Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | DSL Dynamic Webserver possible?

AuthorMessageTime
Anubis
Is it possible to use a webserver through a network through a dynamic IP address with DSL? I called our providers and they said it's possible but they don't support it... If it is possible, how would I access it through the Internet?/What software would be required? Basically, what would I need to do it?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
February 28, 2004, 9:43 PM
Kp
From your description, nothing in particular needs to be done. Being on a dynamic address has no effect upon your ability to operate a server. However, if your company requires you to use a router-like device to get on, you'll need to configure it to forward the ports [this is unfortunately a very device-dependent step, so we'll need exact details on the device to offer good help with doing the forwarding]. To access it online, just enter its address and the protocol into an appropriate client.
February 28, 2004, 9:57 PM
Grok
I am reading his mind, and decided he also means, but forgot to state, that users should be able to access his server by an unchanging hostname. Such as anubis.dynip.com, that no matter what his IP might be, the name remains the same.

He needs dynamic IP DNS hosting. DYNIP is one such company, and there are others.
February 28, 2004, 10:17 PM
iago
If what you need is what Grok is saying, then check out www.no-ip.com. I think it's actually the same site.

The problem with this, however, is that when your ip changes, it takes a few minutes to update, which causes downtime. The only real solution to this, besides requesting a static ip, is getting a router, and setting it to always-on.
February 28, 2004, 10:28 PM
Anubis
What do I change in the router's config to have it forward the ports? (I have a DSL modem which is commonly referred to as a "router" and I also have a switch...) The modem is a Cisco 678 and the router is a Linksys PSUS4. (I also have a few other switches/hubs laying around if I need a different one, but they are all Linksys.)

I've also tried the dynamic IP address updater things and none seem to work. It just loads the error page and says "That page cannot be found."

How would I set it to always-on? I've also been to no-ip.com...Doesn't seem to work for me.
February 28, 2004, 10:30 PM
Grok
Until you learn how to configure your own router, I suggest you use free web hosting.
February 28, 2004, 10:37 PM
crashtestdummy
linksys routers and switches come with a pretty big pdf that tells you how to configure it
actually i dont see the PSUS4
but you can check the list and find one for the one you have

http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp
February 28, 2004, 10:50 PM
K
You can configure *most* linksys routers by visiting their IP address over HTTP, for example, http://192.168.1.1. Your router will come with a default username/password which you can use to login - from there, you will need to visit the Forwarding page and forward to your computer's internal address.
February 28, 2004, 11:09 PM
Anubis
A long tim ago I read the instruction for these switches somewhere and it had an IP adress for the router... It was like 127.10. something. Does anyone know by chance what it was?
February 28, 2004, 11:43 PM
Hitmen
You're probably thinking of 127.0.0.1, but that loops back to your own computer.
February 29, 2004, 12:08 AM
iago
I have a dsl modem, and it isn't commonly called a router. It's commonly called a modem. My router is on the other side of the modem, and the switch is plugged into a router. The modem/router/switch are three distinct pieces of hardware.
February 29, 2004, 2:10 AM
Anubis
Well, my mom calls our modem a router...but I figured it out :) I just had to tell our modem to forward the port......
February 29, 2004, 3:10 AM
Yoni
[quote author=Anubis link=board=2;threadid=5499;start=0#msg46632 date=1078024239]
Well, my mom calls our modem a router...but I figured it out :) I just had to tell our modem to forward the port......
[/quote]If you could tell your modem to forward the port, it is a router as well (router with built-in modem, or vice versa). Those are common - the one I know best is the Alcatel Speed Touch Pro (the one most commonly found in Israel).
February 29, 2004, 12:07 PM
SNiFFeR
I have DSL and the easiest thing for me to use is www.no-ip.org (http://expozed.no-ip.org). It's really easy to adjust when your ip changes.
February 29, 2004, 4:08 PM
tA-Kane
[quote author=Anubis link=board=2;threadid=5499;start=0#msg46586 date=1078011835]
A long tim ago I read the instruction for these switches somewhere and it had an IP adress for the router... It was like 127.10. something. Does anyone know by chance what it was?
[/quote]The DSL modem given to me by SBC has a default IP address of 172.16.0.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

Your best bet would probably be to look for a DMZ or "Exposed Host" address value, and set that to your server's IP address on your local area network.

If you already have a DMZ set to a different machine, and don't want to change it, then you'll need to consult your DSL modem or linksys router manual on information regarding putting "holes" through your firewall, or perhaps setting certain machines as servers for specific ports.

If you're not able to figure out how to do this, contact your DSL modem company or contact LinkSys, and they might help you.

As for your dynamic IP, use www.dyndns.org, they're free and simple (and what I use), and you can upgrade later to let them manage any domains you buy instead of just managing their own domains. What you do is create an account, set up a domain (such as yourdomain.ath.cx), download a client, and run that on your server. Set up the client with the account information and the domain that you set up, and the client will automatically periodically connect to the DynDNS website and update the IP address for the domain if it changes.
March 1, 2004, 2:49 AM

Search