Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Yoni's Math Forum | Just for kicks

AuthorMessageTime
HdxBmx27
Just for kicks i wanto post this Word problim created by Einstein. Post your suloutions here I know the answer and will PM you telling you if you are right or wrong.

Albert Einstein wrote this riddle in the early 20th century.
He said that 98% of the population would not be able to solve it.

In a street there are 5 houses painted 5 different colors.
In each house lives a person of a different nationality.
The 5 homeowners each drink a different beverage,
smoke a different brand of cigar, and keep a different pet.
The question is: Who keeps the fish?(As a pet. Not to fead anything. The fish is alive. Thx Tal for being a idiot and trying to say the cat lady fead them to her cat.)

HINTS:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede has a dog.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
5. The owner of the green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes pall mall has birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhills.
8. The man living in the center house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes blends lives next to the one who has cats.
11. The man who has horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhills.
12. The man who smokes blue master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes blends has a neighbor who drinks water.

Have fun!
~-~(HDX)~-~
March 4, 2004, 6:04 AM
K
This seems like one of those problems you should make a giant grid to solve...what are those called?
March 4, 2004, 6:10 AM
HdxBmx27
I don't know but ya thats one of the ways me and my friends used. (we each solved it once alone then we all solved it many diffrent was together.)I got it my first try.
~-~(HDX)~-~
March 4, 2004, 6:21 AM
iago
[quote author=K link=board=36;threadid=5582;start=0#msg47390 date=1078380654]
This seems like one of those problems you should make a giant grid to solve...what are those called?
[/quote]

A "logic problem", I think.
March 4, 2004, 12:44 PM
Yoni
Allow me to highly and forcefully doubt this has anything at all to do with Einstein.

Edit: (To clarify, this is a good post and on the right forum. :))
March 4, 2004, 12:45 PM
Telos
[quote]
[color=Black]
House #1 House #2 House #3 House #4 House #5
Nationality Norwegian Danish British German Swedish
House Color Yellow Blue Red Green White
Drink Water Tea Milk Coffee Beer
Smoke Dunhills Blends Pall mall Prince Blue Master
Pet Cats Horses Birds Fish Dog
[/color]
[/quote]
March 4, 2004, 6:01 PM
crashtestdummy
don't think your table worked.. or i cant see it. NM i figured it out. Thats what I got too
March 5, 2004, 4:37 AM
j0k3r
I was going to try this, but couldn't figure out what sort of a table to set up, telos figured it out.
March 5, 2004, 12:22 PM
Telos
Part of the LSAT (Law School Admission Test (?)) consists of logic puzzles (they call them "games") like these so if you plan on going to law school be ready for stuff like this on the test.
March 5, 2004, 3:13 PM
Yoni
Got the same as Telos (I think - didn't check thoroughly, but what I looked at was the same). Except 2 people I couldn't find everything about, but I might have missed something.
Anyway, I did reach the correct (I suppose) final answer - all details about the owner of the fish.

Spoiler (101kb)
x = no, o = yes
March 5, 2004, 4:55 PM
crashtestdummy
Mine was simmilar except smaller. I didn't mark nos just memorized them. My roommate does books and books of those logic puzzles. If anyone is interested I can post more. She has medium to advanced puzzles.
March 5, 2004, 10:15 PM
HdxBmx27
Bah ya yall got it its a simple one. congrats yall. O and plz do post thoses problims i like doing them :P.
~-~(hdx)~-~
March 6, 2004, 8:49 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=crashtestdummy link=board=36;threadid=5582;start=0#msg47780 date=1078524914]
If anyone is interested I can post more. She has medium to advanced puzzles.
[/quote]
Please do :)
March 6, 2004, 12:27 PM
crashtestdummy
Here's the first one in the book:

Each of five college friends got married during a different month (February, April, July, September, or December) last year. Each couple wanted more than the traditional ceremony, so they planned a different type of event that was quite out of the ordinary (one couple chse to bungee jump during their ceremony). Each couple held their wedding in a different town with a romantic-sounding name (one was Loving, New Mexico). From the information provided, determine the month in which each bride (Esther, Goldie, Jean, Julie, or Lily) and groom (Gabe, Jack, Joel, Morris, or Warren) were married, the unusual activity they chose, and the town in which they were wed.

1. Goldie was married exactly two months after the couple who were married while parachuting. Gabe and his wife were married exactly two months after Joel but at some point before the couple who tied the knot in Rosebud, Montana.
2. The five weddings, in order from first to last, were Warren's, the one that was held during the seventh-inning stretch of a baseball game, Esther's, the September wedding, and the one that took place while a couple was skiing.
3. Lily was married while skiing. Warren was married while parachuting, but not in the ceremony held in Hartsdale, New York.
4. Jack is either the man who got married in Happy, Texas, or the man who tied the knot in Kissimmee, Florida. Gabe isn't married to Julie.
5. The July wedding took place in Happy, Texas. One couple held their september wedding on a roller coaster.
</ol>
March 6, 2004, 9:34 PM
Telos
[quote]
[color=Black]
       February    April       July       September    December
Bride    Julie      Goldie      Esther       Jean       Lily
Groom    Warren      Jack      Joel       Gabe       Morris
Activity   Parachuting   Baseball   Bungee jump   Roller coaster    Skiing
Location   New Mexico   Florida      Texas       New York    Montana

[/color]
[/quote]
March 6, 2004, 9:58 PM
crashtestdummy
I need to find the advanced book I guess.
March 6, 2004, 10:22 PM
j0k3r
I hate those kind of problems, they involve just writing stuff down and making it organized, I was thinking more like riddle-puzzles.
March 7, 2004, 1:52 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
I solved this problem when i was ten but ill try it again.
March 7, 2004, 12:16 PM
Moonshine
Great problem, it was fun finding the answer (I got it, along with all 5 attributes for each house). I did this one on my white-board using a table of sorts..
March 12, 2004, 4:12 AM
crashtestdummy
I have 4 more books now. I'll post 2 out of this book tomorrow night.
March 12, 2004, 6:05 AM

Search