Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | Zope

AuthorMessageTime
St0rm.iD
Wow. Once I got over a lot of the core concepts (everything's an object, everything in a parent folder is inherited by a child folder, etc), I discovered that Zope (2.6 at least) is awesome. Integrated user authentication, very easy for page management, great separation of logic from presentation (hint: use ZPT for your pages, METAL for your page layouts, and Script (Python) for your controllers and models. The only thing I miss from Zope is that I think it should be able to export everything via SOAP. Oh well.

Why do I like Zope? Every document isn't just a file, it's a document, and you can set different custom attributes on it, such as title. It also allows me to tightly control user access, and give them access to the root Zope admin page because of its ease of use. And, surprisingly, it has good SQL access, too. Once you start thinking in the Zope mindset, it's really fast to create great Web apps.

But I wouldn't use Zope in the real world. No developer pool or hosting. I'll stick with CFMX :)

Anyway, the point of this was to check out Zope. http://www.objectis.net gives free hosting. If anything, you'll come out with a new mindset for developing Web sites.
May 1, 2004, 5:35 AM

Search