Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Wired->Wireless->Wireless->Wired ?

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
OK, here's my situation...

I have DSL coming into the modem, then into a Linksys Wireless Router. The router is DHCP-enabled.

Presently, I'm using that USB wireless NIC to get the wireless to my computer. I then use Network Bridge and Internet Connection Sharing to bridge the connection over my ethernet NIC, which goes to a hub, to my Xbox.

I've been having problems using my Xbox with ICS, so I decided to plug down the cash for a true wireless solution -- so I bought a Microsoft (hey, it was the same price for Belkin) wireless router/access point.

The theory goes like this:
[code]
DSL
|
Linksys Router
|
|---(Wired)---Computer 1, Same Room
|
| (Wireless)
|
Microsoft Access Point
|
|
|---(Wired)---Computer 2, My room
|
|---(Wired)---Xbox, My room
[/code]

Now, after spending 45 minutes on the phone with MS support, I find out that the MS access point needs a wired connection from the Linksys router to the MS access point to send a signal over the wires, which completely defeats the whole purpose.

What do I need as the intermediary to bridge the wireless internet back to the ethernet connections? I don't care if it has to go back into a hub (I have a 5-port active switch in my room already), but I don't want to keep doing what I'm doing. It disables Xbox voice chat and makes my lag horrible. ICS sucks.

Help!

[edit] Aside from not wanting to just pluck down the $100 for the Xbox adapter, I want to be able to run Linux with the internet on my computer. Doing this all helps me kill two birds with one stone -- Linux supports my ethernet adapter, so if I can get network access in there without the USB wireless adapter, I'll be in good shape. [/edit]
May 5, 2004, 11:11 PM
Adron
I think what you need is an access point that supports bridging transparently between the wired and wireless networks. Perhaps what you have now is a gateway, not a bridge?
May 5, 2004, 11:26 PM
Thing
What's the range on the Microsoft Gizmo? Why don't you just run the DSL into a switch and wire the LinkSys and Microsoft things into the switch? They can each get their own IP address and function independent of each other.
May 5, 2004, 11:52 PM
Adron
What he's trying to do is connect two wired networks by a wireless connection, a wireless bridge?
May 6, 2004, 12:13 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=6672;start=0#msg58733 date=1083802407]
What he's trying to do is connect two wired networks by a wireless connection, a wireless bridge?
[/quote]

That's the goal. Here's how I have it set up right now:

[code]
DSL
| (wired)
Linksys Wireless Router
|
|---(Wired)---Computer 1 (Same room)
|
|---(Wireless)---Computer 2 (Different room)
|
|--(Wired)--Switch via ICS
|
|--(Wired)--Xbox
[/code]

I want to use plain ethernet in the different room where Computer 2 and Xbox are. I just can't use a wire to get it there.

[update]
I just bought a Linksys 802.11b game adapter -- essentially, the thing has a single ethernet port that goes to a game console (such as my Xbox). I'm going to see if I can put it onto the switch to make it work, but if not, at least my Xbox will work on wireless. Too bad for Linux :(
May 6, 2004, 12:45 AM
SiMi
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=6672;start=0#msg58741 date=1083804316]
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=6672;start=0#msg58733 date=1083802407]
[/quote]

That's the goal. Here's how I have it set up right now:

[code]
DSL
| (wired)
Linksys Wireless Router
|
|---(Wired)---Computer 1 (Same room)
|
|---(Wireless)---Computer 2 (Different room)
|
|--(Wired)--Switch via ICS
|
|--(Wired)--Xbox
[/code]

I want to use plain ethernet in the different room where Computer 2 and Xbox are. I just can't use a wire to get it there.

[update]
I just bought a Linksys 802.11b game adapter -- essentially, the thing has a single ethernet port that goes to a game console (such as my Xbox). I'm going to see if I can put it onto the switch to make it work, but if not, at least my Xbox will work on wireless. Too bad for Linux :(
[/quote]
ewww dont tell me you bought the wireless router made especially for xbox. Those are so expensive and a jip a lot of the time.
May 6, 2004, 5:03 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Simi link=board=2;threadid=6672;start=0#msg58779 date=1083819797]
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=6672;start=0#msg58741 date=1083804316]
[update]
[/quote]
ewww dont tell me you bought the wireless router made especially for xbox. Those are so expensive and a jip a lot of the time.
[/quote]

I suggest you read. If you look at what I wrote, it says (at the beginning) I just bought a Linksys 802.11b game adapter.
May 6, 2004, 8:38 AM

Search