Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development References | Statstring Chatting

AuthorMessageTime
MesiaH
We all know how Diablo 1 lets you set your own statstring (sshr too i think), Well i was thinking, maybe if somebody was really bored, they could figure out a way to use the diablo statstring to chat with people in the void? ???

Seems pretty dumb, but hey, why the hell not? :P
January 5, 2003, 6:58 PM
Skywing
[quote]We all know how Diablo 1 lets you set your own statstring (sshr too i think), Well i was thinking, maybe if somebody was really bored, they could figure out a way to use the diablo statstring to chat with people in the void? ???

Seems pretty dumb, but hey, why the hell not? :P[/quote]
You're a few years late, sorry!

This idea was new back in 1999 :p

You can also use it to chat in Blizzard Tech Support and other moderated channels.
January 5, 2003, 7:12 PM
MesiaH
damn, got the source? or the bot anywhere?
January 5, 2003, 7:36 PM
Spht
We'd just send new statstring that contained the message. When the client receives list event from user that is already in the channel, then display it as "Stat chat."
January 5, 2003, 8:02 PM
MesiaH
how did you locate it? like what type of key did you put, and where did you put it, to make the client say "hey this guy has a message in his statstring!"?
January 5, 2003, 8:22 PM
Yoni
Stat update (0x0f event 0x09)
January 5, 2003, 10:24 PM
MesiaH
thats the flags event tho, that can happen anywhere at anytime, maybe not so much in the void, but its possible in blizzard tech support im sure...
January 5, 2003, 11:50 PM
Yoni
So what?

Store each user's statstring, if the stats update event occurs and the statstring changes, treat it as statchat. Otherwise, don't.
January 6, 2003, 3:23 PM
MesiaH
Interesting, why was it stopped? did it get too pointless?
January 6, 2003, 3:51 PM
iago
Hrmm.. I guess the same could be done with Profile string, but you would have to set a timer.  

You could just set sex to "\nMessage" and be constantly checking for changes in other Sex fields.

(PS. Sex Fields would be a great name for a band!)
January 6, 2003, 3:54 PM
MesiaH
lol dork :p

can you still create your own profile string in 0x27?

like \profchat
?
January 6, 2003, 4:17 PM
Spht
[quote]lol dork :p

can you still create your own profile string in 0x27?

like \profchat
?[/quote]

No. If you attempt to set a non-default key, your whole profile will be reset.
January 6, 2003, 4:21 PM
MesiaH
thought so, damn

i guess the sex field would deam appropriate, but some people use it for encryption keys...
January 6, 2003, 4:29 PM
MiCrOz
I'm not sure if its possible what im saying, being new to all this stuff but, if you could do this "stat string chatting", couldnt u use a muted key and still chat?
January 6, 2003, 5:46 PM
MiCrOz
hmmm.....we could be onto something :o ;)

Edit add:

We could make a bot that changed statstring with a certain character in the beginning of the messages, like other bots do for hex messages. This way, the bot would read all statstring updates, and if the statstring has the character in the front, it would display it as a message. Just an idea tho...
January 6, 2003, 5:51 PM
Skywing
[quote]Stat update (0x0f event 0x09)[/quote]
It's 0x01, 0x09 is for flags!
January 6, 2003, 6:26 PM
Yoni
Bleh. Always use symbols for constants.
January 6, 2003, 6:29 PM
Skywing
[quote]hmmm.....we could be onto something :o ;)

Edit add:

We could make a bot that changed statstring with a certain character in the beginning of the messages, like other bots do for hex messages. This way, the bot would read all statstring updates, and if the statstring has the character in the front, it would display it as a message. Just an idea tho...[/quote]
I think that you're forgetting that the only products which have statstrings set by the client are the ones which cannot join private channels.
January 6, 2003, 6:29 PM
Spht
[quote]hmmm.....we could be onto something :o ;)

Edit add:

We could make a bot that changed statstring with a certain character in the beginning of the messages, like other bots do for hex messages. This way, the bot would read all statstring updates, and if the statstring has the character in the front, it would display it as a message. Just an idea tho...[/quote]

Why do that when you can just check to see if the user is already in the channel when you received the 0x01 message from the combined packet. If he is, then display their statstring as "Stat chat."
January 6, 2003, 6:30 PM
Skywing
[quote]Bleh. Always use symbols for constants.[/quote]
You started it.  I might have used SID_CHATEVENT, EID_SHOWUSER!
January 6, 2003, 6:30 PM
Yoni
I was too lazy to look up the right symbols though. ::)
January 6, 2003, 6:33 PM
iago
[quote]
I think that you're forgetting that the only products which have statstrings set by the client are the ones which cannot join private channels.[/quote]

Which brings us back to the idea of using a profile field...
Since Sex is used for encryption keys, why not use Age for sending messages?  

This would, at the very least, allow you to use muted keys to chat :-)

I know it would be a lot of extra overhead to check the profile strings every few seconds, but I don't care :-P
January 6, 2003, 10:45 PM
MesiaH
that would be a good idea indeed, but what about the actual game clients? they can still set and view the age..

and if i remember correctly, you can lookup profiles some 8 or 9 in a row times before flooding, sending requests every second, or second and a half, wouldnt be that bad of an idea...

but then again, youd have to lookup everybodys profile in the channel, and that would suck...
January 6, 2003, 10:55 PM
MiCrOz
Yea but you dont get a event thingie when someone updates their profile, you'd have to set timers checking, which would make chatting kinda hard...
January 6, 2003, 10:57 PM
Arta
Alternatively, save yourself a lot of trouble and just use an unmuted key?
January 7, 2003, 12:41 AM
Skywing
Age is blanked out by the server now, BTW.  Good thing we stuck with profile\sex? ;)
January 7, 2003, 7:31 PM
iago
Bah, you're right, wasn't thinking when I said Age :-)

I guess we'd have to chat using Location.  No problem, just start it with '\n'.   To the untrained eye, it would seem blank!
January 7, 2003, 8:07 PM
Skywing
[quote]Bah, you're right, wasn't thinking when I said Age :-)

I guess we'd have to chat using Location.  No problem, just start it with '\n'.   To the untrained eye, it would seem blank![/quote]No, with Battle.snp games the text spills over into the space below the edit box if it continues beyond one line.
January 7, 2003, 8:20 PM
jnem
Yes! Finally, another pointless feature to add to an already pointless-feature-bloated bot! Keep up the good work. Soon we can tally the amount of time we all wasted doing these things, and then compare! The most time wasted wins..
January 7, 2003, 8:20 PM
UserLoser
1. Who are you?
2. Most things here are not a waste of time, if you think of it that way, then leave.
3. Why dont you register if you're continuing to post here?
---
No, this is not a flame mods..
January 7, 2003, 8:36 PM
MesiaH
[quote]
No, with Battle.snp games the text spills over into the space below the edit box if it continues beyond one line.[/quote]

This is true, but you can add crlf's in any profile string, so if you add 2 crlf's, after a normal message in the location string, then start with \n or whatever, blizzard game clients will not be able to view it.
January 7, 2003, 10:03 PM
Etheran
Ethbot had statstring chat for a brief period of time - then I realized it was pointless.  I can't remember who it was that actually got me to add it, but we used the double cross prefix to denote it was statstring chat(±).
January 9, 2003, 5:59 AM
Yoni
Double cross?! nothx, it's the plus/minus!
January 11, 2003, 4:37 PM
Etheran
That was the wrong symbol.  I don't think we used the double daggar(‡) anyways.  I believe we went with the single daggar(†).

sigh....
January 11, 2003, 7:34 PM

Search