Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Learning VB

AuthorMessageTime
Jay
Ok, I am just learning how to program. If anyone can tell me like the first couple of steps to making a bot they will be appreciated. ::)
February 2, 2003, 12:30 PM
Zakath
Why, oh why, does everyone insist on running before they know how to walk?
February 2, 2003, 1:48 PM
tA-Kane |@Dad's PC
or standing for that matter...
February 2, 2003, 3:49 PM
n00blar
Zakath, quit being a big flame head =) I think that bots are quite easy and if you implement a wide variety of features it can hit on some things that he will need to know later + help him with the syntax, however you would need to be a talented person and one who picks up on things quick...
February 2, 2003, 4:09 PM
Zakath
Sure, bots are easy once you've made one already. But the first time through it's a ton of new things to be learning at once - some of which will be extremely tough to grasp since the 'programmer' has no idea why what he/she is doing works - or how to extend on it (which leads to all the silly questions from people who have a working binary connection but don't know how to change the background color of a dialog).
February 2, 2003, 5:07 PM
Jay
So, can anyone help me?  ;D
February 2, 2003, 6:19 PM
St0rm.iD
www.python.org
February 2, 2003, 10:19 PM
tA-Kane
[quote]but don't know how to change the background color of a dialog[/quote]

wtf you can change that??

:P
February 2, 2003, 11:15 PM
MesiaH
Why doesnt grok or somebody just make a seperate thread for New Programmers, to decrease the amount of "i was wondering how to make a bot" messages in the botdev. section, cause theyres already 300 of them.
February 3, 2003, 11:36 PM
Arta
I was going to write an FAQ for exactly that purpose but I realised it'd only have one question on it, so I didn't bother ::)
February 5, 2003, 7:22 AM
Grok
Rather than a new forum, why not have the moderators of BotDev make it policy that "if you feel a question is below your self-worth to answer, don't answer."

People come here for help, and they might be beginners.  If you are so far above them that their ignorance insults the high and mighty you, (or is it you're afraid you cannot adequately answer them?) just move on to the next post.

I guess anonymity helps making flames easier.  You can't do that at school or you'd get your heads shoved in the toilet, so you run home, log on the internet, and ridicule people who are seeking knowledge that you may already possess.  Nice.
February 5, 2003, 9:13 AM
tA-Kane
[quote]People come here for help, and they might be beginners.  If you are so far above them that their ignorance insults the high and mighty you, (or is it you're afraid you cannot adequately answer them?) just move on to the next post.[/quote]

Hmmm... actually, if I was afraid I could not adequately answer them, then I would say, "I'm not sure, but this is how I *think* it goes."

[quote]I guess anonymity helps making flames easier.  You can't do that at school or you'd get your heads shoved in the toilet.[/quote]

Actually, if you visit these forums often enough, you could get a similar result here, on the internet, as well.

You see, I have no problem helping people with Battle.net. I do, however, have a problem with helping them learn basic programming techniques.

*Edit*
Oh yeah, and I also have a problem with people who's common sense seems a little lacking, such as...
[quote]ok, what does the 0000 and the [D2DV] mean in :
1002 JOIN groggytoad 0000 [D2DV][/quote]
I mean, all he has to do to figure both of those questions out is compare what the game displays for the user to what the server sent you...

Obviously, if the way the user is displayed (chat messages, or userlist, or both) has changed, along with that data, then obviously, you should try to use common sense to figure out what that something corresponds to.

However, I *can* foresee someone asking for help if the game displays a change, but the packet does not change, or vice-versa (game does not change, but packet does).
February 5, 2003, 12:17 PM
ILurker
All you need to do to make a simple bot is to put 5 texboxes on the form, name them account, password, cd key, server, and home channel, get cleanslatebot, make a button, set the cleanslatebot1 variables to the text boxes, set the bnls acocunt/password/udp/thewait all directly,
for the client, put a button for each game, except d2dv and d2xp, make it so when you hit one of the buttons, it changed the text for a text box you created, renaming it RATS = for starcraft
PXES = for brood war
NB2W = for warcraft 2
3RAW = for warcraft 3
and set the cleanslatebot client to that textbox,
and then make it connect

Easy...
February 9, 2003, 11:28 AM
Grok
[quote]You see, I have no problem helping people with Battle.net. I do, however, have a problem with helping them learn basic programming techniques.[/quote]

Why?  Learning is learning.

My point is that if someone does have these problems with answering certain questions then they should not answer.  The world is full of lots of different people, many different rates of learning, and barriers to learning.  Someone could be both new to programming and speaking their 3rd or 4th language as English.  So their questions may appear stupid to you.  Flaming is only self-serving when applied to education.
February 9, 2003, 12:11 PM
tA-Kane
Your point is well-taken, Grok. I'll shut up.
February 9, 2003, 4:49 PM

Search