Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Help me get a new comp!

AuthorMessageTime
Fr0z3N
I don't feel like spending the time to go out and buy parts then peice it together because I'm very busy with school and friends so I want to see what the prices are to customize one at an online store ie: dell.ca, Remember I am canadian.

I was thinking no moniter, 512 ddr ram 80+ gb hd, win xp, nice AMD, Celeron or Pentuim.

I'm currently on an AMD 700MHz, 6 gig c drive, 256SD memory and a radeon 7200 (*I think*) graphics card.

You can either submit some links I can checkout or acually do it yourself and list the specs and price.
March 27, 2004, 11:12 PM
j0k3r
Where in Canada do you live? I got a computer just like that (2.4ghz) for $998 canadian at a computer store near my house.
March 27, 2004, 11:42 PM
Grok
How much money? Don't say "it depends on the system". We need a rock solid number to squeeze.

Rank your needs:

* Cost
* Performance
* Quality
* Reliability
* Support
* Upgradability
* Warrantee

Without knowing your purchasing values, it is impossible to choose component A over B in each given instance.

You also did not specify:
CD player or burner?
DVD player or burner?
Power Supply wattage?

My personal opinion, and I think Hostile will back me up on this, is to first look for the best Chasis and Power Supply you can afford, that supports ATX and future BTX boards, has all the front-panel connections, extra fans for cooling, and a style you like. As you upgrade your system insides over the years, your case will continue to perform if you emphasize it now.
March 27, 2004, 11:44 PM
Fr0z3N
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#msg52116 date=1080431080]
How much money? Don't say "it depends on the system". We need a rock solid number to squeeze.

Rank your needs:

* Cost
* Performance
* Quality
* Reliability
* Support
* Upgradability
* Warrantee

Without knowing your purchasing values, it is impossible to choose component A over B in each given instance.

You also did not specify:
CD player or burner?
DVD player or burner?
Power Supply wattage?

My personal opinion, and I think Hostile will back me up on this, is to first look for the best Chasis and Power Supply you can afford, that supports ATX and future BTX boards, has all the front-panel connections, extra fans for cooling, and a style you like. As you upgrade your system insides over the years, your case will continue to perform if you emphasize it now.
[/quote]
I have no limit on the cost for now, I'm just looking at prices

- Performance, What exactly do you mean?
- Quality, Good quality of course. I've had my current computer for ~5 years
- Reliability, should be 100% reliable
- Support, I've never needed support on my current comp so, none or least possible
- Upgradability, Everything should be able to be upgraded
- Warrantee, Don't really know

- CD player or burner? Got a nice one, 24x10x40x got it on sale from 100$ to 20$
- DVD player or burner? Not really much point for that when I do mostly everything on my comp
- Power Supply wattage? I'm gunna go with you/hostile. Best power supply and best chasis, my server currently has 7 or 8 fans so I don't know about fans on a normal pc that I restart ~every 1-3 days. Front control panels are nice, also a feature to show the computer temp would be handy.

[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#msg52114 date=1080430945]
Where in Canada do you live? I got a computer just like that (2.4ghz) for $998 canadian at a computer store near my house.
[/quote]

Ontario
March 28, 2004, 12:03 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Fr0z3N link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#msg52122 date=1080432228]
- Reliability, should be 100% reliable
[/quote]
Not going to happen, ever.
March 28, 2004, 12:06 AM
j0k3r
Hmm whereabouts in Ontario, atleast you're in the right province. The store is located in woodbridge.

Also, check out MDG, it's a growing computer chain in Canada, mostly russians who work there. Their prices are pretty good, and they have awesome support (on-site of course).
March 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
Grok
[quote]- Reliability, should be 100% reliable[/quote]
In that case, power supply is the key component. A bad power supply can slowly damage motherboard and your components over time. You can get a $25 power supply and kill off a $2000 system, or you can get an $80 power supply that provides stable voltages and current for years.

Chasis and Power Supply:
Case: I read the case reviews on tomshardware.com, and decided to get his top choice, the WaveMaster from CoolerMaster. It is $140 without power supply and I purchased from mwave.com. http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA19730

P/S: On mwave, they let you add-on Antec brand power supplies, which are very good and I added the 480W model. But I also purchased an Enermax EG465AX power supply as one of tomshardware.com's top choices. If the Antec ever gives me any trouble (and it has not yet, it is very quiet and powers efficiently so far), I can install the Enermax.

For motherboard, I am using ASUS P4P800 Deluxe. There are several versions of the P4P800, you can decide which features you want.

CPU is Pentium 4, 3.06ghz hyperthreading.
RAM is DDR 1GB Kingston, forgot the speed.
March 28, 2004, 12:59 AM
Fr0z3N
That sounds nice, keep me posted

Edit: Mississauga, my mom works in T.O. for Maritime Life Insurance.
March 28, 2004, 2:12 AM
j0k3r
That's not too far... If you want I could give you the address, it's along highway 7.
March 28, 2004, 2:53 AM
Fr0z3N
Sure, I'll check it out
March 28, 2004, 3:14 AM
j0k3r
You have PM.
March 28, 2004, 4:28 AM
Fr0z3N
Whats better, making your own PC or buying a brandname and fucking with it or just buying a brandname?
March 28, 2004, 5:28 AM
j0k3r
Mine's customized, brand name parts, I didn't put it together though. There are some weird things like the mouse and keyboard stay on when the computer is off, but I kill the power bar after the computer is turned off anyways.
March 28, 2004, 1:19 PM
Dante
Hey Fr0z3n buddy,

Custom built computers are usually cheaper then buying from a store, or getting another company to build it for you.
One more thing, Celeron is like a 4 cylinder car, P4 is like a 6 cylinder car.
March 29, 2004, 2:20 AM
Fr0z3N
[quote author=l]ante link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=0#msg52317 date=1080526834]
Hey Fr0z3n buddy,

Custom built computers are usually cheaper then buying from a store, or getting another company to build it for you.
One more thing, Celeron is like a 4 cylinder car, P4 is like a 6 cylinder car.
[/quote]

Celeron is cheaper
I don't like pentiums
Know anything about AMD's?

I currently only use AMD's on my comps.
March 29, 2004, 3:43 AM
hismajesty
I use AMD, go with them. :)

Custom built computers generally are cheaper and have better components since you know what's going into the sytem.

For your graphics card don't go with anything less than a Radeon 9200 Pro, that's what I have and it's able to run any of the currently released games at near perfect level. Those have also dropped in price (about $30) since I bought mine. I'd recommend the Radeon 9600 XP (or maybe it's 9600 Pro..not sure) anyway, that provides the best bang for your buck.

Make sure not to get crappy components either, spend a little bit more and it will save frustration later.
March 29, 2004, 10:12 AM
Fr0z3N
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=2;threadid=6026;start=15#msg52402 date=1080555154]
I use AMD, go with them. :)

Custom built computers generally are cheaper and have better components since you know what's going into the sytem.

For your graphics card don't go with anything less than a Radeon 9200 Pro, that's what I have and it's able to run any of the currently released games at near perfect level. Those have also dropped in price (about $30) since I bought mine. I'd recommend the Radeon 9600 XP (or maybe it's 9600 Pro..not sure) anyway, that provides the best bang for your buck.

Make sure not to get crappy components either, spend a little bit more and it will save frustration later.
[/quote]

Sounds good, right now my comp cant run games for beens.
March 29, 2004, 12:59 PM
j0k3r
I saw an ad in the newspaper for a $450 computer from DELL, looked like a decent system for that much, could use misc. upgrades to be real good though. For that price, I'd dish out a couple hundred more to supe it up.
March 29, 2004, 11:25 PM
Fr0z3N
Yeah I saw that, I don't think its that good and I think it was in US $. Not sure.
March 30, 2004, 12:21 AM
j0k3r
For $450 it was pretty damn good, a celeron too. It was Canadian, I'm 99% sure.
March 30, 2004, 12:39 PM
Fr0z3N
I checked Dell.ca and its pretty expensive but I think it includes monitor and shit and I dont know how to get them off.
March 30, 2004, 5:28 PM

Search