Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | A few questions

AuthorMessageTime
soccerist
I'd like to create my own binary C++ unix bot, but first I have a few questions I need clarification on.  

What exactly is BotNet?  Is it a server we can test our bots on that emulates battle.net server?  And about the protocol specifications for BotNet... how are they the same, and different from BNLS? (I assume this is what the REAL battle.net uses).

From reading around this forum I think my first steps are to get the socket connection part with the server.  

For it, I need to connect(), then send() & recv() packets following the protocol specifications to do all the stuff needed to log in.  I have to identify each packet and analyze them to do this.  Am I correct so far?

Just trying to get some guidance.  Thx.

soCC
January 21, 2003, 3:24 AM
Moonshine
The BotNet (assuming you're talking about the vL one), is a seperate network of bots outside of bnet, not a bnet emulation.  It implements various features in which battle.net does not have such as: No flood protection whispering (not over bnet, but through the botnet), seeing what bots are in which channel, their info, etc.

goto: http://www.valhallalegends.com/files/BotNetProtocol.txt

For details.  And yes, you are correct in your assumption of the basic steps to perform a battle.net connection/login.
January 21, 2003, 4:20 AM
tA-Kane
Read up on various documents at
http://botdev.valhallalegends.com/

Additionally, the Battle.net Logon Server (BNLS) protocol specification is here...
http://www.valhallalegends.com/yoni/BNLSProtocolSpec.txt

BotNet is much different from BNLS. You should read the protocol specs of each to see the differences.
January 21, 2003, 1:12 PM
soccerist
Is BNLS Protocol the same protocol used to log into Battle.net ?
January 25, 2003, 9:59 PM
Moonshine
No.
January 25, 2003, 10:11 PM
UserLoser
BNLS is a separate server designed by Yoni + Skywing.  What it does is you send data, then it sends you back the correct hashed data you need to log onto Battle.net.  Using BNLS is easier, saves time, and will get you Warcraft III logins.
January 25, 2003, 10:15 PM
soccerist
Does that mean you'll have to connect to BNLS every time you want to connect to Battle.net?  

If yes...I'm planning to use my bot that's totally independent of any middle-man server, so maybe that won't be much use to me.  *_*

Also, I read somewhere that bnet uses the SHA-1 hashing algorithm.  I'll see what I can with that.  Any tips anyone?

January 25, 2003, 11:17 PM
RhiNo
[quote]Does that mean you'll have to connect to BNLS every time you want to connect to Battle.net?  

If yes...I'm planning to use my bot that's totally independent of any middle-man server, so maybe that won't be much use to me.  *_*
[/quote]

Yes =\ so you will have to cut out the middle man as you said.
January 26, 2003, 8:59 AM
soccerist
Is there a BNCS Protocol Spec around somewhere?  I know there are some of the packet ID's in BNLSProtocolSpec.txt.  Just having the (more complete) BNCS one would help my life a lot.  I'm just trying to sort through packets the hard way.  :(

January 27, 2003, 1:41 AM
Arta
There is indeed!

As of today, Bnetdocs is available:

http://www.valhallalegends.com/arta/bnetdocs/
January 27, 2003, 2:02 AM
soccerist
omg arta, you da man!

Haha.  I have like 5 pieces of paper back and front, with hex written all over them.  trying to figure out what is what.  lol.  (I am trying to do this without copying code)

I'm sure this is how the first person who figured out the stuff did it too.  

Thanks much.
January 27, 2003, 5:53 PM
soccerist
Oh yeah.  1 thing.  I noticed there's no "official" way to log out.  Just closing the browser.  You might want to implement that.  Btw, Great job!
;D
January 27, 2003, 6:28 PM
Arta

I'll probably add that when I implement user preferences, which will have colour schemes (just for kp), password change/recovery, that kind of thing .
January 27, 2003, 9:33 PM
Zakath
Haha...Kp asked for customizable color schemes?
January 27, 2003, 11:39 PM
Arta
Yeah, he's such a sissy ;)
January 28, 2003, 12:02 AM
soccerist
I don't know if someone's told you, or it's just with me.  Sometimes your site has some trouble loading.  Sometimes it'll load the right side like it's supposed to, or it'll load the right side only halfway, or sometimes even not at all.

:-X
January 28, 2003, 5:32 PM

Search