Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | PDF to HTML IE Plugin

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
Does anyone know of a pluging for Internet Explorer that will allow you to view PDF files as HTML when you click on a link? I'm not a fan of PDF, and find the graphics in it are usually off (maybe I need an update?).
May 10, 2004, 11:46 AM
iago
This is a little kludgy, but use google.com, put in the address of the document, and it'll generally let you view it as text (as long as it's cached). Doesn't always work, but it can :)
May 10, 2004, 12:03 PM
j0k3r
Nice feature, and I never knew about that, however the documents I'm viewing are graphically oriented and it doesn't show the pictures. I'm looking for more of a plugin (if there is one) that will do what google is doing, with the pictures, automatically, if the plugin exists.
May 10, 2004, 2:34 PM
Adron
I don't understand what you want then. If it's converted into html, you'll lose accuracy. Why don't you just use the pdf plugin?
May 11, 2004, 8:32 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=6732;start=0#msg59620 date=1084307548]
I don't understand what you want then. If it's converted into html, you'll lose accuracy. Why don't you just use the pdf plugin?
[/quote]
It's slow, likes to use 100% CPU until the PDF is entirely loaded, and the process never goes away afterwards until you manually terminate it (even after the IE process exits).
May 13, 2004, 12:44 AM
Adron
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=6732;start=0#msg59888 date=1084409098]
It's slow, likes to use 100% CPU until the PDF is entirely loaded, and the process never goes away afterwards until you manually terminate it (even after the IE process exits).
[/quote]

Hmm, I've never noticed any of those problems. It tends to view just as fast as regular acrobat reader, which is really fast.

The process does keep running, but if you have any reasonable amount of RAM it won't bother you. To me, having it running for the next pdf I'm viewing is a great advantage. If you want it to close, you can either start it manually before viewing pdf's and then close it when you're done. If you already have it running in the background, all you have to do is click the acrobat icon and then exit it, and it'll shut down.
May 13, 2004, 12:55 AM

Search