Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | How would you convert a directory and all of its contents to text file

AuthorMessageTime
Tontow
How would you convert a directory and all of its contents to a text file?

IE: I have a very larg folder that contains 3000++ files (files in the subfolders included), and i need to list each of those files including all of the files that are it the sub folders and all the files that are in the sub-sub folders etc.

basically if i where to put the exe drive c (C:\) it would list every file right down to your desktop, game folders, everything.

if i where to put it on my desktop it would list everything on my desktop.

if im not being clear then please say so.
April 26, 2004, 5:25 PM
Adron
Go to a command prompt and type "dir /s". If that's not the kind of listing you want, try "dir /s /b". If that's not it either, try "tree /f".

If you find one that you like, redirect the output to a text file, i.e. "dir /s /b >c:\filename.txt".
April 26, 2004, 5:33 PM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=31;threadid=6489;start=0#msg57019 date=1083000805]
Go to a command prompt and type "dir /s". If that's not the kind of listing you want, try "dir /s /b". If that's not it either, try "tree /f".

If you find one that you like, redirect the output to a text file, i.e. "dir /s /b >c:\filename.txt".
[/quote]

I did exactly that once, to document my friend's mp3s, and it worked fantastically.
April 26, 2004, 5:38 PM
Tontow
Perfict!!! thx very much you just saveed me from haveing to type those in manually :-X
April 26, 2004, 6:19 PM
FuzZ
[quote author=Adron link=board=31;threadid=6489;start=0#msg57019 date=1083000805]

[/quote]

half the time I just mIRC cause I always have one open lol

[code]
//echo 1 $findfile(C:\Mp3s\,*.*,0, write fileindex.txt $remove($1-,C:\Mp3s\))
[/code]

But I think your method is much more efficient :)
April 27, 2004, 2:14 PM

Search