Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Gaming Discussion | D2 in Window Mode vs Full Screen

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
This blows me away... Thought someone should know about it :P

Running diablo 2 in full screen mode in act5 I have about 40fps.
Running diablo 2 in window mode in act5 I have about 220fps.

I'm sure you guys knew about this, why is it like this? If someone is interested in it then just ask I'll post up how to do it.
March 7, 2004, 1:49 AM
K
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=0#msg47996 date=1078624182]
This blows me away... Thought someone should know about it :P

Running diablo 2 in full screen mode in act5 I have about 40fps.
Running diablo 2 in window mode in act5 I have about 220fps.

I'm sure you guys knew about this, why is it like this? If someone is interested in it then just ask I'll post up how to do it.
[/quote]

I always play in windowed mode so I can talk on AIM/ listen to iTunes without Alt+Tabbing. Plus I get weird graphics problems full screen.
March 7, 2004, 3:01 AM
Skywing
Me too. I even went so far as to write a program to let me play games in windowed mode if they weren't designed to allow it.

I have nVIDIA to thank for this, since they seem unable to write drivers that work properly in fullscreen (after something doesn't clean up DirectX properly in fullscreen, the drivers seem to get confused into thinking that nothing should be allowed to switch video modes anymore).
March 7, 2004, 3:23 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=Skywing link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=0#msg48017 date=1078629829]
I have nVIDIA to thank for this, since they seem unable to write drivers that work properly in fullscreen (after something doesn't clean up DirectX properly in fullscreen, the drivers seem to get confused into thinking that nothing should be allowed to switch video modes anymore).
[/quote]

Ah I remember having that problem on my old card which I had for a couple years, I also remember fixing it once... just once.

Or maybe I didn't just fix it once, I remember being able to fix one of the problems by starting the game back up and exiting properly, maybe that was it?

GoGo ATI.
March 7, 2004, 4:15 AM
Soul Taker
Might be because you can't use the 3d perspective in windowed mode.
March 7, 2004, 6:02 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=0#msg48031 date=1078639374]
Might be because you can't use the 3d perspective in windowed mode.
[/quote]
Elaborate?
March 7, 2004, 1:50 PM
Soul Taker
Well when you run the video test program, you can select to run D2 with 2d or 3d settings. If you choose 3d, in full-screen mode you can use the 3d perspective, which is much better looking. In windowed mode, it doesn't allow you to use 3d perspective (it's grayed out in the options if you look).
March 8, 2004, 11:38 AM
iago
That's true, in fullscreen go to menu (esc)/video options and turn off perspective. I get MUCH better performance with that off.
March 8, 2004, 3:21 PM
Etheran
[quote author=Skywing link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=0#msg48017 date=1078629829]
Me too. I even went so far as to write a program to let me play games in windowed mode if they weren't designed to allow it.

[/quote] Can you send me that program?
March 8, 2004, 9:35 PM
Skywing
Try clicking on the link I helpfully provided in my post...
March 8, 2004, 9:49 PM
j0k3r
Skywing -- As far as I can tell it only supports starcraft/diablo/warcraft ii, not diablo ii or warcraft iii.

I can upload it somewhere, and create a simpler version of the 'how to'
file (the current file contains alot of junk if you just want to window it). There are also lots of other options you can use (like go straight to the bnet log in screen), you'll have to look through the 'how-to' file for that though.
March 9, 2004, 2:22 PM
iago
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=0#msg48525 date=1078842142]
Skywing -- As far as I can tell it only supports starcraft/diablo/warcraft ii, not diablo ii or warcraft iii.

file (the current file contains alot of junk if you just want to window it). There are also lots of other options you can use (like go straight to the bnet log in screen), you'll have to look through the 'how-to' file for that though.
[/quote]

I would imagine that, when he wrote it, he didn't care about games that could natively fun in windowed mode.
March 9, 2004, 2:49 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=0#msg48527 date=1078843785]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=0#msg48525 date=1078842142]

[/quote]

I would imagine that, when he wrote it, he didn't care about games that could natively fun in windowed mode.
[/quote]
What?

Since he didn't write it someone else did, and everyone I know that plays D2 wants to get their hands on it...
March 9, 2004, 11:09 PM
j0k3r
As promised, here's the file (http://www.clanpc.net/dw-d2loader.zip), I found no virus but you might wanna take the 2 seconds to scan anyways.

Also, don't need the CD to play with this :), there's a file in the zip that tells you what you need to do for everything.

I'll do the 'how-to' later.
March 9, 2004, 11:52 PM
UserLoser.
Or you could use the "-w" command-line on Game.exe
March 10, 2004, 1:29 AM
j0k3r
Does that work without this program?
March 10, 2004, 2:01 AM
UserLoser.
Yes, you don't need any program except for Diablo II
March 10, 2004, 2:02 AM
j0k3r
Ah, should've bothered to try that.

Anyways, I'm liking this nontheless, you can skip straight to the bnet log on screen and don't need cd to play.
March 10, 2004, 3:17 AM
Skywing
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=15#msg48664 date=1078888664]

Anyways, I'm liking this nontheless, you can skip straight to the bnet log on screen and don't need cd to play.
[/quote]
That's what -skiptobnet does with game.exe.
March 10, 2004, 4:24 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
Is there a way to run Warcraft 3: TFT in window mode with out a program?
March 10, 2004, 7:22 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=Skywing link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=15#msg48681 date=1078892671]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=15#msg48664 date=1078888664]

[/quote]
That's what -skiptobnet does with game.exe.
[/quote]
This could have been brought to my attention sooner >:( The usefulness of this program is deteriorating by the reply... And if you tell me you can play D2 without the CD without the program I'll...

Rabid, adding -w doesn't seem to do anything in War3, maybe someone here will know something else about it though.
March 10, 2004, 12:16 PM
Soul Taker
It's -window for War3. And you can play D2 without the CD if you make an iso, which I do with all games since my CD-ROMs are so damn loud.
March 11, 2004, 1:34 PM
Naem
Skywing, I haven't gotten your program to run with Gunbound, Diablo II, or Half-Life 2. Gunbound won't run (presumably a conflict with its crude anti-hack software), HL2 runs fullscreen, and Diablo crashes before any GUI pops up.
March 12, 2004, 12:00 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=Naem link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=15#msg48983 date=1079049625]
Skywing, I haven't gotten your program to run with Gunbound, Diablo II, or Half-Life 2. Gunbound won't run (presumably a conflict with its crude anti-hack software), HL2 runs fullscreen, and Diablo crashes before any GUI pops up.
[/quote]
That is because it was not designed for those games, read the readme.
March 12, 2004, 1:06 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Naem link=board=3;threadid=5637;start=15#msg48983 date=1079049625]
[/quote]
Generally you shouldn't use it with stuff that already natively supports windowed mode, because not all games completely disable their windowed mode support code in fullscreen mode, and it may interfere with patches made by DxWnd. Also, of course, it probably won't do much/anything with OpenGL games.
March 12, 2004, 1:32 AM
Naem
Ah. Those are the only fullscreen games I have, short of GTA vice city which I haven't tried the program with yet. And all those programs use DirectX/D3D. I know HL2 comes with windowed mode and so does D2 but I just wanted to test the program.

Joker, it was my understanding that the "Generic Windowed Patcher" attempted to window any dx game, not just those dictated in the readme.
March 13, 2004, 12:45 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
I used the -window command for war3 but it is really slow when playing the game, than if i play full screen. Diablo II works fine. Any ideas why its so slow?
March 13, 2004, 2:20 PM

Search