Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Java Programming | class LookAndFeel

AuthorMessageTime
touchstone
hi, i got a class UIManager . it has a method

getSystemLookAndFeelClassName() . java docs says " Returns the name of the LookAndFeel class that implements the native systems look and feel if there is one, otherwise the name of the default cross platform LookAndFeel class "

i dont understand two words from it.
one is native systems . is it local system ?

and the other is cross platform . what does cross platform means ?

another question : there are many times in API i found a phrase " deprecated ". what does deprecation means ?
March 8, 2004, 5:18 PM
synth
[quote author=touchstone link=board=34;threadid=5667;start=0#msg48346 date=1078766338]
another question : there are many times in API i found a phrase " deprecated ". what does deprecation means ?
[/quote]

I googled "definition:deprecated" and came up with this:

[quote]
In computer programming, a deprecated language entity is one that is tolerated or supported but not recommended.
[/quote]

The above is from http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/gDefinition/0,294236,sid41_gci211934,00.html
March 8, 2004, 5:52 PM
iago
That is correct for depricated - it's no longer supported, but might still work. It's recommended that you avoid those.

Native System would be, for example, Windows XP, Mac OS x, Linux, etc. It's an operating system.

Cross platform means that it will work on *any* platform, windows, mac, linux, etc.

You can probably find all this out at www.dictionary.com.
March 8, 2004, 6:05 PM
touchstone
" That is correct for depricated - it's no longer supported, but might still work. It's recommended that you avoid those ....."

most of the methods are deprecated. is it for different java versions ? so that newer versions dont recomend older ones.
March 8, 2004, 6:13 PM
iago
Usually as part of the deprecated text, it'll say "this function has been deprecated. Use _____ instead"
March 8, 2004, 6:54 PM
crashtestdummy
not any platform but more than one.
"The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (27 SEP 03)"
cross-platform

<software, hardware> A term that describes a language,
software application or hardware device that works on more
than one system platform (e.g. Unix, Microsoft Windows,
Macintosh). E.g. Netscape Navigator, Java.

(1998-02-24)
March 8, 2004, 9:34 PM

Search