Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Grokker 2.0

AuthorMessageTime
Hostile
http://www.groxis.com/service/grok/g_products.html

It's going to take me a while to stop laughing about this. :-*

For those who don't read Java forum, its currently on frontpage of www.java.com too. :P (Well, one of the programs it random generates to advertise)

[quote]
Warm up to Grokker for only $49!
[/quote]
February 27, 2004, 3:21 PM
warz
What's funny about it?
February 27, 2004, 4:20 PM
Adron
Probably that it sounds like a generic software to search the web intelligently, when in reality it's a tool to look up a set of ready-made pages, kinda like google's sponsored links. It most likely wouldn't find me any neatly organized links if I typed in "Vikingstad", and probably not even for "Linköping". Yes, you can probably add things to your own copy yourself, but then it's not a search engine, just a tool to catalogize your own information.
February 27, 2004, 5:08 PM
iago
I think it's funny because it sounds like "Grok", and it wants people to warm up by being close with "Grok" this winter.
February 27, 2004, 5:28 PM
Hostile
lol Iago atleast has a clue. You know that guy, that founded vL and donates us this forum and server? Yeah, that one! The one we call, Grok! You guys should get to know him and maybe you'd actually think it was funny. This program, besides the obvious name slur (not to mention one of his many nicknames amoungst myself and DM is Grokker :p) That and the description is identical to his personality (which he choose his nickname Grok most likely for the same reasons as the makers of that program). Get a clue!
February 27, 2004, 6:11 PM
Adron
Ah. I've seen "grok" used as a word enough that I no longer find that connection of the name funny. The program was still funny. I wasn't sure if the whole ad was a joke page or not on the first read.
February 27, 2004, 7:20 PM
iago
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=5480;start=0#msg46357 date=1077905480]
lol Iago atleast has a clue. You know that guy, that founded vL and donates us this forum and server? Yeah, that one! The one we call, Grok! You guys should get to know him and maybe you'd actually think it was funny. This program, besides the obvious name slur (not to mention one of his many nicknames amoungst myself and DM is Grokker :p) That and the description is identical to his personality (which he choose his nickname Grok most likely for the same reasons as the makers of that program). Get a clue!
[/quote]
I thought it was Thing that donated this forum/server?

[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=5480;start=0#msg46370 date=1077909626]
Ah. I've seen "grok" used as a word enough that I no longer find that connection of the name funny. The program was still funny. I wasn't sure if the whole ad was a joke page or not on the first read.
[/quote]
I've never heard the word Grok used outside of our Grok.
February 27, 2004, 8:53 PM
Adron
grok - get/understand, that's the only way I knew the word used before I met Grok...

February 27, 2004, 9:28 PM
warz
oh, either way it wasn't too funny.
February 27, 2004, 9:37 PM
Raven
There's also a P2P client called "Grokster". :)
February 27, 2004, 10:07 PM

Search