Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Anyone here ever midified Sc?

AuthorMessageTime
OuTLawZGoSu
I'm talkin about the grafix and layout.

I did it on the the Broodwar loading screen.

If you got some stuff you goto showoff about this, Post it.

( I'll post mine when I get home)

March 11, 2004, 4:43 PM
iago
I've always left the Starcraft sound filed in their default, I don't think it's necessary to turn them into midi.
March 11, 2004, 4:45 PM
OuTLawZGoSu
Modifying stuff is fun.
I would of made the battle.net layout into a Clan OuTLawZ layout, but blizzard made some antiedit code or something. Thats what people told me on Campagn Creations. The only thing I can actualy modify is the damn Demo. THE DEMO! Wtf am I supposed to do with that. If anyone actualy cared about playing the demo, I would proably work on that.

But oh well.
March 11, 2004, 4:53 PM
iago
My friend once starting working on inserting images from Starcraft Beta into the real game, but either gave up or something came up or something.
March 11, 2004, 5:41 PM
OuTLawZGoSu
This is what I was working on.

[img]http://www.wolfness.com/upload/2paccraft.jpg[/img]

Not the Clan OuTLawZ layout but something else.
March 12, 2004, 3:53 AM
Spht
I remade the in-game panel so it doesn't take up so much space...

[img]http://www.valhallalegends.com/spht/images/starcraft_panel.gif[/img]

Changing the load screen seems kind of pointless.
March 12, 2004, 7:03 PM
iago
https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=415;start=0

That's not quite the same thing, but it's still "midifying" starcraft.
March 12, 2004, 7:16 PM
Spht
[quote author=iago link=board=35;threadid=5728;start=0#msg49075 date=1079118996]
https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=415;start=0

That's not quite the same thing, but it's still "midifying" starcraft.
[/quote]

I think we're on the topic of changing graphics. Those screen shots are fairly old.
March 12, 2004, 7:22 PM
OuTLawZGoSu
Spht , how did you change the in-game graphics? I tryed but, I couldn't get it to work.

Did you do that when you had sc 1.9b or something?
March 13, 2004, 4:45 AM
Hostile
lol, why would that matter. Even if that part -was- different, if he had made in a previous version, when the newer version had came out he would have had to update it. You need a lesson in programming logic (or common sense for that matter).
March 13, 2004, 7:49 AM
warz
It'd be neat to see a 101 class on how to edit starcraft graphics.
March 13, 2004, 6:50 PM
OuTLawZGoSu
[quote author=Hostile link=board=35;threadid=5728;start=0#msg49180 date=1079164164]
lol, why would that matter. Even if that part -was- different, if he had made in a previous version, when the newer version had came out he would have had to update it. You need a lesson in programming logic (or common sense for that matter).
[/quote]

Eh, ye I figured that. So if it was altered while having tge 1.10 patch, is there anyway he might wanna share that knowledge wit others?
*Cough* Me
March 14, 2004, 1:03 AM
OuTLawZGoSu
[quote author=Hostile link=board=35;threadid=5728;start=0#msg49180 date=1079164164]
lol, why would that matter. Even if that part -was- different[/quote]

I finaly found out why you said that. Before, I was compiling the mpq wrong thus getting an error. Then asked on Campaign Creations, and they told me that blizzard put in some code that prevented grafix editing. Yesturday, I asked around and I found out the right way to compile. I asked if Spht had sc1.9b couse they told me the code was implemented in 1.10. About the "lesson in programming logic", I wasnt sure if a new patch Replaces the exe or puts in the new code in the current exe. Now I know whats B.net .exe in the Starcraft directory is used for.

Anyway, now that I found out how to do this the right way, Ima post more often here.
March 15, 2004, 4:44 PM
iago
[quote author=OuTLawZGoSu link=board=35;threadid=5728;start=0#msg49512 date=1079369064]

I finaly found out why you said that. Before, I was compiling the mpq wrong thus getting an error. Then asked on Campaign Creations, and they told me that blizzard put in some code that prevented grafix editing. Yesturday, I asked around and I found out the right way to compile. I asked if Spht had sc1.9b couse they told me the code was implemented in 1.10. About the "lesson in programming logic", I wasnt sure if a new patch Replaces the exe or puts in the new code in the current exe. Now I know whats B.net .exe in the Starcraft directory is used for.

Anyway, now that I found out how to do this the right way, Ima post more often here.
[/quote]

And you aren't going to share this right way? :(
March 15, 2004, 5:52 PM
Spht
[quote author=OuTLawZGoSu link=board=35;threadid=5728;start=0#msg49512 date=1079369064]

[/quote]

Not really sure what you're saying, but the screen shot was taken with version 1.10. Of course since 1.09b I had to update the patching code minorly, but I never ran into any trouble with the "prevented grafix editing" you're talking about.
March 15, 2004, 6:55 PM
Soul Taker
How's this fit into "Random real life stuff."?
March 16, 2004, 12:29 AM
OuTLawZGoSu
It's random stuff. I dono, I dont think it would if into any other topics.

Note: Please stay on the topic, couse I dont want this thead to be closed or Trashed.
March 16, 2004, 4:43 PM
iago
[quote author=OuTLawZGoSu link=board=35;threadid=5728;start=15#msg49773 date=1079455389]
It's random stuff. I dono, I dont think it would if into any other topics.

Note: Please stay on the topic, couse I dont want this thead to be closed or Trashed.

[/quote]

This thread would have fit into "general" better..
March 16, 2004, 5:47 PM
St0rm.iD
Can't you just hax the mpq to do this...?
March 17, 2004, 2:48 AM
MesiaH
thats basically what he did, grabbed the image(s) from the mpq, edited them, and recompiled the mpq.. You can do this with alot of games, i found this thing called dragon unpacker or something, it has a list of all cab-like files, mpq's, etc. Very usefull, say you play a first person shooter, and you have a gun that uses a scope, you can edit that image so the blackness is gone, and you have a fully transparent image, seeing everything..
March 17, 2004, 2:56 AM
OuTLawZGoSu
Some more images I modified:

Battle.net Chat Environment.

[img]http://www.wolfness.com/upload/2paccraft.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wolfness.com/upload/Login.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wolfness.com/upload/bnetchat.jpg[/img]

In-Game:

[img]http://www.wolfness.com/upload/tgame.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wolfness.com/upload/pgame.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wolfness.com/upload/zgame.jpg[/img]

They are not done yet. I just... can't think of any better grafix :/
March 17, 2004, 3:52 AM
Spht
I never tried modifying the MPQ pictures before-hand, looks like it'd be pain to apply/deapply the images, having to recompile the MPQ every time.

I found it better to dynamically load pictures into memory on run, which also allows you to do things like changing position to where they're drawn or switching pictures through /commands while in chat.
March 17, 2004, 7:07 PM
OuTLawZGoSu
You dont have to recompile the entire mpq. Make a new mpq, put only the images you want changed, load mpq through mpqdraft.

[code]
found it better to dynamically load pictures into memory on run, which also allows you to do things like changing position to where they're drawn or switching pictures through /commands while in chat.
[/code]

Seems too complicated for me to make :/

Oh well.

I'll post some more pics soon.
March 18, 2004, 2:38 AM
Myndfyr
In the bottom 3 pictures, what's different?
March 18, 2004, 8:48 AM
iago
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=5728;start=15#msg50230 date=1079599690]
In the bottom 3 pictures, what's different?
[/quote]

I was wondering that myself..
March 18, 2004, 3:57 PM
j0k3r
Well look at Spht's picture of his in-game menu and such, he says he remade it so it doesn't take up so much space, and in Outlaws' pictures it's even smaller, so I'd assume he just took off the extra graphics that took up room on the screen.

It looks like in the Zerg screenshot there's some graphics missing and the Protoss one just looks ugly.
March 18, 2004, 4:16 PM
iago
ah, it looks like he unrounded some corners and took away some of the transparencies.
March 18, 2004, 5:32 PM
OuTLawZGoSu
Thats exactly what I did.
If anyone wanna make a better background then mine, dont hesitate to post the pic here. I'm not so good at grfx thats why my panels look like shit.
March 19, 2004, 12:04 AM
j0k3r
I really like the organization that Spht's layout applies, although I feel it takes away from the overall feel of being that race (protoss doesn't have circuits everywhere, zerg doesn't have organic matter everywhere).

[edit]And I'm not too fond of the red :-\[/edit]
March 19, 2004, 12:25 AM
Spht
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=5728;start=15#msg50325 date=1079655928]
although I feel it takes away from the overall feel of being that race
[/quote]

I don't experience feelings playing different races on Starcraft, but that sounds interesting. Since the race that you are when you begin tends to change throughout the game, panel uniqueness is faily unnecessary, which is why I eliminated that inaccuracy. And also because the fanciness of the default panels are distracting.
March 19, 2004, 12:50 AM
OuTLawZGoSu
[quote author=Spht link=board=2;threadid=5728;start=15#msg50332 date=1079657428]
And also because the fanciness of the default panels are distracting.
[/quote]

Thats true. Im probably gonna make the same thing Spht did. Probably a different layout though.
March 19, 2004, 4:40 PM

Search