Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Korean text

AuthorMessageTime
minzliu
Hi, being able to translate korean to english is something many have been wanting to do for ages, i was thinking of submitting the korean text to a online translater and returning that info to b.net, this should work but i got a big problem..

vb and it's textboxes dun seem to be able to display korean characters, so does anyone know how i could obtain or display this text?

thx
March 11, 2004, 12:04 PM
CrAz3D
Change the font?...that'd be my best guess.
March 11, 2004, 3:12 PM
o.OV
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Programming/Q_20547423.html
March 11, 2004, 5:11 PM
LoRd
[quote author=minzliu link=board=17;threadid=5726;start=0#msg48895 date=1079006677]
Hi, being able to translate korean to english is something many have been wanting to do for ages, i was thinking of submitting the korean text to a online translater and returning that info to b.net, this should work but i got a big problem..

vb and it's textboxes dun seem to be able to display korean characters, so does anyone know how i could obtain or display this text?

thx
[/quote]

Use a RichTextBox and a font that supports the characters you need.
March 11, 2004, 7:29 PM
minzliu
thx o.OV that helped alot
March 12, 2004, 5:02 AM
Gangz
Regardless of what you do.. you will never be able to translate from korean to english properly... Words will get mixed up when used in different ways.. Im guessing you speak korean so you know as well as i do that it does not translate very well
March 12, 2004, 6:36 AM
DrivE
[quote author=minzliu link=board=17;threadid=5726;start=0#msg48895 date=1079006677]
i was thinking of submitting the korean text to a online translater and returning that info to b.net, this should work
[/quote]

Totally bad assumption. The "online translators" that you find for free in random places are shit. If you have ever taken a foreign language course you will know that online translators are fairly good for finding out specific words. However, if you had taken such a course you would have had a class mate who attempted to plagarize an entire assignment with it, and failed miserably. The problem being structures from language to language are very different. For example, in Spanish, if you were trying to say "I am hungry" you would say "Tengo hambre." However, in MOST online translators "I am hungry" would be translated as "Yo soy hombre" (or something to that effect). This is just an example but I hope it helps to prove my point. Trying to translate mass amounts of information on a free online translator would be pointless, as you would never get the correct structure and in many cases, structure that isn't even close to understandable.
March 12, 2004, 9:57 PM
Myndfyr
Actually, even some of the free translators I have found have been getting better at translating full phrases, at least in Spanish. I would say 90% of the time I can find a translator that would correctly translate "I am hungry" into Spanish.
March 12, 2004, 10:21 PM
LoRd
[quote author=o.OV link=board=17;threadid=5726;start=0#msg49121 date=1079134838]
A vague translation is better then none.
[/quote]

That's actually up to the programmer, IMO, no code is better than buggy code, same for translations.
March 13, 2004, 12:04 AM
Eli_1
[quote author=LoRd[nK] link=board=17;threadid=5726;start=0#msg49122 date=1079136298]
[quote author=o.OV link=board=17;threadid=5726;start=0#msg49121 date=1079134838]
[/quote]

That's actually up to the programmer, IMO, no code is better than buggy code, same for translations.
[/quote]

Well, buggy code can be tackled and fixed over time, while buggy code is bad, it's still a starting point.

Same with a vague translation, it's a good place to start...
March 13, 2004, 12:29 AM
Adron
[quote author=LoRd[nK] link=board=17;threadid=5726;start=0#msg49122 date=1079136298]
[/quote]

[/quote]

In many cases a vague translation is better than none. I can understand translations from spanish into lousy english pretty ok, but I can't understand spanish much at all.
March 13, 2004, 12:29 AM
Vision
I understand that you are trying to translate the korean text to english, most people on battle.net think that when they see a bunch of people talking in ascii characters, they seem to think thats korean.... That isn't Korean text that is just what is returned to are screen because the comp. cant understand it... so you have to know the actual Korean text. For example 'jade kwon getgow gowon 18 nom' which stands for attack the 12 with mass drop.... So its really hard to actually translate the text... Also most online translators wouldn't work because if you think about it in most different languages words are rearranged in spanish the adjetive comes after the noun for instance 'The Computer Dirty', Instead of ' The Dirty Computer'.
March 15, 2004, 7:33 PM
Eli_1
[quote author=Vision link=board=17;threadid=5726;start=0#msg49552 date=1079379194]
Also most online translators wouldn't work because if you think about it in most different languages words are rearranged in spanish the adjetive comes after the noun for instance 'The Computer Dirty', Instead of ' The Dirty Computer'.
[/quote]

That's how we got into the "vague translation" conversation...
March 15, 2004, 8:24 PM

Search