Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Insane Lag

AuthorMessageTime
hismajesty
Lately, I've been receiving a ton of lag on my computer. Even typing things, such as instant messages, URL's, etc. to opening folders/programs/restoring minimized programs, basically everything. I've run A/V software, AdAware, cleared my temp files, uninstalled useless programs, pretty much everything I can think of. I still have about 40-50 GB's left on my Windows partition. The lag has become unbearable to where I can tell a program to open a folder, walk across the room to the trash can, come back and it still be opening the folder. Right now, I'm on another computer which is working fine (which eliminates it being a networking problem). My question is what is my best bet? I've considered formatting, but if anyone knows of an alternative I'd rather do that since the lag of the computer would probably make it a bitch to backup things.

Thanks for any help. :)
March 2, 2004, 2:25 PM
Grok
Why do you run adaware?
March 2, 2004, 3:06 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=5546;start=0#msg47073 date=1078240012]
Why do you run adaware?
[/quote]

Why not?
March 2, 2004, 3:15 PM
Yoni
Check taskmgr for processes hogging your CPU.
March 2, 2004, 3:16 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Yoni link=board=2;threadid=5546;start=0#msg47075 date=1078240569]
Check taskmgr for processes hogging your CPU.
[/quote]

I looked, the highest one was Winamp.
March 2, 2004, 3:17 PM
Thing
The current Solar Flux Density is 101.1. This is most likely the cause of your problem.
I recommend shielding your memory. You can accomplish this by following these instructions:

1. Remove the memory sticks from your computer.
2. Cut a piece of aluminum foil 15 mm x 250 mm for each stick of memory.
3. Fold the foil along it's long axis and place the contacts of the memory sticks in the fold.
4. The contacts should be completely covered in foil on both sides.
5. Place the memory back into your computer and power up.

You are now safe from the effects of Solar Flux.
March 2, 2004, 3:43 PM
warz
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=5546;start=0#msg47077 date=1078242203]
The current Solar Flux Density is 101.1. This is most likely the cause of your problem.
I recommend shielding your memory. You can accomplish this by following these instructions:

1. Remove the memory sticks from your computer.
2. Cut a piece of aluminum foil 15 mm x 250 mm for each stick of memory.
3. Fold the foil along it's long axis and place the contacts of the memory sticks in the fold.
4. The contacts should be completely covered in foil on both sides.
5. Place the memory back into your computer and power up.

You are now safe from the effects of Solar Flux.
[/quote]

zzzzz.
March 2, 2004, 3:48 PM
hismajesty
When I did that the computer didn't even boot past the motherboards splash screen. :P
March 2, 2004, 4:13 PM
warz
You tried it?
March 2, 2004, 4:16 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=warz link=board=2;threadid=5546;start=0#msg47081 date=1078244190]
You tried it?
[/quote]

mmhmm :)
March 2, 2004, 4:22 PM
Adron
That's because you forgot the burn-in step. You must only cover half of the memory chip at a time, between each step running it 60 seconds in the microwave on full effect to ensure a solid connection between the shielding foil and the circuitry.
March 2, 2004, 5:12 PM
iago
Back to the original topic, I would recommend formatting. When was the last time you did it? I would recommend a good format every 6-12 months if you want to keep it clean.

Another option: look for RegClean.exe. It used to be (and probably is) somewhere on MS's site.

Finally, which OS are you running? You will get consistantly better performance from windows xp, as long as you meet the ram requirements. I will probably get flamed for saying that, but I've used both OS's considerably, and it's true :)
March 2, 2004, 5:33 PM
hismajesty
Yes, Windows XP. I've never formatted heh, it's been 7 months since I built the computer I guess it's time I did it anyway. Backing up my stuff now, too bad I don't have enough disks for all my important music files.
March 2, 2004, 6:33 PM
Probe
this is a stupid question, but have you defragged
March 2, 2004, 7:48 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=2;threadid=5546;start=0#msg47094 date=1078252394]
Yes, Windows XP. I've never formatted heh, it's been 7 months since I built the computer I guess it's time I did it anyway. Backing up my stuff now, too bad I don't have enough disks for all my important music files.
[/quote]

I've found that XP can last considerably longer than the 9x flavor of OSes, topping off between 9 and 12 months before I say, "Damnit, I gotta reinstall Windows." Fortunately since I got XP, I've had catastrophes cause me to reinstall Windows anyway several times. :)
March 2, 2004, 7:52 PM
Stealth
My other computer (the family box) has never had Windows reinstalled on it since its birth 4 years ago at a Dell factory in Texas. The only time I changed it was about a year and a half ago to upgrade it to XP, as well as numerous hardware changes over the course of its life (including a SECC2 cartridge-style processor upgrade).

If you're smart about it, and use tools at your disposal, there's no reason you should have to format at all. My current computer is a self-built XP Home box, and I have never had a single stability or speed problem with it. It runs just as well as the day I turned it on for the first time nearly a year and a half ago.
March 2, 2004, 7:59 PM
crashtestdummy
What a/v are you running? Ihave a freind who just d/l's anything and everything and just puts his computer through hell. He brings it to me every couple of months to clean it up for him. I ran norton on it the first time and found nothing. I knew there was something on it so I uninstalled norton and put mcafee on it found I think it was about 10 or so viruses and 3 trojans. And like Probe said, did you defrag?
March 2, 2004, 9:13 PM
hismajesty
I ended up formatting anyway, it's nice and fast now. Except my internet is acting weird, the cable modem is only working when I connect with USB but not with my ethernet card; thus, my network is messed up until I can fix that. Any ideas?
March 3, 2004, 3:06 AM
crashtestdummy
windows xp?
Did you try running the new network wizard without the usb plugged in and reboot afterwards?
March 3, 2004, 4:18 AM
hismajesty
Says it cannot find the hardware, it's there though.

btw, reformatting sucks. I put the folder of stuff that I've programmed (and their sources) onto the disk *I though* and when I went to open a project that I've been working on for 4-5 months, it wasn't there, nor any of my other sources. :(
March 3, 2004, 11:19 AM
Fr0z3N
[quote author=Stealth link=board=2;threadid=5546;start=15#msg47111 date=1078257573]
My other computer (the family box) has never had Windows reinstalled on it since its birth 4 years ago at a Dell factory in Texas. The only time I changed it was about a year and a half ago to upgrade it to XP, as well as numerous hardware changes over the course of its life (including a SECC2 cartridge-style processor upgrade).

If you're smart about it, and use tools at your disposal, there's no reason you should have to format at all. My current computer is a self-built XP Home box, and I have never had a single stability or speed problem with it. It runs just as well as the day I turned it on for the first time nearly a year and a half ago.
[/quote]

Same with me, mines on 5 years and no format. Go go home built pc's!
March 3, 2004, 12:52 PM
hismajesty
Mine was home built.
March 3, 2004, 7:21 PM
crashtestdummy
go to the website of your ethernet card, get new drivers, install those, and reboot.
that'll prolly fix the problems.
March 4, 2004, 2:11 AM
hismajesty
Correct, I was looking through this small box of stuff I had of what came with the computer parts. (CD's, cords, etc) I noticed I hadn't installed the drivers for the motherboard and stuff. Everything is fixed now, as far as lag/networking etc. Nothing I can do about lost sources and programs and stuff. Thanks for everyones help. :)
March 4, 2004, 2:18 AM

Search