Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Determining your gateway

AuthorMessageTime
DeCeP7ioN
What do you think is the best way to determine which Battle.net gateway you are on? (USWest, USEast, Asia, Europe)

Does anyone have a complete list of all Battle.net servers for each gateway?
April 28, 2004, 4:37 AM
Stealth
[quote author=DeCeP7ioN link=board=17;threadid=6515;start=0#msg57231 date=1083127029]
What do you think is the best way to determine which Battle.net gateway you are on? (USWest, USEast, Asia, Europe)
[/quote]

The method I use, which seems to make quite a bit of sense, is a silent application of what Kane describes here.
April 28, 2004, 4:51 AM
tA-Kane
[quote author=Stealth link=board=17;threadid=6515;start=0#msg57232 date=1083127874]
[quote author=DeCeP7ioN link=board=17;threadid=6515;start=0#msg57231 date=1083127029]What do you think is the best way to determine which Battle.net gateway you are on? (USWest, USEast, Asia, Europe)[/quote]
The method I use, which seems to make quite a bit of sense, is a silent application of what Kane describes here.[/quote]Silent, by not displaying any received events until you've aquired the name of your gateway? Or what?

By bot, by default, does not display any channel join, user join/leave, or chat messages while it's getting the name of the gateway. It does, however, display private messages. Since it uses the default public (spawn-point) channels (as opposed to private channels or its home channel), I figured chat messages should be filtered as well. However, if I were to have it go to its home channel during this, I would not filter chat messages.

The downside of going to its home channel instead of the spawning channels is that people in that channel (usually your friends) may get annoyed that you join, leave, and join again quickly... and some ops bots may even ban you thinking that you're a flood bot.

Perhaps the best channel to use to get the name of the gateway would be The Void (or any other Silent-flagged channel for that matter ;) ), since you receive few events for that channel.
April 28, 2004, 9:22 PM

Search