geil ram. I think its the geil, I have had problems with them before. So till I get more ram I can't do crap for gameing. Spent a week without gameing waiting for the new mobo, now another waiting for new ram. Just the thing to piss me off.
May 26, 2004, 4:30 AM
Trance
Get a Kingston stick! Go go!
May 26, 2004, 6:19 AM
LW-Falcon
Corsair XMS ddrs are nice.
May 26, 2004, 6:24 AM
peofeoknight
well crucial and mushkin are good too. Maybe newegg can hook me up with something decent for a replacement. I love newegg, they always come through for me in the end.
May 26, 2004, 5:49 PM
Naem
I bought a gig of Corsair a while ago and I love it. Go Corsair :)
May 27, 2004, 10:35 AM
peofeoknight
Well I loved my gold dragon, geil gold dragon has stacked wafer construction so everything will run cooler and faster, but I just wish geil woul freaken aggree, I have had other problems with geil ram not aggreeing when running side by ide with kingston, when kingston is easy going and will want to aggree with everything else it seems.
May 27, 2004, 8:50 PM
Stealth
How can it not "agree"? Are they different types of RAM? (PC3200 vs PC2700) ? Are their timings set differently?
May 27, 2004, 9:12 PM
peofeoknight
The kingston and the geil were not compadible together. Their numbers were all the same, its one of those brand quirks. I know it is odd, but they simply did not work together. Its like the geil not working in my new motherboard when it has all of the right numbers the motherboard should support. Ram can be a little quirky sometimes.

The speed of ram should not affect it, the faster ram will simply slow down to match the slower ram. Cas latency on the other hand would cause stop errors, or the system would not boot. But the speed alone should not affect it.
May 27, 2004, 11:28 PM
Stealth
Very strange indeed.
May 28, 2004, 2:19 AM

Search