Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Riding over Niagara Falls!

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
One thing I've always wanted to experience was the death-defying ride over Niagara Falls, so here I was waving to my friends and familiy who were lining the sides as I approached the last few meters before going over. My life did not flash before my eyes as people say happens right before you die. Instead I entered a total calm, because the noise was overwhelming as was the cold and the power of the water around me.

When my body went over, feet first, I stayed relaxed and had my eyes closed. I had submerged just before going over, as the currents ripped me underneath at the last second. So there was no view of falling to be seen. The few seconds it took to be crashed into the water below and merged into the depth did not seem like an eternity, nor did it pass faster than time. It took what it took.

Trying to stay relaxed, I am deep underwater but still being thrown and tossed in all directions, by water and bubbles. I fought the temptation to inhale now, but instead remembered that it is the body's need to get rid of carbon dioxide that makes it want to breath. So I exhaled slowly, which I had practiced for weeks in smaller falls.

Then I pulled the cord on my vest and the CO2 cartridge inflated it. 45 seconds after going over, I floated to the surface near the calmer but still turbulent whitewater.

Despite all the preparation for the stunt, my heart was racing. I took deep breaths and tried to relax, but enjoying the victory over nature. As I floated further past the falls, I started looking for the stores where they sell those green t-shirts saying "I Did It! I Went Over Niagara Falls!"

That should have tipped me off. As if so many people go over the falls that there is a profitable business selling T-shirts to those who survive. What did tip me off is when I realized I was sweating, and that thanks to the Tylenol, had just broken the fever I had earlier tonight. I rolled over on my left side and snuggled my head into my pillow, glad that I wasn't so stupid as to try floating over Niagara Falls, and went back to sleep.
May 25, 2004, 4:07 AM
Fr0z3N
Haha good one. I live an hour drive away from Niagara Falls.
May 25, 2004, 4:12 AM
Tuberload
Very descriptive, I could visualize the whole event. Funny ending too.
May 25, 2004, 4:29 AM
Newby
Haha. Good read. :)
May 25, 2004, 4:33 AM
Mephisto
So what's the story count so far for both fiction and non-fictional Grok?
May 25, 2004, 4:52 AM
LW-Falcon
Nice. ;D
May 25, 2004, 4:54 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=2;threadid=6950;start=0#msg61714 date=1085459342]
Very descriptive, I could visualize the whole event. Funny ending too.
[/quote]

I agree, it was very descriptive. Painted a nice picture in my head. :)
May 25, 2004, 6:51 PM

Search