Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Create Game

AuthorMessageTime
Nodens
Starcraft: Brood war
VB6

When I create games with my bot, I can add more "bots" to it..but I am unable to join it using actual starcraft. I assume there are UDP packets and such I need to use/know, but Bnetdocs doesn't really deal with game packets. I'm unable to use a sniffer on my computer to see them because I'm running dialup with windows XP and apparently 99% of all decent sniffers don't like that combo. When I run something such as ethereal, it does capture the packets..but it does it quite litereally. It doesn't allow them to actually pass through my modem. It stops them dead. Any help?
April 10, 2004, 4:27 PM
tA-Kane
[quote author=Nodens link=board=17;threadid=6237;start=0#msg54388 date=1081614479]When I run something such as ethereal, it does capture the packets..but it does it quite litereally. It doesn't allow them to actually pass through my modem. It stops them dead. Any help?[/quote]How are you sure Ethereal prevents the packets from passing through your modem?

Do you have a firewall installed?

There are, by the way, other packet sniffers for Windows XP. A quick search on google reveals that there's even possibly libraries and/or SDKs that you could use to write your own if you don't like what exists.
April 10, 2004, 5:11 PM
Nodens
I know they don't pass through because any connection I have halts there if I have Ethereal running and Ethereal even states on it's site that they don't support 56k with XP. It has something to do with the WinPCap Library. I have however found a decent sniffer that seems to work well with XP. It's Commview if anyone else is having the same problems as me with sniffers. I'll be messing with the logs for a bit, but any extra help with it would be appriciated.
April 10, 2004, 5:24 PM
Lenny
It looks like a good program...
There's a 30 day trial version at their main site...

Doesn't joining a game also require some UDP data to be sent back and forth? Even if its a bot....I know pre-game chat is UDP.
April 10, 2004, 6:13 PM
Nodens
Heh, yeah. Sorry about that. Forgot to mention that it's not free. I'm positive that there's udp stuff involved, just not sure on the packet structure or any of the packet ids.
April 10, 2004, 6:31 PM
ChR0NiC
I recommend using WPE Pro it can be found here
April 10, 2004, 8:52 PM
Dyndrilliac
WPE Pro for XP got updated recently(March of 2004). You should goto the site of the developer if you want the newest version.

http://fly.to/mtc
April 10, 2004, 11:23 PM
Nodens
Thank you for the advice with the sniffers. I appriciate the help.
April 11, 2004, 1:37 AM
Dari
good luck on the udp stuff it took me one night to rewrite the udp crc algorithm (or better to find it^^)
April 12, 2004, 4:30 PM

Search