Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Which Operating System do you Utilize?

AuthorMessageTime
Mephisto
I was just curious as to what some of the people on these forums use as an operating system on their computers. Just post what you use in different places (if you use more than one). :)

I have a testing computer that I've thrown about 15 different operating systems on, mostly Linux though I was never really satisifed with Linux so I never used it much afterwards.

On my other computer I threw Windows XP Professional which I threw all my development tools on. Though recently my family has used it.

On my computer I use mostly for now I recently had Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional, but recently upgraded the operating system to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. It turns out that in my experience Windows Server 2003 is more reliable, has more security, networking features, better memory/resource management, is faster performance-wise partly due to kernel changes (it's NT 5.2 as oppose to XP NT kernel 5.1). I've discovered that many people are starting to use Windows Server 2003 as a workstation OS (like I have) by editing some registry files, re-enabling disabled services, etc. and ultimately it becomes Windows XP slapped onto a bunch of server features and ultimately a better operating system. (there, lots of rambling ;))
May 24, 2004, 12:28 AM
iago
2 of my computers - Windows XP
my laptop - Windows XP/Slackware 9.1
May 24, 2004, 12:35 AM
Grok
DOS 3.3

No, seriously:
Home: Windows 2003 Server Standard
Laptop: Windows XP Professional
Work(desk): Windows 2000 Server
with VMWare running Windows 98, Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro, to test programs on each platform.
May 24, 2004, 12:42 AM
Mephisto
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61446 date=1085359365]
DOS 3.3

No, seriously:
with VMWare running Windows 98, Windows 2000 Pro, Windows XP Pro, to test programs on each platform.
[/quote]

Just curious, why would you continue to use Windows Server 2000 and not upgrade to Windows Server 2003? Though I suppose that's just like asking why you use still use Windows 2000 Professional over Windows XP Professional. ;)
May 24, 2004, 12:45 AM
Grok
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61448 date=1085359507]
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61446 date=1085359365]
DOS 3.3

No, seriously:
[/quote]

Just curious, why would you continue to use Windows Server 2000 and not upgrade to Windows Server 2003? Though I suppose that's just like asking why you use still use Windows 2000 Professional over Windows XP Professional. ;)
[/quote]

I program for the people who pay me. They use Windows 2000 and even Windows 98 (where there has been no cost justification to upgrade). Ergo, I have to write all my programs to work on Windows 2000. The easiest and most cost-effective route for me is to program and test directly on Windows 2000 (and test on VMWare Windows 98). They also pay the license for my work operating system, and they decide what I will use. My job is to write great code for whatever platform they have chosen.
May 24, 2004, 1:05 AM
Fr0z3N
Mandrake 9.2
May 24, 2004, 1:10 AM
hismajesty
Main Workstation: Windows XP Home/ Windows Longhorn
Family Computer: Windows XP Home
Eleanor: Slackware 9.1
May 24, 2004, 1:40 AM
Mephisto
Windows XP Home Edition on a workstation? ew!
May 24, 2004, 1:50 AM
Stealth
It's not that bad.

I run two computers:

My computer: Windows XP Home / Fedora Core 1 (not yet updated to 2, waiting for apparent dual boot issues with 2 to be resolved)
Family computer: Windows XP Home
May 24, 2004, 2:26 AM
Mephisto
[quote author=Stealth link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61470 date=1085365568]
It's not that bad.

I run two computers:

My computer: Windows XP Home / Fedora Core 1 (not yet updated to 2, waiting for apparent dual boot issues with 2 to be resolved)
[/quote]

I've installed Fedora Core (forget which number, 1 or 2) and it has dual boot issues. It seems that it will work fine if you have it only installed, but once you install a Windows OS afterards (like XP) you can no longer dual-boot with it I guess...At least I can't.
May 24, 2004, 2:30 AM
Forged
I had a family computer with windows me, but after one to many kicks it died,

My computer has windows xp pro and madrake 9.2
I think my brother's and parent's computers have xp pro on them, but I am not sure.
May 24, 2004, 3:40 AM
Thing
DOS 5
RedHat 3.3
RedHat 7.2
RedHat 8
RedHat 9
Suse 9.0
Cobalt 5
Nitix 7.53
Windows 3.11
Windows XP Pro
Windows 2000 Pro
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2003 Server
Novell 3.11
Novell 4.2
FreeBSD 4.6

These are ones that I use on a regular basis, either directly or by remote control. The Nitix is by far the baddest Mofo of them all. I have been running a box for almost a year now with the OS operating from a CD. The config and user files are stored on a hard drive but the OS and related apps are on the CD.
May 24, 2004, 4:30 AM
Skywing
I use Windows Server 2003 due to Terminal Server (with my own "modifications").

Prior to that, I used Windows 2000 Professional with Terminal Server installed (takes a bit of work).
May 24, 2004, 5:20 AM
SNiFFeR
Windows 2000 Pro
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows XP Pro
May 24, 2004, 5:21 AM
LW-Falcon
XP Pro for both my computers. ;D
May 24, 2004, 5:31 AM
iago
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61476 date=1085365809]
[quote author=Stealth link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61470 date=1085365568]
It's not that bad.

I run two computers:

[/quote]

I've installed Fedora Core (forget which number, 1 or 2) and it has dual boot issues. It seems that it will work fine if you have it only installed, but once you install a Windows OS afterards (like XP) you can no longer dual-boot with it I guess...At least I can't.
[/quote]

That's because Windows is rude and overwrites your Master Boot Record without asking. When you install Linux, it says "My I overwrite your MBR and which OS's do you want to be available?" -- when you install Windows, it says "dumdedum, why would you need anything besides me in MBR [splat]".

May 24, 2004, 8:06 AM
Null
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61500 date=1085376033]

Prior to that, I used Windows 2000 Professional with Terminal Server installed (takes a bit of work).
[/quote]

Windows XP comes with "Remote Desktop" , or you can just go download Remote Administrator from download.com
May 24, 2004, 10:02 AM
Mephisto
[quote author=effect link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=15#msg61510 date=1085392938]
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61500 date=1085376033]

[/quote]

Windows XP comes with "Remote Desktop" , or you can just go download Remote Administrator from download.com
[/quote]

They aren't the same thing. Some of the differences include that XP's Remote Desktop control mechanism is limited to the fact that only one remote computer can connect to it, and you can't use the desktop while it's acting like a desktop server (Remote Desktop)...
May 24, 2004, 1:37 PM
Trance
2 Workstations: Windows XP Professional
Workstation & Laptop: Windows 2000 Professional
Workstation & Laptop: Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
May 24, 2004, 3:29 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61463 date=1085363458]
[/quote]

I don't see what the big deal is. I used Windows XP Pro for about 3 months (got it off of MSDN but since it's shared with a few other people the key was all used up.) Anyway, I didn't notice a real big difference and I didn't use any of the stuff that wasn't in Home so it doesn't matter to me.

Also, I forgot one..well it's not currently running but it's still installed. :P

Cerberus - Smoothwall Express 2.0
May 24, 2004, 6:36 PM
Zakath
My desktop runs WinXP Pro...my laptop Win2k Pro.

The old family system still has Windows 98 on it, but it's due for a fresh installation, and I intend to upgrade it.
May 24, 2004, 6:36 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=15#msg61558 date=1085423763]
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=0#msg61463 date=1085363458]
[/quote]

I don't see what the big deal is. I used Windows XP Pro for about 3 months (got it off of MSDN but since it's shared with a few other people the key was all used up.) Anyway, I didn't notice a real big difference and I didn't use any of the stuff that wasn't in Home so it doesn't matter to me.

Also, I forgot one..well it's not currently running but it's still installed. :P

Cerberus - Smoothwall Express 2.0
[/quote]

Probably because you don't use it as an intensive workstation. If you used it in a corporate environment you'd probably not survive on XP Home. I'm not saying I work in a corporate environment, but even at home if you're using your computer as a workstation you demand some things in XP Professional XP Home doesn't have. :)
May 24, 2004, 6:41 PM
hismajesty
The next time I take my computer to some corporate location, I'll remember that.
May 24, 2004, 7:04 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=15#msg61565 date=1085424071]Probably because you don't use it as an intensive workstation. If you used it in a corporate environment you'd probably not survive on XP Home. I'm not saying I work in a corporate environment, but even at home if you're using your computer as a workstation you demand some things in XP Professional XP Home doesn't have. :)
[/quote]

Isn't that the purpose of Home edition? For people that don't need a computer in a corporate environment...

Either way I use:

WinXP Pro on this computer
Win2k Server on my old dual processor box I have setup as a server
Win95 on an ancient 486. I need it to use my old scanner, plus it is fun to mess around with.
May 24, 2004, 7:25 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=15#msg61573 date=1085425493]
The next time I take my computer to some corporate location, I'll remember that.
[/quote]

Might want to take a look at this Trust... http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
May 24, 2004, 11:29 PM
Archonist
Hrmm.. fun topic.

Well, as for linux I started out on Mandrake 10.0 about.. 2 months ago. I currently have knoppix (downloading..80%), and Slackware 9.1. I'm waiting to use slackware because I'm saving up for a new(ok, old crappy) computer to use it on.

Windows, I use XP Pro and 2000 Pro, I might [s]download[/s] buy 2003 server and do what mephisto said.
May 24, 2004, 11:47 PM
Hostile
Gaming Desktop:
Windows XP Professional
Secondary Desktop:
Windows XP Professional
SuSE Linux Desktop 1.0/Java Desktop System
Workstation:
Solaris 9
Server:
Windows 2003 Web Edition
VMWare Virtual Systems:
Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition
Windows 2000 Professional

PS: Thing, You should really update your DOS 5.0 box to DOS 6.0... I mean come on.
May 24, 2004, 11:51 PM
Fr0z3N
If we are including all our PCs

Main: Mandrake 9.2 and Windows XP Home which isn't working on the internet right now
Server: Windows server 2003
Others: Windows XP Home, Windows 2k Pro, Windows 98 SE and another Windows 98 SE.
May 24, 2004, 11:55 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=15#msg61632 date=1085441382]
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=15#msg61573 date=1085425493]
[/quote]

Might want to take a look at this Trust... http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
[/quote]

Interesting. IIRC, I was able to join a Home Edition computer to a domain once. Not a lot of point in it, but I think that article may be wrong on that particular point. All systems since Windows 3.1, including 95, 98, and Me have been able to join an NT domain, and I see no reason why they would take that out of HE (okay, I see reason, but it's not compelling enough for me).

Anyway, I use XP Pro on my home computer, co-booting with Longhorn and SuSE Linux.
Laptop: XP Pro.
May 25, 2004, 12:23 AM
Spht
Home: Windows 2000 Professional
Imaginary Laptop: Windows XP Home Edition
May 25, 2004, 12:30 AM
UserLoser.
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
May 25, 2004, 12:32 AM
Thing
[quote]PS: Thing, You should really update your DOS 5.0 box to DOS 6.0... I mean come on.[/quote]
I don't have those disks anymore. :(
May 25, 2004, 2:13 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=6934;start=15#msg61632 date=1085441382]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[quote]Remote Desktop - All versions of Windows XP--including Home Edition--support Remote Assistance, which is an assisted support technology that allows a help desk or system administrator to remotely connect to a client desktop for troubleshooting purposes. But Only Pro supports the new Remote Desktop feature, which is a single-session version of Terminal Services with two obvious uses: Mobile professionals who need to remotely access their corporate desktop, and remote administration of clients on a network. You can access a Windows XP Remote Desktop from any OS that supports a Terminal Services client (such as Windows 98 and, interestingly XP Home). XP Home can act as the client in a Remote Desktop session; only Pro can be the server.[/quote]

I have a third party program that I use for this, allowing me use my computer while in Science. *cough* :P

[quote]Multi-processor support - Windows XP Pro supports up to two microprocessors, while Home Edition supports only one. [/quote]

Yea, I don't plan on having two processors in there in the near future.

[quote]Automated System Recovery (ASR) - In a somewhat controversial move, Microsoft has removed the Backup utility from the default Windows XP Home Edition, though it is available as an optional installation if you can find it on the CD-ROM (hint: it's in the /valueadd folder). The reason for this the integration of Microsoft's new Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool into Backup. In Pro, ASR will help recover a system from a catastrophic error, such as one that renders the system unbootable. ASR-enabled backups are triggerable from XP Setup, allowing you to return your system to its previous state, even if the hard drive dies and has to be replaced. Unlike consumer-oriented features such as System Restore, ASR is not automatic: It must manually be enabled from within the Backup utility in Windows XP Pro. In any event, while there is a Backup utility available for Home Edition, you cannot use ASR, even though mentions of this feature still exist in the UI. Confusing? Yes. But it's better than no Backup at all, which was the original plan.[/quote]

It only backups during catastrophic failure? What if it's nothing serious but you need to setback your computer anyway, is that still included?

[quote]Dynamic Disk Support - Windows XP Professional (like its Windows 2000 equivalent) supports dynamic disks, but Home Edition does not (instead, HE supports only the standard Simple Disk type). Dynamic disks are not usable with any OS other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro, and they cannot be used on portable computers. Likewise, Home Edition does not include the Logical Disk Manager. [/quote]

I don't use 2000 or Pro so I guess it doesn't bother me. :P

[quote]Fax - Home Edition has no integrated fax functionality out of the box, though it is an option you can install from the XP Home CD.[/quote]

I have a fax machine.

[quote]Internet Information Services/Personal Web Server - Home Edition does not include the IIS Web server 5.1 software found in Pro. [/quote]

If for some reason I wanted to run a Windows server, I wouldn't use XP for it.

Edit: Just noticed there was more categories on that page of stuff Home doesn't have. Oh well, at least I commented on the 'Power User' stuff.
May 25, 2004, 2:36 AM

Search