Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Win vs. Linux (Zone-H)

AuthorMessageTime
Archonist
http://www.zone-h.org/en/winvslinux2

Yes, *BSD is awesome.
May 8, 2004, 2:51 PM
peofeoknight
I believe it. The majority of servers out there are linux based. I see headlines on internet.com about flaws in different distros of linux that allow for denial of service attacks etc. But what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it. I mean you either have a windows or a linux server in this day and age, thats where its at.
I would aggree that windows does have its fair share of vulnerabilities, greater then that of linux, becuase the majority of computer users are on windows, and the majority of windows users are people like me mom that like to open every attachement and download mp3.exe on kazaa. But as far as server use goes, if the admin knows what he is doing windows should be pretty secure.
May 8, 2004, 3:10 PM
Archonist
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=6699;start=0#msg59054 date=1084029034]
I believe it. The majority of servers out there are linux based. I see headlines on internet.com about flaws in different distros of linux that allow for denial of service attacks etc. But what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it. I mean you either have a windows or a linux server in this day and age, thats where its at.
I would aggree that windows does have its fair share of vulnerabilities, greater then that of linux, becuase the majority of computer users are on windows, and the majority of windows users are people like me mom that like to open every attachement and download mp3.exe on kazaa. But as far as server use goes, if the admin knows what he is doing windows should be pretty secure.
[/quote]

Your kidding, right? I know alot of servers running BSD, for instance my host, Slacktech, and my website, http://nixfree.slacktech.com. Where did you get your information from? Servers only run from linuxs or windows? That's totally NOT true.
May 8, 2004, 3:19 PM
Grok
[quote author=Archonist link=board=2;threadid=6699;start=0#msg59055 date=1084029590]
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=6699;start=0#msg59054 date=1084029034]
[/quote]

Your kidding, right? I know alot of servers running BSD, for instance my host, Slacktech, and my website, http://nixfree.slacktech.com. Where did you get your information from? Servers only run from linuxs or windows? That's totally NOT true.
[/quote]

Try not to take things people say too literally. You'll end up in arguments all day. He was saying that most everyone is running Windows or Linux as their servers.
May 8, 2004, 3:25 PM
Archonist
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=6699;start=0#msg59056 date=1084029940]
Try not to take things people say too literally. You'll end up in arguments all day. He was saying that most everyone is running Windows or Linux as their servers.
[/quote]

No he wasn't. If you read his post it states

[quote]But what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it. I mean you either have a windows or a linux server in this day and age, thats where its at.[/quote]

Meaning, There are no servers running BSD which is not true.
May 8, 2004, 3:27 PM
hismajesty
He said he's never heard of a server running *BSD, now he has.
May 8, 2004, 3:30 PM
Grok
[quote author=Archonist link=board=2;threadid=6699;start=0#msg59057 date=1084030032]
[/quote]

[quote]But what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it. I mean you either have a windows or a linux server in this day and age, thats where its at.[/quote]

[/quote]

Ugh. Look up the term "literally". I rest my case. "Try not to take things people say too literally. You'll end up in arguments all day."

Do you, for even a moment, believe he was saying that everyone runs only one of Windows or Linux? If so, you're dumb as a rock.
May 8, 2004, 5:35 PM
Archonist
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=6699;start=0#msg59067 date=1084037700]
[quote author=Archonist link=board=2;threadid=6699;start=0#msg59057 date=1084030032]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ugh. Look up the term "literally". I rest my case. "Try not to take things people say too literally. You'll end up in arguments all day."

Do you, for even a moment, believe he was saying that everyone runs only one of Windows or Linux? If so, you're dumb as a rock.
[/quote]

No, I don't belive that, nor did I say that. I also don't feel like arguing all day and I did misread his post.
May 8, 2004, 5:39 PM
iago
Haha, dumb as a rock.
May 8, 2004, 5:47 PM
hismajesty
I had an argument in French once, it was something along the lines of "what's dumber a rock or dirt?"
May 8, 2004, 6:03 PM
Thing
[quote]YOU SHOULD SEND ALL THIS ANALYSIS AND THESE GRAPHS IN /DEV/NULL[/quote]

The most important part of that article.
May 8, 2004, 6:04 PM
peofeoknight
[/quote]

[/quote] Yes I was lol.
[quote]
But what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it.[/quote] even if you do take what I said literally, I said I have never head of a server running from it.
May 12, 2004, 2:04 AM
Forged
The Biggest PVPGN server Enders runs off of BDS.
May 13, 2004, 5:02 AM
St0rm.iD
Look at Netcraft top uptimes, and you'll see a ton of BSD servers :)
May 14, 2004, 1:05 AM
peofeoknight
what kind of servers are we talking about now? Still http? Or game, app, irc, ftp, proxy, what?
May 16, 2004, 2:50 AM
Adron
Netcraft has http servers.
May 16, 2004, 10:33 AM

Search