Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Who wrote the first BGate?

AuthorMessageTime
timbo
Just curious as to who wrote the first binary gateway for chatbots (bgate)

these guys have one that looks very similar to the first one i saw, added a few features and so on.

http://www.novaslp.net/bg3
December 31, 2002, 7:10 PM
RhiNo
Yes i think it was nova that wrote the first bgate but i could be wrong
December 31, 2002, 7:13 PM
zorm
$t0rm wrote the first bgate in java, required sc to be open and such
December 31, 2002, 7:32 PM
timbo
nova is one of the guys that is doing bg3 now, i was just curious because i remember whoever used to post here about a year ago (or so i thought)
December 31, 2002, 7:53 PM
n00blar
CandyColor and Neocronic wrote one a while before nova.  However, they also wrote something called nulledbot that was weird.
December 31, 2002, 8:50 PM
RhiNo
u mean nullbot and it was basically like a stepping stone leading to all the plugins for a client when bots were banned
December 31, 2002, 8:54 PM
warz
You mean it was a pointless waste of time.
December 31, 2002, 9:31 PM
RhiNo
yea basically because not too long after bots were made public again
December 31, 2002, 10:27 PM
dRAgoN
if i remember correctly it was $torm and Keigan that wrote the first one.
January 1, 2003, 4:09 AM
haZe
Neocronic = Mesiah
-.-
January 1, 2003, 12:57 PM
$t0rm:][)
I wrote the first binary gateway, called...well BinaryGateway. I started it before the bot ban was announced as a sort of learning project. It was pretty crappy but it worked. In theory, SC didn't need to stay open, but because I wasn't skilled in OOP at the time, it required the SC connection to stay open. Basically, you'd start up BG, connect SC to localhost and log in, then connect your chatbot to localhost.

BinaryGateway 2 was created by me, kaegan, Hype, and Raihan. We took the BG code, ported in from Java to VB, and revamped the system. Between the first binarygateway and the second, kaegan developed kbin. We had kbin do the logging on for us instead of SC. This was an unstable POS and didn't work with a lot of bots, but it was the first incarnation of the modern BG.

BinaryGateway 2.5 was developed by Nova. He took our source code and refined it. This is the codebase to BG3.

BG3 is developed by Nova, Tyriel, and formerly Puck. It is a souped-up version of our original BG2. He added more games to kbin, added stability, and leak control.

There was something called bgate developed by zorm and dragon (I think), but I never really used it too much.

I don't claim to have invented proxy botting. I hear Skywing came out with something called BinaryBotPlugin which was kind of similar. I took the idea of proxy botting  from a post from Kamakazie, but I (think) I invented the idea of translating the protocols.

That's the real story.
January 1, 2003, 2:16 PM
RhiNo
but i know someone who is making a new bgate with a whole shitload of features according to what he was telling me  :P
January 1, 2003, 4:10 PM
warz
Can't be, you're obviously out of your mind. OBVIOUSLY.
January 1, 2003, 5:02 PM
MrRaza
I also think c0ke made one, but thats all here-say
January 1, 2003, 6:57 PM
Nova1313
coke did make one at one time.

And bg3 doens't use kbin. I've completely rewritten the login system for it. 2.0 was the last that used kbin. 2.5 i made used a module version of kbin that I made from keagans source. My same module was in raibot for a while i think. Or some bot that incdamage people made. maybe it was iB?

I've not heard of another one coming out with more features. But If anyone would do it im going to put my money on puck since tyriel and I sorta gave him the boot because he kept having power struggles on our forum and did nothing but fight with the rest of us sometimes. Other times he was good. He's an excellent programmer (I'd have to consider him better then me really because of his style)

I'll be the first to admit that my coding sucks alot and I'm rewriting parts of it all the time. It sucks 1 cause it's in vb. 2 because I still am and prolly will always be a noob coder if you want to call it that. My college professor even complains about my style that I should be more organized and have more comments in the code. So I've been reworking bg3 with that.
January 3, 2003, 12:25 AM
warz
Good story, lad.
January 3, 2003, 12:28 AM
dRAgoN
lol warz you talk to much 8\
January 3, 2003, 7:01 AM
n00blar
Neocronic isn't mesiah, I know neocronic personally he lives 2 miles away from me. I also know CandyColor personally as I am him =P (big suprize huh?) anyways-- I know that he made the first one because i 'partially assisted' him in making it.  Trust me on this one =p

definition of partially assisted -- I never saw the source code, he asked questions, I answered.

/me waits for people to start posting =p
January 3, 2003, 3:13 PM
MesiaH
how come i never saw it? i remember something this israeli guy made on planet source code, called a proxy bridge, and using it for battle.net, and calling it a bot, yeah that isnt turning the chat protocol into binary though, just forwarding data.
January 3, 2003, 3:22 PM
timbo
wow, thanks for the info guys :)
January 4, 2003, 9:08 PM
str0mboli
Nova you aren't allowed to say vb sucks on this forum.
January 4, 2003, 11:55 PM
Nova1313sleepy..
okay i wont say it.

i just prefer other languages over vb because i see it's limitations with the software I'm writing.

My largest problem is that it's windows only, hogs memory, and it's easier todo certain things in other languages. Plus I don't really like using an IDE. I'd much rather use vi or emacs but thats sorta hard with vb because of how it lays out it's save files...

but it's great for small projects like beginner bots and small games and little database aps for buisnesses.

January 5, 2003, 5:44 AM
st0rm again
You should check out SciTE, I kind of like it. I like emacs better, but I couldn't get python mode to work so I stopped using it.
January 5, 2003, 2:06 PM
Arta
What on earth are you on about? You are most certainly allowed to say VB sucks on this forum, because it does, most egregiously.

Unless you're Spht or Grok, that is :P
January 5, 2003, 4:33 PM
Zakath
Etheran, Noodlez, and warz might take offence at that too. :P

I don't *like* VB. That doesn't mean, however, that I don't respect those who achieve proficiency with it. It is an easy-to-use language that can grind out visual stuff very quickly. I just don't like the performance loss compared to C, though, so I don't use it.

I also don't respect those who use it purely as a tool to make bots without understanding anything about what they're doing.
January 9, 2003, 1:09 AM
MesiaH
what if we know what were doing, but still use bnls, or hash.dll? :-P
January 9, 2003, 1:16 AM
Zakath
I'm talking about understanding programming concepts, not the battle.net hashing procedures.

Creating a binary bot is not definitive proof that you're a competent programmer, that's all.
January 9, 2003, 1:23 AM

Search