Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | *Sniff* Karma

AuthorMessageTime
K
The loss of the forum karma system is hazardous to my health. I no longer have the ability to express my frustration with people who dig up old threads or leave useless "me too" replies. Nor do I have the ability to express my gratitude to those who help answer a question or exercise good sense.

I realize it was a problem, but not everyone was abusing it. I had more than four times more positive karma than negative, and I never requested karma or tried to trick anyone into giving it to me -- I never even acknowledged it's existence. I think that reflected well on my presence in the forums, even though compared to some I have a low post count -- in essense a "quality over quantity" indicator.

I'm saying this now because I'm fairly sure the karma is never coming back, and I'm not trying to bring it back. I just wanted to emphasize that the problem is not with the system, it's with the members of the system.

$0.02
March 6, 2004, 8:51 PM
iago
*puts on spokesperson's hat*

We're currently discussing re-implementing Karma in a different way, perhaps in a read-only fashion (ie, only members can give +/- karma).

We almost unanimously decided that it was better for the community to get rid of it in the interim.

Sorry for any problems they may have caused.
- Valhalla's Legends.
March 6, 2004, 10:25 PM
Grok
Yup. It's a shame that the actions of a very few people caused this reaction.
March 7, 2004, 2:39 AM
Myndfyr
I definitely agree. I have of late turned to shooting myself in the foot with a beebee gun several times daily to let out the frustration.
March 7, 2004, 3:08 AM
DrivE
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=5632;start=0#msg48004 date=1078627140]
[/quote]

Why not just permanently ban the few?
March 7, 2004, 7:27 PM
Adron
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=5632;start=0#msg48113 date=1078687630]
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=5632;start=0#msg48004 date=1078627140]
[/quote]

Why not just permanently ban the few?
[/quote]

I did suggest that. But it's about probabilities - even if we ban them now, chances are someone will pop up again later and abuse it. It was deemed better to just remove gu^H^Hkarma entirely.
March 7, 2004, 7:31 PM
DrivE
Couldn't you just give it a zero tolerance policy, and warn in the disclaimer that abuse of the system will result in an instant and binding ban?
March 7, 2004, 7:36 PM
Adron
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=5632;start=0#msg48124 date=1078688196]
Couldn't you just give it a zero tolerance policy, and warn in the disclaimer that abuse of the system will result in an instant and binding ban?
[/quote]

It would mean work to us. And it's annoying to have to dig into finding where the script that altered karma came from.
March 8, 2004, 1:52 AM
crashtestdummy
Who used it first?
March 8, 2004, 1:59 AM
iago
UserLoser, but it doesn't matter. Somebody was bound to do it eventually.
March 8, 2004, 2:09 AM
UserLoser.
This doesn't actually keep track it's just for fun and is one line of PHP code: <? echo("$_GET[user]'s karma just went up by one!"); ?>
March 8, 2004, 4:33 PM

Search