Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | [vL] weirdness?

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
I was just chillin' at home, and saw this in Op [vL]:

[0:27:27] :KeV: was banned by [vL] (random).
[0:27:31] Insecure was banned by [vL] (random).
[0:27:36] :KeV: was banned by [vL] (random).
[0:27:40] Insecure was banned by [vL] (random).
[0:27:45] :KeV: was banned by [vL] (random).

I thought it was somewhat odd, since they were already banned, why ban further?
May 22, 2004, 7:32 AM
iago
People wonder why I +F almost everybody.

I was considering setting * to +F just to get rid of spammy/pointless bans.
May 22, 2004, 7:58 AM
Arta
I agree. Randomban is not useful.
May 22, 2004, 8:44 AM
iago
Nor is idleban - it encourages people to make noise. But I think we've had this conversation before :)
May 22, 2004, 8:45 AM
LW-Falcon
Yeah, I was idlekicked and idlebanned, no <3 for me?
May 22, 2004, 1:42 PM
Spht
ZeroBot is designed more to protect members and hold accountable non-members...

All the auto-moderation features (random ban, repeated message ban, idle ban, etc) are just there so we have less work to do. I think they're great and should never be removed.
May 22, 2004, 2:25 PM
iago
repeated message ban is fine. But why idle ban? Is it really a good idea to ban people for NOT making noise? Wouldn't we want to encourage guests to be quiet rather than making sure they talk at least once for every 8 or so of our messages?
May 22, 2004, 5:12 PM
Grok
Read visitor guide.
May 22, 2004, 5:15 PM
UserLoser.
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=0#msg61219 date=1085246129]
Read visitor guide.
[/quote]

But that says "Clan [vL]" not "Op [vL]"! :P
May 22, 2004, 5:31 PM
iago
"thuscelackpiss"

[s]<edit> in that case, I guess it would be "thuscelackpass"[/s]

<edit2> oops, I meant it would be thuscelackpast
May 22, 2004, 6:23 PM
Spht
[quote author=iago[yL] link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=0#msg61216 date=1085245942]
repeated message ban is fine. But why idle ban? Is it really a good idea to ban people for NOT making noise? Wouldn't we want to encourage guests to be quiet rather than making sure they talk at least once for every 8 or so of our messages?
[/quote]

What purpose does a guest serve in the channel if they're not saying anything? Ideally a visitor should come to the channel, discuss their purpose for being in the channel, then leave. Idle ban is a reminder and punishment that they're idling in the channel.
May 22, 2004, 8:58 PM
iago
So as soon as people come in the channel they should start talking? Because idleban is fairly quick if people are talking, and maybe a guest wants to know what's going on before interrupting.

I personally find it's rude if I join somebody else's channel where people are talking and interrupt them to ask a question - I'll generally wait for a gap in the conversation or for a polite pause to talk. If I was a guest in out's channel, I would do the same thing and I would get idlebanned almost certainly - but it's hard to put yourself in other people's shoes when you think you're better than them (which is sometimes the case, but not necessarely always).

May 22, 2004, 9:14 PM
Spht
[quote author=iago[yL] link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=0#msg61241 date=1085260469]
So as soon as people come in the channel they should start talking? Because idleban is fairly quick if people are talking, and maybe a guest wants to know what's going on before interrupting.

I personally find it's rude if I join somebody else's channel where people are talking and interrupt them to ask a question - I'll generally wait for a gap in the conversation or for a polite pause to talk. If I was a guest in out's channel, I would do the same thing and I would get idlebanned almost certainly - but it's hard to put yourself in other people's shoes when you think you're better than them (which is sometimes the case, but not necessarely always).

[/quote]

That's just bad luck for the visitor. They can come back in a few days or week when the ban expires to try again. If they're really sharp they'll e-mail the person they're trying to contact.
May 22, 2004, 9:24 PM
iago
What if they're just trying to be friendly? Or is vL just completely closed to meeting new people now?
May 22, 2004, 9:55 PM
LW-Falcon
I left my bot in there for like 5 minutes while I went to go play a game and when I came back I got idlebanned. Its not like the channel would be full with afk people and other people can't join.
May 22, 2004, 10:16 PM
Spht
[quote author=LW-Falcon link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=0#msg61254 date=1085264181]
I left my bot in there for like 5 minutes while I went to go play a game and when I came back I got idlebanned. Its not like the channel would be full with afk people and other people can't join.
[/quote]

If we never had any of these auto bans, the channel would be full with random people all the time and members would have trouble getting in, since the channel can only hold 40.
May 22, 2004, 10:20 PM
LW-Falcon
I think the idleban needs to be longer, 5 minutes passes by very quickly, I could go get a drink and get banned when I come back.
May 22, 2004, 10:23 PM
iago
[quote author=Spht link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61257 date=1085264438]
[quote author=LW-Falcon link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=0#msg61254 date=1085264181]
[/quote]

If we never had any of these auto bans, the channel would be full with random people all the time and members would have trouble getting in, since the channel can only hold 40.
[/quote]

I don't think it would fill up - if it did, a member could always whisper a ban to the bot. Or idleban length could be based on the number of people in the channel - if there are only 20 people, then make it looong, but if there are 35 make it fairly short.
May 22, 2004, 10:32 PM
LW-Falcon
I agree with iago. :)
May 22, 2004, 10:40 PM
Spht
[quote author=iago[yL] link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61260 date=1085265159]
I don't think it would fill up - if it did, a member could always whisper a ban to the bot.
[/quote]

It would and it always does on the rare occasion that the bot is missing for long lengths of time. I know you can whisper the bot to ban someone, but who wants to deal with that hassle every time they log on?

[quote author=iago[yL] link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61260 date=1085265159]
Or idleban length could be based on the number of people in the channel - if there are only 20 people, then make it looong, but if there are 35 make it fairly short.
[/quote]

Idle ban, random ban, and other auto-moderation features are fairly customizable by anyone who has operator access to the bot, by the way.
May 22, 2004, 10:41 PM
LoRd
Idle ban serves a purpose, but random ban is useless and evil!
May 22, 2004, 10:55 PM
Spht
Random ban is my favorite. It's the fail-safe which gets the people that managed to avoid all the other automated bans!
May 22, 2004, 11:02 PM
iago
I don't really like randomban - if everyboyd's idle and guests are talking, they get banned - that seems to be the time they ought to talk.

If people don't like seeing random conversations, why don't you just close your bot and chat on IMs with people you want to? I always wondered that about kp, and it seems like he does that now.
May 22, 2004, 11:09 PM
Spht
[quote author=iago[yL] link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61271 date=1085267380]
I don't really like randomban - if everyboyd's idle and guests are talking, they get banned - that seems to be the time they ought to talk.
[/quote]

They shouldn't be holding conversations in our channel.

[quote author=iago[yL] link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61271 date=1085267380]
If people don't like seeing random conversations, why don't you just close your bot and chat on IMs with people you want to?
[/quote]

Are you suggesting we let non-members take over our channel? We prefer chatting on BotNet and Battle.net with multiple people, so auto-moderation features were implemented to prevent random people from clogging up our chat logs.

I always wondered that about kp, and it seems like he does that now.
[/quote]

Yes, but not because of your complaining. Kp's not on Battle.net because he's redesigning his client and hasn't completed BNCS support yet. He'll be back soon. =)
May 22, 2004, 11:19 PM
iago
[quote][18:55:12] <Spht[vL]@Azeroth> I like how iago is arguing on behalf of visitors. It's cute. =)[/quote]

ugh, just forget it - arguing is pointless, since far too many people forget what it was like to be non-vL once they're here.

There's always been long gaps in my Battle.net presence - I think I'll start one now, at least for our channel. Nothing useful has happened there in a long time.

[note: say whatever you want here now, I'm not going to respond to this thread anymore]
May 22, 2004, 11:23 PM
Hitmen
[quote author=iago[yL] link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61275 date=1085268219]
[note: say whatever you want here now, I'm not going to respond to this thread anymore]
[/quote]
I've always wondered why people feel the need to say that. It just looks so lame :P
May 22, 2004, 11:39 PM
Hostile
iago just because you take favor to all the other weird 14 yr olds who [s]stalk[/s] worship [vL] members that doesn't mean that the rest of us enjoy that. Non-members have more then enough oppertunity to be welcomed as friends into our channel... and just for the record, you got yelled at for +F'ing so many people because most of them turned out to be retards. I welcome anyone into the channel whos not a retard, even some who are due to respect for other members. :P
May 23, 2004, 12:12 AM
Mephisto
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61288 date=1085271172]
iago just because you take favor to all the other weird 14 yr olds who [s]stalk[/s] worship [vL] members that doesn't mean that the rest of us enjoy that. Non-members have more then enough oppertunity to be welcomed as friends into our channel... and just for the record, you got yelled at for +F'ing so many people because most of them turned out to be retards. I welcome anyone into the channel whos not a retard, even some who are due to respect for other members. :P
[/quote]

*cough*
May 23, 2004, 1:19 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Spht link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61268 date=1085266949]
Random ban is my favorite. It's the fail-safe which gets the people that managed to avoid all the other automated bans!
[/quote]

Random ban is my favorite as well. Well, it is when it's not used against me. :P
May 23, 2004, 1:52 AM
MysT_DooM
DOesnt it say in the vistors guide or somewhere in the rules section that vL members could do watever the hell they want.....And could ban for no reason...
it also said i think that the channel is for vL members and is not made for other people....

So why u guys complaining.i mean im autobanned from vl channel and i dont mind. :)
May 23, 2004, 4:24 PM
Soul Taker
[quote author=MysT_DooM link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61351 date=1085329456]
DOesnt it say in the vistors guide or somewhere in the rules section that vL members could do watever the hell they want.....And could ban for no reason...
it also said i think that the channel is for vL members and is not made for other people....

So why u guys complaining.i mean im autobanned from vl channel and i dont mind. :)
[/quote]
The bot is not a member of vL... At least I don't think it is.
May 24, 2004, 1:51 AM
warz
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=15#msg61288 date=1085271172]
[/quote]

weird 14 years olds? you're apparantly older im guessing. id say you're weird; sitting there calling little kids playing their computer games, and chatting online weird. they're where people their age should be. they probably dont stalk [vl] members either, they probably want to come find out how your reputation stands. id have to say, upon actually visiting there, i'd never get hyped about another battlenet reputation ever again, no offense.
May 24, 2004, 3:03 AM
MysT_DooM
The point of vL's channel is not to idle urself or ur bot..only vL members can idle...if they want...the channel as stated in the guide is only for vL members and not no1 else... it wasnt made to idle ur bot....
so the idle ban is good
May 24, 2004, 1:49 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=MysT_DooM link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=30#msg61523 date=1085406581]
The point of vL's channel is not to idle urself or ur bot..only vL members can idle...if they want...the channel as stated in the guide is only for vL members and not no1 else... it wasnt made to idle ur bot....
so the idle ban is good
[/quote]

Could he suck anymore ass?
May 24, 2004, 2:27 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=warz link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=30#msg61481 date=1085367815]
[/quote]

weird 14 years olds? you're apparantly older im guessing. id say you're weird; sitting there calling little kids playing their computer games, and chatting online weird. they're where people their age should be. they probably dont stalk [vl] members either, they probably want to come find out how your reputation stands. id have to say, upon actually visiting there, i'd never get hyped about another battlenet reputation ever again, no offense.
[/quote]
That's probably part of his point, warz. The fact that people are even so concerned over "Battle.net Reputation" is weird. I doubt people in vL programmed bots or made hacks or automated mineral gathering to get a "rep" on Battle.net -- but rather that it was useful. So much concern over your "reputation" or "where [their] reputation stands" is indicative of an immature person. vL is cool, but honestly -- I can't say that I get the jitters when I talk about their stuff.

[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=30#msg61527 date=1085408825]
[quote author=MysT_DooM link=board=2;threadid=6906;start=30#msg61523 date=1085406581]
so the idle ban is good
[/quote]

Could he suck anymore ass?
[/quote]

Yes. Don't encourage it.
May 24, 2004, 5:01 PM

Search