Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Would you pay for BNLS?

AuthorMessageTime
iago
Would you pay to use BNLS, either a one-time, monthly, or per-connection fee?

This will never happen, but I'm just curious :)
March 29, 2004, 12:26 AM
Null
Not that this has any reflection on the amount of effort and hard work that was put into the software , but i would be in my cold , cold grave before i forked out money to login to battle.net. (Period)
March 29, 2004, 12:59 AM
DrivE
I stand stedfast on the notion that its only a game, and its not worth it. Just as I would not pay to log on to Battle.Net I would not pay for BNLS. However, if it was a one-time fee AND the fee was small, then I might not have a problem with it.
March 29, 2004, 1:03 AM
Denial
uh no because i rather use ultimatebot then pay for something like that

P.S Do you think the source code for bnls would sell on ebay?
March 29, 2004, 1:40 AM
j0k3r
Quite probably, not for alot unless the right people knew to look for it there at that time though.
March 29, 2004, 1:41 AM
Yoni
No. Teehee!
March 29, 2004, 1:51 AM
St0rm.iD
since bnet is my life...yes

i mean no, absolutely not.
March 29, 2004, 2:04 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=Yoni link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52305 date=1080525084]
No. Teehee!
[/quote]
Wouldn't you be the one being paid? (well, atleast a porton?)
March 29, 2004, 2:08 AM
Fr0z3N
I wouldn't even pay to paly WoW. Rip off.
March 29, 2004, 2:13 AM
tA-Kane
It's not as simple as "would you or wouldn't you", especially if you're going to be redistributing your BNLS information.

I would pay a small one-time fee..., if and only if, it includes athorization to let other people use my login and auth password.

But also, if I were to pay, I would expect a much better service (not saying that BNLS isn't that good... it's great... but paying for something vs getting something for free is different).

I'd expect at least a web interface to administer my BNLS account, rather than just a botnet interface.

I would expect support to be quick and free, and include a phone number to call if I have problems.

I'd also like to see a few changes to the BNLS protocol if I were to pay, such as allowing a cookie in *every* request packet, instead of just a few. That would truly allow for multiple connections to Battle.net to make use of the single BNLS connection, because you'd know exactly which response from BNLS corresponds to which request you sent. There's also a number of smaller things I'd like to see to the BNLS protocol, which I could go over if you want me to...

I'd want guaranteed uptime, with (at least partial or proportional) money back for downtime.

I'd want a guarantee that BNLS does not harvest information sent to it, or that if it does, I am able to know what information it harvests, and have access to the information that it has harvested from my account.

It would also be nice if I could be guaranteed that the data sent by BNLS will work with Battle.net (when used correctly, obviously), instead of assuming that it'll work. Such a guarantee would also require a statement from Blizzard, too...

[quote author=Denial link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52299 date=1080524407]Do you think the source code for bnls would sell on ebay?[/quote]If cities can be bought off of ebay, certainly BNLS's source code could too. It might even sell off of ebay... ;)

Edit: visual appeases
March 29, 2004, 3:03 AM
Vicious
No, I wouldn't.
March 29, 2004, 3:13 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=tA-Kane link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52320 date=1080529405]
It's not as simple as "would you or wouldn't you", especially if you're going to be redistributing your BNLS information.

I would pay a small one-time fee..., if and only if, it includes athorization to let other people use my login and auth password.

But also, if I were to pay, I would expect a much better service (not saying that BNLS isn't that good... it's great... but paying for something vs getting something for free is different).

I'd expect at least a web interface to administer my BNLS account, rather than just a botnet interface.

I would expect support to be quick and free, and include a phone number to call if I have problems.

I'd also like to see a few changes to the BNLS protocol if I were to pay, such as allowing a cookie in *every* request packet, instead of just a few. That would truly allow for multiple connections to Battle.net to make use of the single BNLS connection, because you'd know exactly which response from BNLS corresponds to which request you sent. There's also a number of smaller things I'd like to see to the BNLS protocol, which I could go over if you want me to...

I'd want guaranteed uptime, with (at least partial or proportional) money back for downtime.

I'd want a guarantee that BNLS does not harvest information sent to it, or that if it does, I am able to know what information it harvests, and have access to the information that it has harvested from my account.

It would also be nice if I could be guaranteed that the data sent by BNLS will work with Battle.net (when used correctly, obviously), instead of assuming that it'll work. Such a guarantee would also require a statement from Blizzard, too...

[quote author=Denial link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52299 date=1080524407]Do you think the source code for bnls would sell on ebay?[/quote]If cities can be bought off of ebay, certainly BNLS's source code could too. It might even sell off of ebay... ;)

Edit: visual appeases
[/quote]

I am definitely right on with Kane here.
March 29, 2004, 3:18 AM
j0k3r
I'm 100% against him if he wants to pay a small one time fee for all of that.
March 29, 2004, 3:27 AM
Stealth
I agree with Kane.
March 29, 2004, 4:17 AM
DaRk-FeAnOr
I think that I would, depending upon the price. Anything more than $5 dollars one time fee, not worth it.
March 29, 2004, 4:20 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=tA-Kane link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52320 date=1080529405]
[/quote]
More work, but I'm sure they'd do it for money.

[/quote]
So they have to be up 24/7 to answer your problems? What about school? Work? You think your one time payment of $4.99 is really enough for that?

[/quote]
Businesses pay thousands of dollars for these kinds of guarantees.

[/quote]
That seems reasonable.

[/quote]
Yeah, I'm sure Blizzard is going to take the time to authorize this... Maybe they'll charge them $20.00 for the authorization, and they might get 3 customers...

You guys are narrow minded, alot of good can come out of paying for something (even on a monthly basis), and if you enjoy it, why not? I've never been one to be held back from playing an MMORPG because it costs $15.00/month, not eating those big macs actually benefit me. You can also turn that around and sell stuff from whatever you're paying for (services, items, webspace, whatever you're doing) to gain back you're money or even profit.

Personally, I'd rather pay for b.net, as crappy as it is. It would keep the children and alot of morons out and allow you to (god forbid) enjoy yourself and appreciate what you're doing.
March 29, 2004, 4:25 AM
j0k3r
Back on topic, I've never used BNLS, however if I enjoyed it, and good could come out of it, I'd dish out $10/month without blinking an eye.
March 29, 2004, 4:27 AM
Newby
Bah. I have no way of paying for it if I had to pay. :(
March 29, 2004, 4:32 AM
tA-Kane
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52345 date=1080534354][quote author=tA-Kane link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52320 date=1080529405]I would expect support to be quick and free, and include a phone number to call if I have problems.[/quote]So they have to be up 24/7 to answer your problems? What about school? Work? You think your one time payment of $4.99 is really enough for that?[/quote]Not necessarily 24/7, but certainly two or three hours each day.

[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52345 date=1080534354][quote author=tA-Kane link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52320 date=1080529405]I'd want guaranteed uptime, with (at least partial or proportional) money back for downtime.[/quote]Businesses pay thousands of dollars for these kinds of guarantees.[/quote]So?

[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52345 date=1080534354][quote author=tA-Kane link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52320 date=1080529405]It would also be nice if I could be guaranteed that the data sent by BNLS will work with Battle.net (when used correctly, obviously), instead of assuming that it'll work. Such a guarantee would also require a statement from Blizzard, too...[/quote]Yeah, I'm sure Blizzard is going to take the time to authorize this... Maybe they'll charge them $20.00 for the authorization, and they might get 3 customers...[/quote]Yeah, that's why I said "it would be nice". It does seem rather far-fetched. :(

[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52345 date=1080534354]You guys are narrow minded, alot of good can come out of paying for something (even on a monthly basis), and if you enjoy it, why not? I've never been one to be held back from playing an MMORPG because it costs $15.00/month, not eating those big macs actually benefit me. You can also turn that around and sell stuff from whatever you're paying for (services, items, webspace, whatever you're doing) to gain back you're money or even profit.

Personally, I'd rather pay for b.net, as crappy as it is. It would keep the children and alot of morons out and allow you to (god forbid) enjoy yourself and appreciate what you're doing.
[/quote]Maybe I am narrow minded. Maybe not. But I know what I want.

Also, most of this is assuming my current situation... I have no job, so I especially could not afford a monthly payment. If I had a job, I probably would be willing to pay per month.

Personally, I think Battle.net is great being free. But perhaps you should be able to get "premium" services if you pay? A number of excellent premium features would be server-side ban lists with wildcard support, no flood limit when in your op or clan channel, increased maximum number of friends, clans with a maxmimum number of members of about 250, and a couple of other (useless IMO) things I could think of.

And perhaps these BNLS features I'm talking about could be premiums as well? Certainly a web interface could be... I'd be willing to pay $5 right now to not have to worry about what botnet account I'm logged into to access my BNLS account, let alone even need to use botnet.
March 29, 2004, 5:18 AM
dRAgoN
No, however I would pay for somthing else.
March 29, 2004, 8:31 AM
Eternal

[/quote]

I agree with this in principle. However, for a small one-off fee, are you expecting too much? I guess it depends on what you consider to be a small fee. In my view, a small one-off fee might be acceptable, but unless I was paying regularly, or a high amount, I wouldn't expect too much more in terms of support/guarantee of service etc. vL have already provided a free server and the guidelines on how to work with it, the free forum support here is usually good too. Unless they were charging a premium for it, I'd say it's 'good value' for a small one-off.

<shrugs> Guess i'm just an easy going Brit that doesn't expect too much! *goes off to compain about his cup of tea being too hot*
March 29, 2004, 4:07 PM
iago
[quote author=Eternal link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52429 date=1080576456]
vL have already provided a free server and the guidelines on how to work with it, the free forum support here is usually good too.
[/quote]

I'm glad somebody appreciates it :)
March 29, 2004, 4:36 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52431 date=1080578202]
[quote author=Eternal link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52429 date=1080576456]
vL have already provided a free server and the guidelines on how to work with it, the free forum support here is usually good too.
[/quote]

I'm glad somebody appreciates it :)
[/quote]

I try to stay out of these types of conversation, but I think that is the main problem. Nobody appreciates any of the services provided to the public courtesy of vL members.
March 30, 2004, 6:42 AM
MrRaza
[quote author=MrRaza link=board=3;threadid=4380;start=30#msg42489 date=1075848187]
... and thanks Thing, for all your hosting services.
[/quote]

I dunno about you though...
March 30, 2004, 8:16 AM
UserLoser.
Would I pay for BNLS; no.
Would I pay for BNLS source if it was a dollar; no.
Would I use other servers ripped off of BNLS source; no.
March 31, 2004, 1:13 AM
MrRaza
What if they(the one's who ripped off the source) added more functionality, for instance Botnet or other game support.

Edit: What if they actually made it better.
March 31, 2004, 6:46 AM
Null
i dont think this thread has anything to do with the CVS issues , really should keep it that way , seeing how Denial has devoted numerous threads to it already.
March 31, 2004, 8:42 AM
tA-Kane
[quote author=MrRaza link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52807 date=1080715597]What if they(the one's who ripped off the source) added more functionality, for instance Botnet[/quote]BNLS already has botnet support.

[quote author=MrRaza link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52807 date=1080715597]or other game support.[/quote]Having BNLS be able to do checkrevision for non-cd-keyed products would be nice...
March 31, 2004, 4:00 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=MrRaza link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52807 date=1080715597]
What if they(the one's who ripped off the source) added more functionality, for instance Botnet or other game support.

[/quote]

Although, in reality, they had to rip off the code to do just the games that BNLS does. Do you really think that they could add even more games to it? :P
March 31, 2004, 7:57 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52876 date=1080763040]
[quote author=MrRaza link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52807 date=1080715597]

[/quote]

Although, in reality, they had to rip off the code to do just the games that BNLS does. Do you really think that they could add even more games to it? :P
[/quote]

Let alone even understand how to use what they have. ;D
March 31, 2004, 9:06 PM
Adron
[quote author=tA-Kane link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52363 date=1080537512]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=15#msg52345 date=1080534354][quote author=tA-Kane link=board=2;threadid=6043;start=0#msg52320 date=1080529405]I'd want guaranteed uptime, with (at least partial or proportional) money back for downtime.[/quote]Businesses pay thousands of dollars for these kinds of guarantees.[/quote]So?
[/quote]

This here thing is interesting. Do you rather pay $50/month for something that works 28 days out of 30 in a month, or would you prefer to pay $60/month for something that works 28 days out of 30 in a month, but where you get a refund (i.e. $2/day) for those days when it's down?

Guaranteed uptime is just another insurance, and you, the customer, are the one who will end up paying for it...
April 2, 2004, 5:33 PM

Search