Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | your thoughts on intel's plans

AuthorMessageTime
peofeoknight
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020354,39153970,00.htm
Well if you have been following the news lately, you would have read about intel cancelling tejas and jayhawk. They are apparently planning their own 64bit dual cored processor to compete with amd who is working on a dual cored opteron. Today my friend sent me an article about intel releasing a 64bit prescott in august, and working on a 64bit xeon and itanium. I am just wondering what you guys have heard and what you think about it. AMD would really sell big with their dual cored opteron, except for the fact that it is going to be insanely expencive.
May 16, 2004, 2:59 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=6822;start=0#msg60344 date=1084676372]
Today my friend sent me an article about intel releasing a 64bit prescott in august, and working on a 64bit xeon and itanium.
[/quote]
Itaniums are already 64 bit processors.
May 16, 2004, 4:06 AM
Raven
Yes, the Itanium and the Opteron are already available in 64bit architectures. The pricing for the new processors will probably be negligible as they are intended for servers anyway. I heard Intel was waiting to test the waters a bit for a 64bit home-PC processor vs. AMD that already has a bunch on the market. But I suspect they'll be announcing a homeuser-oriented 64bit processor pretty soon before AMD runs away with the market.
May 16, 2004, 5:24 AM
peofeoknight
well they really want to get something dual cored out. This 64bit prescott would be intended for home use I would imagine, since their procs intended for servers are itanium and xeon. But they and amd have the same logic that dual cored is better because you can have 2 cores with a lower clock in there that can get the same or more processing done, while at the same time running cooler and being more efficient because of this. But right now 64bit is stupid unless you are running a server, though it can be a big advantage if you are running a server.
[quote]
Yes, the Itanium and the Opteron are already available in 64bit architectures[/quote] I knew opteron was 64bit... infact all opterons are 64bit... then you have the amd athalon 64 which is the 64bit that is currently geared for home use. I forgot itanium was 64bit...
http://www.intel.com/products/server/processors/server/itanium2/
it does not say anything about it there (that I saw). But I now remember that was one of the questions from this practice a+ quiz I took, what is intel's 64bit processor, answer is itanium. Personally if I ran a server I would use dual xeon (xeon has a higher fsb, higher clock speeds, and has ht).

I looked at some old articles, and dual core is in no way a new idea, intel was thinking of dual cored xeon and itanium since 03.
May 19, 2004, 6:50 PM

Search