Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Yoni's Math Forum | Yoni

AuthorMessageTime
Slaughter
Hi Yoni. I love math and memorizing as much of pi as I can in one day :). I started at 10 digits last week and I am now up to 33. I want to learn faster than I already have...(not just memorizing pi) my schooling seems to be too slow! I don't know where to start on some of these math sites (the ones in the thread "useful links" - could you give me some direction? fyi, I'm only in Algebra II at the moment, but I love math :)
April 1, 2004, 3:08 PM
Yoni
Memorizing Pi (and e, and other constants) doesn't help much in studying math - it's only a common symbol of math geekdom. (In which, btw, you've passed me - I can only remember 23 digits after the decimal).

Mathworld is an awesome site, but it's not a teaching site - it's more of an encyclopedia.

How to learn math... Pay attention in class, I guess? :)
(Try to get into AP or whatever if you can.)
April 1, 2004, 5:59 PM
Slaughter
I've found that memorizing pi doesnt help, but its just fun :) - I pay attention in class and whatnot, and have signed up for all AP courses :). So I guess its just a bit of waiting... It just seems that the rest of the class is so slow -.-
April 1, 2004, 9:31 PM
Noodlez
Slaughter, atleast your not in my shoes. I'm in 10th grade taking Geometry, I've been slacking off for the past 4 years (I took Algrebra 3 times) and now that I have an interest in math, I'm fucked. I would be in whatever comes after Algebra 2 had I not fucked up so badly.
April 2, 2004, 2:01 AM
Newby
[quote author=Noodlez link=board=36;threadid=6113;start=0#msg53139 date=1080871282]
Slaughter, atleast your not in my shoes. I'm in 10th grade taking Geometry, I've been slacking off for the past 4 years (I took Algrebra 3 times) and now that I have an interest in math, I'm fucked. I would be in whatever comes after Algebra 2 had I not fucked up so badly.
[/quote]
I'm in 8th grade and in Honors Geometry. :)
April 2, 2004, 4:42 AM
Noodlez
Oh really? Guess what? Fuck you. ^^
April 2, 2004, 5:02 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Newby link=board=36;threadid=6113;start=0#msg53154 date=1080880973]
[quote author=Noodlez link=board=36;threadid=6113;start=0#msg53139 date=1080871282]
[/quote]
I'm in 8th grade and in Honors Geometry. :)
[/quote]

Well stick with it and DON'T start smoking pot. I was in Honors Algebra my 8th grade year then I started hanging with the wrong crowd and got lazy. Now I am graduated and don't have much of a clue when it comes to anything past the basics of algebra/geometry/trig. I guess I am going to have to refresh some day in college.
April 2, 2004, 8:32 PM
Slaughter
Most of you people have it good - At least you have a chance to take classes like that at that age. I'm advanced for my grade level (10th) in Tennessee - We are like 49thin in the US in education - i.e. Our education SUCKS! I'm considered advanced because you only have to take Algebra 2 here and most of the class are seniors. Yes, and don't smoke pot - it screws you up.
April 2, 2004, 10:00 PM

Search