Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Microsoft Office 2003/XP

AuthorMessageTime
hismajesty
I have 2003 and am thinking about installing XP, but I was wondering if 2003 was better than XP. Post your opinions of each with pros/cons please.
March 17, 2004, 10:59 AM
Yoni
I have 2000 and am thinking about installing XP, but I was wondering if 2000 was better than XP. Post your opinions of each with pros/cons please.
March 17, 2004, 1:41 PM
iago
Yoni's has been done to death and should be moved to the stupid argument forum
March 17, 2004, 2:01 PM
Thing
I don't understand peoples compulsion to keep upgrading their Microsoft Office Suite.
What about the new features to you just have to have? I get along just fine
with a simple text editor. If I need to do a pdf or a spread sheet I crank up OO.
March 17, 2004, 2:27 PM
iago
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=5844;start=0#msg50030 date=1079533661]
I don't understand peoples compulsion to keep upgrading their Microsoft Office Suite.
What about the new features to you just have to have? I get along just fine
with a simple text editor. If I need to do a pdf or a spread sheet I crank up OO.
[/quote]

yes, vi + oo = my office suite. If I need to edit a file anywhere, I open a terminal and vi it. gogo vi! :)
March 17, 2004, 3:12 PM
Myndfyr
I really like Office 2003. Overall, it just looks nicer; the voice recognition is slightly better for me (but it may just be that I'm on a better computer); I'm not sure if they've tweaked it at all.

I can't think of any features introduced that are particuarly compelling, but if you like eye candy, go for Office 2k3. :)

[edit] I lied. Outlook 2003 is far superior to 2002, particularly with 1.) the junk mail filter, 2.) the email view in general, and 3.) the side-by-side calendar views. I didn't like the e-mail view initially, but it is grown on me rather quickly. :)
March 18, 2004, 2:27 AM
Skywing
Does it fix the really horrible lockup / not-retrieving-new-mail-until-you-restart-it bugs that Outlook XP has when losing your Internet connection?
March 18, 2004, 7:07 AM
Kp
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=5844;start=0#msg50193 date=1079576848][edit] I lied. Outlook 2003 is far superior to 2002, particularly with 1.) the junk mail filter, 2.) the email view in general, and 3.) the side-by-side calendar views. I didn't like the e-mail view initially, but it is grown on me rather quickly. :)[/quote]

Have they improved its capability to relay viruses any? One of my biggest concerns with any installation of Outlook is insufficient potential to rapidly propagate e-mail virii. All that scripting makes it pretty easy, but some virii still manage not to spread properly.
March 18, 2004, 5:20 PM
Stealth
[quote author=Kp link=board=2;threadid=5844;start=0#msg50244 date=1079630440]
Have they improved its capability to relay viruses any? One of my biggest concerns with any installation of Outlook is insufficient potential to rapidly propagate e-mail virii. All that scripting makes it pretty easy, but some virii still manage not to spread properly.
[/quote]

Indeed, the "w32.NotSoBig.F@mm" virus was having some trouble propagating due to Outlook's shoddy virus redistribution system. I was very disappointed.
March 18, 2004, 7:53 PM
Yoni
I don't use Outlook and voice recognition. I use just Word and occasionally Excel. Should I upgrade to XP?
March 18, 2004, 8:13 PM
iago
I was reading somewhere that somebody tried running some version of netsky on WINE and it only sent out blank emails. Apparently, he was very disappointed and wanted to report this bug to either the virus author or the WINE author.
March 18, 2004, 8:14 PM
Hostile
Office 2003 is far better then 2000/XP. As MyndFyre stated yes the overall appearance is much nicer, but the layout is for many features as well. Outlook, more so then anything received the most improvements out of the Office System. It has a more organized feel, no annoying features included, and its filters and worm/virus protection are much much better. Apon noticing a known virus, it catches, edits the email for no malicious content (including attachments) and notifies you put a header on the email of what happens, ect.

Although the argument on wether or not its worth -paying- for the upgrade, I think most of you can get it "cheap" one way or anouther, and in that case its very much worth it. Too bad for most of you, disregarded my preaching to attend Microsoft Office * Launch events and get your free retail software gifts. Many other Office related events also provide free full versions, what more can you ask considering they're all free events too?

laurion: Be more observant, on top of not making sense we're talking about productivity suites, not operating systems.
March 19, 2004, 1:06 AM

Search