Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | netsky

AuthorMessageTime
peofeoknight
Just did some spring cleaning on my system, found netsky, and a few trojans on there, deleted about 120 instances of worms/viruses/and trojans. But netsky in particular is freaken annoying, i got 3 netsky infected emails today, I just do not save or open attachments, but still its annoying, so many people have it. I am still wondering how I got it because I have not opened a thing attachment wise or downloaded anything like
mp3.exe on kazaa. I think I might have gotten it from my mom over our network or something moronic like that. Just a friendly reminder, its spring time and its allergy season http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&close_parent=true&plfid=23&pkj=MYBFJRFSKLUKUMXCCJD don't allow yourself to be a pawn in someones ddos attack, and do not spread the most annoying netsky with its built in smtp.
April 27, 2004, 12:43 AM
iago
You say that, yet your let yourself have that many worms/trojans?

Hypocrite..
April 27, 2004, 1:02 AM
Grok
peofeoknight, hmmm I was about to respond with some detail, but I've responded to so many people I wonder if it would not be better to write a web page on the subject.

that said, there must be hundreds out there already that teach intelligent people how to protect themselves from internet foes, while on windows systems.
April 27, 2004, 1:09 AM
Null
In some case's you dont have to run/execute anything for your machine to become infected (Blaster) , Hackers will generally find flaws in something to make there propergation faster (RPC).
April 27, 2004, 1:25 AM
peofeoknight
My mom opened an attachement and it got into her machine and got into mine through the network because I just took netsky off her machine too. The trojans on there were not backdoors that would allow people to do data theft, more like mass email trojans that allow machines to be controled from an irc server to be used in ddos attacks, got those the same way. I never had processes running for these things (never saw anything unfamiliar running in task manager, which is actually open quite a bit on this machine) so I did not know until I started getting email notifications.
[quote]
You say that, yet your let yourself have that many worms/trojans?

Hypocrite..
[/quote] how does me getting some worms make me a hypocrite? Reread my first post, I am saying check your system for this because I had it, more or less. I do not understand how you get hypocritical from that. I had 2 instances of this ddos trojan on my machine which were just simple delete the file deals, and I ran a client for netsky which was all over on both machines. I did not let it on there, and I am going to put norton on my moms machine since she insists on opening her attachements (she uses outlook and it seems to like to block out every attachment in site if you have it set to block harmful attachments). The whole reason I posted this was to tell everyone to look for netsky on their machines because a whole lot of people have it.

*keep in mind netsky has its own built in smtp goin so it is spreading like wild fire and even if you do nto have netsky I bet the odds are you have seen the spam...
April 27, 2004, 4:34 AM
LW-Falcon
get an antivirus program and a firewall, and keep them updated.
April 28, 2004, 9:09 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=LW-Falcon link=board=2;threadid=6495;start=0#msg57346 date=1083186554]
[/quote] screw that. I have a hardware firewall on ma router and a sophos scanner. But I would not keep norton running on this box, I am not a big fan of norton.
April 29, 2004, 6:19 AM
iago
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=6495;start=0#msg57513 date=1083219587]
[quote author=LW-Falcon link=board=2;threadid=6495;start=0#msg57346 date=1083186554]
[/quote] screw that. I have a hardware firewall on ma router and a sophos scanner. But I would not keep norton running on this box, I am not a big fan of norton.
[/quote]

Well, you clearly know a lot about security since you've barely had any viruses. Well, besides "about 120 instances of worms/viruses/and trojans", but I'm sure you know what you're doing.
April 29, 2004, 1:29 PM

Search