Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Yoni's Math Forum | this might be trash

AuthorMessageTime
crashtestdummy
this company offers $1 million and a lifetime job if you can crack their encryption
seemed like somethin for the math forum...
February 28, 2004, 7:22 AM
iago
errmmmm.. "this company". Yay.
February 28, 2004, 10:06 AM
Yoni
What, the VME (Virtual Matrix Encryption, IIRC) thing? That's old... Practically impossible to crack as well. It will be possible once quantum computers are usable, but we have to wait at least a decade or two until then.
February 28, 2004, 12:46 PM
iago
The guy I work with doesn't quite understand how quantum computers present a security threat. He has a habit of saying, "Well, once quantum computers are invented, our security will be useless anyway." I try to explain to him that we don't use encryption, we only have a password system. The best somebody could do is BF us, and get banned, which will happen regardless of the computer he's on.
February 28, 2004, 4:43 PM
crashtestdummy
like i said might be trash
February 28, 2004, 10:16 PM
K
[quote author=iago link=board=36;threadid=5493;start=0#msg46527 date=1077986622]
The guy I work with doesn't quite understand how quantum computers present a security threat. He has a habit of saying, "Well, once quantum computers are invented, our security will be useless anyway." I try to explain to him that we don't use encryption, we only have a password system. The best somebody could do is BF us, and get banned, which will happen regardless of the computer he's on.
[/quote]

Actually, we will have unbreakable encryption if/when quantum computers are realized -- just not the encryption methods used today. If you're interested in a non-techincal and interesting read, check out this book. amazon.com link I wish I could explain quantum cryptography as easily as it was outlined in this book, but I can't -- maybe someone else can. The basic premise is that interception of a message without knowledge of the way it was sent alters its quantum (polarization?) and renders it incorrect.
February 28, 2004, 11:19 PM
UserLoser.
I really don't feel like reading a book, and this is interesting - can someone explain what a quantum computer is?
February 29, 2004, 4:59 AM
crashtestdummy
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~westside/quantum-intro.html
February 29, 2004, 6:29 AM
Tron
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer.htm
March 2, 2004, 8:00 AM

Search