Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Editing a bot source code.

AuthorMessageTime
idoL
Yeah, i'm a complete newb when it comes to making bots - i'd like to know how I open a bot source code and fool around with it and save the changes so I could see what I did, i'd like to do this so I can learn, not steal people's work.
Also, i'd like to know how to go about taking a basic bot script and adding to it to personalize it and save the changes and actually use it? Thanks in advanced!
May 11, 2004, 12:13 AM
Eli_1
[quote author=idoL link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59436 date=1084234398]
Yeah, i'm a complete newb when it comes to making bots - i'd like to know how I open a bot source code and fool around with it. . .[/quote]
mmm, I usually use the double-clicking/typing method.

[quote]. . .and save the changes so I could see what I did. . .[/quote]
I like to use the File->Save method, but when I'm feeling a little sexy, I utilize the CTRL+S feature.

[quote]. . .i'd like to do this so I can learn, not steal people's work.[/quote]
I suggest you take a different path to learning, such as reading books, learning the language, trial and error ect...

[quote]
Also, i'd like to know how to go about taking a basic bot script and adding to it to personalize it and save the changes and actually use it? Thanks in advanced!
[/quote]
See answers 1-2.

From reading all of your post, I'm between these two conclusions:

1.) You don't actually have bot source code/compiler and what you actually want to do is hex edit a previously created bot.
a.) www.hexworkshop.com

2.) You have absolutely zero programming experience and should probably attempt learning the language before taking on a bot project -- whether it be open source or not.
a.) www.planetsourcecode.com
b.) www.google.com
c.) Your local book store

And man, don't take this reply the wrong way. I'm not trying to put you down or make you feel stupid, but come on man, you need to crawl before you can walk. Don't take on a project you aren't ready to handle. Go get a VB or C++ book. The first VB book I learned from (which I think is excellent, btw) was:

Visual Basic 6, How To Program
Deitel & Deitel
T.R. Nieto
www.deitel.com
www.microsoft.com/vbasic
www.developer.com
May 11, 2004, 12:26 AM
Dayclone
Idol, I used to be like you pal. I'd come here and ask really dumb questions. Let me suggest to you that you go back and read some books and learn VB or w/e you want to learn. When you have fullfilled those wishes then that's when you can come back here. Keep in mind knowledge is power :)

Peace,
Steve
May 11, 2004, 12:28 AM
idoL
Thanks guys that did help.
[quote] You don't actually have bot source code/compiler and what you actually want to do is hex edit a previously created bot.
[/quote]
Yeah kinda, but also edit it in VB or C++.
[quote] 2.) You have absolutely zero programming experience and should probably attempt learning the language before taking on a bot project -- whether it be open source or not[/quote] Your correct again, I am trying to learn, for now I have no programming experiance but some knowledge.
May 11, 2004, 1:52 AM
idoL
[quote author=effect link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59452 date=1084241168]
So what exactly would you like help with , do you want someone to reference you to some education material (IE Source?).

www.zeroforce.tk < -- has stuff there

[/quote]

What I'd really like is some one to point me in a good direction on how to edit a bot source code to customize it / learn, and in general learn how to make a bot easily, I know where to learn programming and stuff, but bot making is kinda personalized.
May 11, 2004, 3:14 AM
iago
He wants sourcecode and a compiler. Now let's all say the vL slogan, "You'll get over it."
May 11, 2004, 3:16 AM
Forged
ehh not sure if I can post this here, but
For Visual Basic

Compiler:
http://www.pianka.net/PN4/

Book:
http://frozen.dynip.com/eBooks/

Source Codes:
http://www.pianka.net/PN4/
May 11, 2004, 4:21 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=idoL link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59468 date=1084245296]
What I'd really like is some one to point me in a good direction on how to edit a bot source code to customize it / learn, and in general learn how to make a bot easily, I know where to learn programming and stuff, but bot making is kinda personalized.
[/quote]

A bot is really a complicated thing to create. I like the statement Eli referred to, "You need to crawl before you can walk." Making a bot isn't like learning HTML -- you can't open up the HTML, add the <b> </b> tags, refresh the browser, and see that you have made something bold. You need to learn what a compiler is, basic programming in general, among other things.

You can't just open a VB bot's source code and change something around if you have absoltely no idea how anything you're looking at works. And you'll find a lot more help here if you are attempting to learn a programming language than leeching off of the work of others in modifying something someone already programmed themselves.
May 11, 2004, 6:51 AM
Soul Taker
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59471 date=1084245391]
He wants sourcecode and a compiler. Now let's all say the vL slogan, "You'll get over it."
[/quote]
This could be a fun topic.

Edit: I knew I got it wrong =[
May 11, 2004, 9:29 AM
AC_Drkan
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59505 date=1084267775]
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59471 date=1084245391]
[/quote]
This could be a fun topic.

Edit: I knew I got it wrong =[
[/quote]
I can get him dome of the minor greetbot source codes.
Their readily accessible on the blizzard website i think.
Its where i downloaded them
May 11, 2004, 9:34 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Eli_1 link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59439 date=1084235163]you need to crawl before you can walk. [/quote]

No you don't, I saw this girl on TV who never learned to crawl she just hops around on her butt. :P
May 11, 2004, 11:09 AM
idoL
Yes. As a start to programming I am learning VB, any advice on what is a good way to start this "complicated" path to build a bot after I learn enough about coding/programming to do so?
(I think I'll be good enough to build a bot after summer, I'm really trying to learn this stuff!)

Also..
I like how everyone here seems to be in good manner and not automatically flame some one like me, thanks. :)
May 11, 2004, 1:05 PM
AC_Drkan
[quote author=idoL link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59522 date=1084280729]
Yes. As a start to programming I am learning VB, any advice on what is a good way to start this "complicated" path to build a bot after I learn enough about coding/programming to do so?
(I think I'll be good enough to build a bot after summer, I'm really trying to learn this stuff!)

Also..
I like how everyone here seems to be in good manner and not automatically flame some one like me, thanks. :)
[/quote]

Well here is how i learned:
:: Try and get some sourcecodes for different bots
:: Look at them and see if you can make some sense of them
:: If you cannot try buying a book on thme or rereading the book you have on the programming subject
:: Then its just experiment experiment experiment.

NOTE: Try and be as creative as possible and DON'T PLAGERIZE

I recommend starting out by editing in C
And start from the ground up with editing the simple greetbots that Blizzard will provide for you on their site
May 11, 2004, 3:06 PM
ChR0NiC
Looking at sources lead to copying and code leeching. Try to keep it to a minimal and only refer is necessary. You will thank yourself you didn't look at sources once you become somewhat a veteran at Bot Development.
May 11, 2004, 5:05 PM
Eli_1
[quote author=ChR0NiC link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59565 date=1084295136]
Looking at sources lead to copying and code leeching. Try to keep it to a minimal and only refer is necessary. You will thank yourself you didn't look at sources once you become somwhat a veteran at Bot Development.
[/quote]
I think this is the first thing I agree with you on.
Amen.
May 11, 2004, 6:25 PM
ChR0NiC
Not naming names, I know many people who now whenever they find a packet they want to parse they go source surfing or beg for help. Asking for help is allowed, but at least ask for help, not the answers. Because they never actually bothered to learn the language well enough and how packet structures work, they are completely clueless, or even if they are capable, they are so used to getting the answers from other sources and people that they don't even bother doing it themselves.

Edit:
This is my two cents by ChR0NiC.
May 11, 2004, 6:30 PM
Networks
I myself learned to code and Source Codes helped mucho but my code was majorly sloppy and I would recommend reading a book about vb6 controls and then buy a seperate book that concentrates on code. The book I had bought was more controlled based which became useless over a short period of time.

As for coding a bot, thats something you should never leech mainly because coding it actually becomes harder. You don't know what is declared and where it is. Where functions are or what they do. Over all the project becomes sloppy and when you release if you do no one will really like it as well.

Pick up a book, Download the actual program and start off slow. Learn you language. Also something I realized post here if your having trouble with something. I wish I knew about these forums sooner. =\
May 11, 2004, 6:37 PM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=Networks link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=15#msg59594 date=1084300641]
As for coding a bot, thats something you should never leech mainly because coding it actually becomes harder. You don't know what is declared and where it is. Where functions are or what they do. Over all the project becomes sloppy and when you release if you do no one will really like it as well.
[/quote]

This leads to taking a source, changing the names and (if they know how) the GUI. Which we saw an example of here where someone claimed they wrote some code which clearly belongs to Feanor's TCP Connection. I just can't express enough of how bad of practice source studying is.
May 11, 2004, 6:44 PM
Networks
Very true. I've gone through the phases but I never released anything that wasn't 90% coded by myself.
May 11, 2004, 7:30 PM
idoL
Yeah that's pretty wise advice there guy's, yet again I thank you. ;D
May 11, 2004, 8:20 PM
hismajesty
I'm not against somebody taking source code, as long as they credit the author and such. Human knowledge belongs to the public which is why so many projects are open source. However, when somebody takes the source and claims it as their own, that's what bothers me.
May 11, 2004, 8:27 PM
SiMi
[quote author=ChR0NiC link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59565 date=1084295136]
Looking at sources lead to copying and code leeching. Try to keep it to a minimal and only refer is necessary. You will thank yourself you didn't look at sources once you become somewhat a veteran at Bot Development.
[/quote]
Suprised to see who is talking. Are you trying to say your a veteran and you didn't look at sources? Personally, I think code leeching is the first step many programmers do to get there name up. Many of us have had our own cases of leeching and many do decline that even much later. Code leeching is some what people still depend on today to get there work done.

Edit:
My two cents by SiMi.
May 11, 2004, 11:18 PM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=Simi link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=15#msg59658 date=1084317518]
Suprised to see who is talking. Are you trying to say your a veteran and you didn't look at sources? Personally, I think code leeching is the first step many programmers do to get there name up. Many of us have had our own cases of leeching and many do decline that even much later. Code leeching is some what people still depend on today to get there work done.

Edit:
My two cents by SiMi.
[/quote]

It's very bad practice though.....may be faster but it's not a good habit to get into.

My two cents by ChR0NiC >:(
May 12, 2004, 12:15 AM
idoL
Code leeching along with the aforehand mentioned techniques will do fine for me.
May 12, 2004, 12:12 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=idoL link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=15#msg59757 date=1084363936]
Code leeching along with the aforehand mentioned techniques will do fine for me.
[/quote]

With that attitude you probably won't get much help here.
May 12, 2004, 1:34 PM
Networks
[quote author=ChR0NiC link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=15#msg59664 date=1084320926]
[quote author=Simi link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=15#msg59658 date=1084317518]

Edit:
My two cents by SiMi.
[/quote]

It's very bad practice though.....may be faster but it's not a good habit to get into.

My two cents by ChR0NiC >:(
[/quote]

My friend stole the whole logon that connected to BNLS and loaded all the clients and all he did was add features to the bot. Did he really code his own bot and is allowed to claim it as his own? Is this source stealing? If this is isn't that what people do with CSB? What's you take?
May 12, 2004, 2:03 PM
idoL
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=15#msg59764 date=1084368874]
[quote author=idoL link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=15#msg59757 date=1084363936]
[/quote]

With that attitude you probably won't get much help here.
[/quote]

Perhaps you don't understand what I was meaning; I meant I'd look/use the source code of bots along with the learning VB advice and reading books etc to learn how to make a bot.
I did'nt mean leech as in steal code and claim as my own.
May 12, 2004, 4:03 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=AC_Drkan link=board=17;threadid=6743;start=0#msg59533 date=1084288003]
Well here is how i learned:
[/quote]
Advice from a guy who can't make an algorithm for checking palindromes.
May 12, 2004, 6:00 PM

Search