Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | W3XP

AuthorMessageTime
UserLoser
That is just what im guessing the client tag will be(W3XP), but who will be the first one to get a working "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" login?  Meaning when the beta is released...

*besides skywing* ;)
January 23, 2003, 9:59 PM
celluloid
to my knowledge SphT was actually the first person to get the war3 beta working....so it might be him :P
January 24, 2003, 4:45 AM
Spht
[quote]to my knowledge SphT was actually the first person to get the war3 beta working....so it might be him :P[/quote]

I was the first person to support the Battle.net logon server (BNLS). Which, at the time, only supported Warcraft III beta. Skywing figured the Warcraft III logon.

Seeing as I don't believe anyone else has figured the logon for Warcraft III (or, the new logon system), I'd bet that in no time Skywing will have figured out the Warcraft III expansion logon which will very likely use the new logon system. The game is an expansion, so like Starcraft and Brood War's relationship, the logon between the two games will probably be very similar.
January 24, 2003, 8:50 AM
Spht
As an additive, I don't think there will be a new product for the expansion (i.e., your suggestion: W3XP). If you notice in the current Warcraft III statstring, there is a WORD which has 'W3' - this will probably come in to use when the expansion is released (possibly 'XP'). It will be the identification of expansion from the original game.
January 24, 2003, 8:54 AM
Zakath
I never thought of that...hmm...

Although it would fly in the face of every previous precedent Blizzard has established. Every time there's been an expansion they changed the client tag for it.
January 24, 2003, 12:05 PM
celluloid
ah thanks for clearing that up SphT. I actually thought you reversed engineered the war3 beta to log on it (like Skywing has down with reg War3) my mistake.
January 24, 2003, 3:33 PM
Soul Taker
Spht:  Before someone has played a ladder game of War3 currently, they display no statstring at all.  So if the client was determined from the statstring, it would be impossible to tell if people are on the expansion or not when they are on new accounts and such.
January 24, 2003, 4:47 PM
MesiaH
everybody has a statstring, some of the fields may be null or 0's but there is ALWAYS a statstring.
January 24, 2003, 5:35 PM
Zakath
What SoulTaker means is that a War3 statstring for someone who has played no games consists of '3RAW' and nothing else.
January 24, 2003, 5:57 PM
UserLoser
Well, Zakath is correct, so they must either have to change the statstring again, or just have a new client tag which im guessing they will.
January 24, 2003, 6:16 PM
MesiaH
i know what he meant, but even with a statstring like that, if they do the same with the expansion, it would be "3EXP" or whatever its gonna be, something to indicate its the expansion game.
January 24, 2003, 10:54 PM
Arta
Wouldn't putting the expansion tag in the statstring require all clients to be patched? Since atm, they can just add the new icon to the relevant icons.bni and it would be displayed automatically - wearas non-WAR3 clients probably don't check the statstring when assigning icons to WAR3 clients...
January 25, 2003, 1:32 PM
Adron
Only if a Starcraft user should care whether it is w3 or w3 exp.
January 25, 2003, 1:48 PM
Zakath
They made Starcraft care whether it was D2DV or D2XP...I would guess they'll do the same with War3.
January 27, 2003, 12:47 PM
Skywing
[quote]They made Starcraft care whether it was D2DV or D2XP...I would guess they'll do the same with War3.[/quote]
By the way, Warcraft III already has it's own format for downloadable icons which are based on the contents of a user's statstring.  No, these are not in regular .bni format, nor are they available for previous clients.
January 27, 2003, 2:01 PM
UserLoser
I had to use a MPQViewer to view the icons-WAR3.bni, the icon viewer i used can be found at:

http://www.wc3network.com/download.php?cat=1&file=16

What i found in the icons-WAR3.bni is just Game Fixx, and KBK... if you look in war3.mpq, you can find the icons for best race, friends list ect. in the MPQ at:

UI\Widgets\BattleNet\ChatIcons\

Could anyone tell me which .bni file has the lag icons in it?
January 27, 2003, 5:30 PM
Zakath
Hmm...Sky, didn't you say that the lag icons are stored locally? The client (and BinaryChat) just draws as many of them as it needs to when someone joins the channel...
January 27, 2003, 6:18 PM
Skywing
Note that the "built-in" icons are also stored in those same paths.  In case you don't know how MPQs work, it's pretty clear that icons-WAR3.bni is an archive with a higher priority than the default MPQ, and can thus override any icons provided there.

Yes, the lag bars are stored locally.
January 28, 2003, 9:18 AM

Search