Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Test Driven Development - TDD

AuthorMessageTime
iago
My friend emailed this to me, hopefully somebody here can help him out:
------------------------------------
Ok, so I admit, until yesterday I had never even hear the bloody term before, but now at my work their getting me started on unit testing, and I'm supposed to check out some stuff on TDD.

There's all sorts of stuff littered all over the internet about how to start using the TDD approach with new projects, but nothing on applying principles of TDD to currently developed projects.

This is a problem, because I need to get some research on that. In your travels have you, or anyone that you know of (maybe the guys at Valhalla Legends?) come across any documentation on ideas for applying TDD to currently developed projects?

Thanks for the help!
March 26, 2004, 8:38 PM
Adron
Does he want to apply it to new parts or to the entire project? To apply it to existing parts, the only idea I can see is to simply design tests for it?
March 26, 2004, 8:41 PM
iago
I'm not really sure, I'll direct him to come here and answer himself :)
March 26, 2004, 8:52 PM
St0rm.iD
A lot of these things...TDD, XP (Xtreme Programming), UML, and design patters are almost pure hype. TDD is great in theory, but I've never gotten it to work well in practice. If it can help you, great, but don't take it too seriously.
March 29, 2004, 2:14 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=5;threadid=6009;start=0#msg52315 date=1080526469]
A lot of these things...TDD, XP (Xtreme Programming), UML, and design patters are almost pure hype. TDD is great in theory, but I've never gotten it to work well in practice. If it can help you, great, but don't take it too seriously.
[/quote]

I like to use UML, and I think design patterns, when used properly, are more than hype. TDD and XP might be, because I don't know much about them. It's almost like saying OOP, and Procedural programming practice are all hype as well.
March 29, 2004, 4:10 AM
St0rm.iD
I've just seen too many open source Java programs produce stupid UML diagrams and no code.
March 29, 2004, 9:19 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=5;threadid=6009;start=0#msg52465 date=1080595158]
I've just seen too many open source Java programs produce stupid UML diagrams and no code.
[/quote]

Now that you say it like that I will agree with you. I think that's more the developers fault than the tool though.
March 29, 2004, 10:07 PM
KrAzY_NuK
I was the one looking for the TDD stuff, but I've sorta figured out what i'm doing.

I was supposed to research the idea of TDD and see if there was any way to apply it to currently developed code for testing purposes.

I think i've sorted out the way that I'm going to do the testing though
March 30, 2004, 9:47 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=5;threadid=6009;start=0#msg52465 date=1080595158]
[/quote]

I've found UML to be a very useful tool. Of course, I am not a Java programmer. :-P
March 30, 2004, 11:58 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=5;threadid=6009;start=0#msg52754 date=1080691088]
[/quote]

I've found UML to be a very useful tool. Of course, I am not a Java programmer. :-P
[/quote]

UML is a modeling language completely independent of Java, so what does being a Java programmer have anything to do with it. Besides C# is just a Java rip-off so it would be just as beneficial to you as it is to me. :P

Edit: Please excuse the sarcasm, I just got why you included being a Java programmer.
March 31, 2004, 12:01 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=5;threadid=6009;start=0#msg52756 date=1080691291]
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=5;threadid=6009;start=0#msg52754 date=1080691088]
[/quote]

[/quote]

UML is a modeling language completely independent of Java, so what does being a Java programmer have anything to do with it. Besides C# is just a Java rip-off so it would be just as beneficial to you as it is to me. :P

Edit: Please excuse the sarcasm, I just got why you included being a Java programmer.
[/quote]

Hehe, no problem. For others, the remark was included because of St0rm's comment, about Java programmers who hype UML but don't get anything done :)

I would estimate that modelling my forum design in UML saved me about 65% of the work that I would have done otherwise. It is still incomplete, because I've been working on other projects, but the high-level design was extremely beneficial.
March 31, 2004, 1:57 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=5;threadid=6009;start=0#msg52777 date=1080698228]
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=5;threadid=6009;start=0#msg52756 date=1080691291]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hehe, no problem. For others, the remark was included because of St0rm's comment, about Java programmers who hype UML but don't get anything done :)

I would estimate that modelling my forum design in UML saved me about 65% of the work that I would have done otherwise. It is still incomplete, because I've been working on other projects, but the high-level design was extremely beneficial.
[/quote]

Finaly I can agree with you on something! ;D I think UML is an excellent tool for mapping out the overall layout of a program.
March 31, 2004, 2:12 AM

Search