Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | C/C++ Programming | Experienced Scripters Wanted-MMO Game Creation

AuthorMessageTime
mafiahitman4
Hi, I am looking for a few good C++ scripters to help us build a game from scratch. Thats right, from scratch.... We need an Engine and all that stuff

It is going to be a cross between Grand Theft Auto Vice City and a massively multiplayer game, we need some c++ coders out there who could help.

If you are interested add my msn or aim! (msn is James_dude123@hotmail.com and aim is manoftheman6)
April 6, 2004, 11:10 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
I'd suggest using the Unreal Engine although I don't know where you will find. Could you give a little more of a description of this game. I don't think I could do the job, I know very little C++.

--13-yr-old-newb
April 6, 2004, 11:15 PM
mafiahitman4
add my email for more information (Takes to long to type in here)
April 6, 2004, 11:17 PM
iago
It takes longer to reply to a dozen people who IM you.
April 6, 2004, 11:28 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=0#msg53788 date=1081293052]
Hi, I am looking for a few good C++ scripters to help us build a game from scratch. [/quote]

OK.... Now I'll grant that I'm definitely not a C++ expert... But last I checked it wasn't a "scripting" language. Do many C++ programmers "script" C++?
April 6, 2004, 11:31 PM
mafiahitman4
LOL sorry about that typing error anyways in this game you can make what ever weapon or vehicle anyway you want if you or your gang (get to that in a sec) owns the right building, you can join or create gangs and go to war with other gangs.

you can build any building you want if you download a mod for the game, you can also download a gun/vehicle editor too.

If you are the mob boss (leader of the gang) you can make missions for your members to do to earn money (you also download that from the site.)

If you need to know more email me or add my messengers
April 6, 2004, 11:42 PM
j0k3r
And these personal guns/vehicles, how will other players see them? Will they have it streamed to them?

How about a server? Do you have enough money to pay for such a server? What about paying the programmers for their work?
April 7, 2004, 12:06 AM
Mephisto
*Yawn*

Do you intend to make profit off of this game?
April 7, 2004, 12:31 AM
mafiahitman4
yes i have 3 severs, there are going to be 3 cities to use them, it is going to be a 3 dimentional world
April 7, 2004, 12:35 AM
mafiahitman4
yes i do, 20 dollers a year for a membership but there is a no creditcard needed 7 day trail
April 7, 2004, 12:35 AM
mafiahitman4
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=0#msg53804 date=1081296406]
What about paying the programmers for their work?
[/quote]

I am paying commission when the game is completed
April 7, 2004, 12:36 AM
Eli_1
Try not to post 3 times in a row from now on. If you've already posted and then relieze that you forgot something, utilize the modify feature.
April 7, 2004, 12:39 AM
mafiahitman4
lol Sorry I forgot
April 7, 2004, 12:40 AM
j0k3r
How are they paying without a credit card? You think $20/year will sustain 3 servers and (possible) patches? Where is the guarantee they will get a cut?
April 7, 2004, 12:57 AM
iago
3 sever? 7 day trail? Do I really want to trust somebody who can't spell simple words to eventually pay me? Hah.
April 7, 2004, 1:22 AM
mafiahitman4
We will raise the price when interest increases, right now, it is just to get a name going and what not, we arent worried about the price, we are worried about getting someone to help us code.
April 7, 2004, 1:22 AM
mafiahitman4
Is there anyone on this forum who is a forward thinker? Because I dont notice any. And ya I can spell but I am so used to quick type that it takes me awile to get used to correct spelling.
April 7, 2004, 2:12 AM
iago
So you aren't willing to spend time to spell correctly, but we should trust you to put effort into this?

And you're going to screw your customers when it gets popular? Good plan.

April 7, 2004, 2:32 AM
mafiahitman4
Yes I have put alot of thought into this, around 3 years. And I don't know why you would ever think I'm going to "screw" customers because I just don't do that kind of stuff.

Is there anyone out there who isnt going to try and find every single con in this project of mine?
April 7, 2004, 2:36 AM
Grok
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53826 date=1081303929]
Is there anyone on this forum who is a forward thinker? Because I dont notice any. And ya I can spell but I am so used to quick type that it takes me awile to get used to correct spelling.
[/quote]

My two cents. You don't need forward thinking. In my opinion, you're thinking too far forward. I suggest creating something you really love, for your own sake, for your own enjoyment. If it is a success, you'll have the beginnings of something other people will want to play for pay.
April 7, 2004, 2:51 AM
mafiahitman4
[quote author=Grok link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53835 date=1081306303]
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53826 date=1081303929]
[/quote]

My two cents. You don't need forward thinking. In my opinion, you're thinking too far forward. I suggest creating something you really love, for your own sake, for your own enjoyment. If it is a success, you'll have the beginnings of something other people will want to play for pay.
[/quote]
That is exactly why I want to do it, we are going to take this slow but we really want a coder to move it along, we thought out all the stuff we need and don't, and we are going to use visual C++ and we need a coder who is an expert at that.
April 7, 2004, 11:53 AM
iago
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53831 date=1081305411]
Yes I have put alot of thought into this, around 3 years. And I don't know why you would ever think I'm going to "screw" customers because I just don't do that kind of stuff. [/quote]
You said yourself that you're going to wait until you get a customer base, then you're going to jack up the price. That isn't screwing them?

[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53831 date=1081305411]
Is there anyone out there who isnt going to try and find every single con in this project of mine?
[/quote]
No.

Besides, if I'm going to work for somebody (which I'm not, but that's besides the point) I want to know the cons before I start.
April 7, 2004, 1:00 PM
mafiahitman4
What the hell no im not, I am giving a 7 day trial and when its done they pay thats not Screwing them, thats giving them a taste of it
April 7, 2004, 3:51 PM
iago
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53823 date=1081300975]
We will raise the price when interest increases...
[/quote]
April 7, 2004, 4:00 PM
mafiahitman4
Lol I didn't say that I told my friend to reply so I guess he said that.
April 7, 2004, 4:02 PM
iago
Ah, sharing passwords, another mark of sound management.

I work at the bottom end of the CS spectrum (an intern, or co-op student, or somesuch) and I make $15.38 an hour. Can you really compete with that for the hours and hours of work it would take to do what you propose?
April 7, 2004, 4:34 PM
mafiahitman4
Most of the people helping me, prity much just want it to be part of theirs, I never really gave a thought about paying them since they don't want any money.
April 7, 2004, 8:08 PM
Adron
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53896 date=1081368490]
Most of the people helping me, prity much just want it to be part of theirs, I never really gave a thought about paying them since they don't want any money.
[/quote]

But then, they're not expert coders who can make good money working instead of bored kids who just want to play?
April 7, 2004, 8:13 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53865 date=1081338819]
...we really want a coder to move it along...[/quote]

Want? Seems more like you need.

[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53865 date=1081338819]
That is exactly why I want to do it, we are going to take this slow but...[/quote]
That's an understatement...

Yes I have put alot of thought into this, around 3 years.
[/quote]

And you are just now looking to develope a game engine?

[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53896 date=1081368490]
prity[/quote]

Did you pass grade 2 spelling/english?

You aren't going to find what you're looking for here, I can almost guarantee that.
April 7, 2004, 9:39 PM
mafiahitman4
Ok just my friend said that this would be the best place to find help so I tryed and I guess it's not.
April 7, 2004, 9:50 PM
iago
Who said that? We'll have to remember to tell him to stop sending people here :)
April 7, 2004, 10:46 PM
Adron
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53903 date=1081374617]
Ok just my friend said that this would be the best place to find help so I tryed and I guess it's not.
[/quote]

You could find help here, if you seemed more like someone worth investing time in. You're making a bad impression. It seems that you need us and we don't need you. That's not an optimal situation for you. So, why do we need you?
April 8, 2004, 12:11 AM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=30#msg53921 date=1081383081]
[quote author=mafiahitman4 link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=15#msg53903 date=1081374617]
[/quote]

You could find help here, if you seemed more like someone worth investing time in. You're making a bad impression. It seems that you need us and we don't need you. That's not an optimal situation for you. So, why do we need you?
[/quote]

Adron is absolutely correct. There's a certain thing called *respect*. Some people get it, some people don't. Spelling words correctly, for example, would be a great start. If you came here for a bit, read around, make useful comments on other thread, THEN asked for help once people knew you/respected you, you would have had a much better chance. If I, or Adron, or, say, Noodlez or HisMajesty proposed something similar to this, there would be a much better chance of us giving him a chance.
April 8, 2004, 12:56 AM
Sparky
Ok, I am working on the MMO, it has alot of thought put into it, manoftheman has gotten tired of answering questions and since I have alot of patience and debate in me, I will glady answer any questions. I will also glady get drilled then work my way out of it. Good luck;)
April 8, 2004, 1:29 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Sparky link=board=30;threadid=6187;start=30#msg53945 date=1081387766]
Ok, I am working on the MMO, it has alot of thought put into it, manoftheman has gotten tired of answering questions and since I have alot of patience and debate in me, I will glady answer any questions. I will also glady get drilled then work my way out of it. Good luck;)
[/quote]

I've read through much of this thread, not feeling the need to reply, as Adron and iago have both done more than enough of the pointing out of errors. However, I feel the need to step in.

Congratulations on at least spelling your words correctly. I would next look at your grammatical construction -- you utlize the technique of "run-on sentences." Rather than using a comma without conjunctions, I suggest utilizing the "period" (that little dot), the "dash" (two hyphens, indicating a natural pause), and the "semicolon" (the thing to the left of the apostrophe and the right of the L key).

On the more serious side of your post, I would suggest not trying to get into a debate here. There is very little point and interest in a debate on your MMO project. Rather, as both Adron and iago have stated, I would suggest that you begin by offering your skills and knowledge to this community before you begin to expect something in return. There is no need to pick a fight, nor is there any need to "debate" anyone. But I am more likely to help someone like Eli_1 or Noodlez. with a problem because I've seen them regularly posting here, contributing to the group, than I would be to help some random person who just came here. If someone comes to the BotDev forum and posts something along the lines of "I need help connecting to Battle.net," I've never seen the name, and his/her post count is less than 5, I will have a hearty, self-righteous laugh and say, "You need to read BnetDocs and understand how to operate a packet sniffing program."

Not knowing what coding you have done already, here are some design considerations you will need to make:

[list]
[*]How will you store data? Will it be on one server or on many servers, to lighten load? How will this data be synchronized?
[*]How will the client view your MMO world? How will these views be transmitted from the server?
[*]How will the protocol efficiently communicate between the client and server? How will multiple users be able to interact at the same time? How will the server know how to display a message to some users and not others?
[*]How will you distribute and update your product?
[*]How will you prevent cheating? Do you expect your users to pay for a service that other users can cheat on?
[/list]

I haven't really begun even to touch on all of the technical aspects that you will really need to consider; however, I believe these are some of the more difficult ones. I don't expect you to answer -- I'm simply pointing out that this is an incredibly huge undertaking, and you really need to be prepared for it going in. Going back in 5 months to fix one stupid buffer overflow bug will be tedious, time-consuming hell. You need to have a design strategy and competent workers, neither of which I have yet seen from your group.
April 8, 2004, 2:30 AM
vile
Well said.
April 8, 2004, 7:11 PM
St0rm.iD
You're stupid if you think anyone will code a MMORPG for free when you will make a profit on it.

I'm willing to negotiate a contract, though, but you'll have to contact me first.
April 10, 2004, 3:20 AM
Nova1313
he's not dumb. I'll gladly help him for free. I dont mind I want experience. It looks good on resume and this is what ive been trying todo for years but everyone brings up cost cause they want to make cash not do it for fun. I realize he might make money but honestly if you just want todo it in your spare time should cash matter?

contact me if your interested in my help.

nova1313atNovaslp.net
April 25, 2004, 3:02 PM

Search