Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Java Programming | coding for PDAs

AuthorMessageTime
cipher
Ever since the College Board changed their AP exam over to Java I have been trying to find something I can actually use my Java knowledge for. I am curious to know if anyone else here has done any development for mobile devices, and am also curious to know if any of you have a Zaurus ;) Lately I've been trying to make a small game using EWE (www.ewesoft.com), which seems very portable and relatively well developed from what I've seen. Also, any resources that perhaps I haven't found using google would be nice or any experiences with development for mobile devices.
-cipher
March 12, 2004, 6:57 PM
St0rm.iD
Java is a great language for writing network programs.
March 12, 2004, 9:26 PM
K
I have done some J2ME development for my nokia phone. The nokia SDK is free to download and integrates with Borland JBuilder on both Windows and Linux.
March 12, 2004, 10:59 PM
DaRk-FeAnOr
I am probably taking the computer science AP (in java) next year... or possibly senior year. But I will be taking it.
March 17, 2004, 1:42 AM
Hostile
I've also done programming on my Nokia phone, as K said, J2ME will suit you better then third party tools as it then wouldn't require the users to have less popular things like the EWE VM and Launcher. :P
March 18, 2004, 8:51 PM
cipher
I looked into that J2ME, looks pretty awesome--emulating the phones/mobile devices was a really neat thing that caught my attention right away ;) Now if I could get it to integrate nicely with my Eclipse (I read about EclipseME or something that does, but have heard confliciting things), it'd be perfect. For EWE I ended up writing some bash scripts to handle compilation and such, but I'm not quite sure how it'd work with J2ME. Thanks for the info.

edit:
I ended up finding a lot of useful resources for learning how to write stuff using the J2ME API, surprisingly (perhaps just to me) from IBM: ibm search j2me
I hope if anyone else starts to develop using J2ME those resources will be as helpful to he or she as they were to me.
March 20, 2004, 3:10 AM
K
I have had endless trouble getting the Nokia SDK to integrate / compile with JBuilder X on Windows (XP/2003); something to do with the PATH value for the java compiler. Eventually I gave up and installed them both on my linux partition.
March 20, 2004, 7:29 PM

Search