Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Selling stuff on EBay

AuthorMessageTime
iago
First of all, I should probably give some background:
My car fell apart.

Well, not really, but the frame apparently rusted right through, and it's useless as anything except a paperweight now.

On the other hand, I have brand new tires, new sparkplugs, new distributer stuff, and a whole bunch of new stuff in it (totaling about cdn$1100)

I want to sell it off, either entirely or as piecemeal. So my question is:
A) would it be better to sell it in smaller pieces, or
B) would it be better to sell the entire non-working car as a parts-car or whatever?

And would I be better to just take an ad in a local newspaper, or would it be worth the extra trouble to sell it on ebay?

Opinions are totally welcome here :)
February 25, 2004, 6:11 PM
Adron
Ah, the joys of a cold and wet climate. What kind of car is it? I need a door handle and a door light for my SAAB 9000...

You should probably check out ads in your local newspapers and on ebay and see estimate how much you might get for your car parts. Then consider if you feel it's worth the trouble mailing things off to buyers far away.

You'll most probably be able to milk more money out of it selling it piece by piece.
February 25, 2004, 7:45 PM
iago
It's not so much being cold-and-wet, it's more that when it snows they salt the roads to melt the snow, and salt is horrible for cars.

Anyway, I don't have door lights, but I DO have door handles. It's a '91 Chevy Sprint.
February 25, 2004, 8:21 PM
Adron
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=5452;start=0#msg46003 date=1077740505]
It's not so much being cold-and-wet, it's more that when it snows they salt the roads to melt the snow, and salt is horrible for cars.

Anyway, I don't have door lights, but I DO have door handles. It's a '91 Chevy Sprint.
[/quote]

Well, I meant that. If it wasn't cold or if there wasn't snow, they wouldn't have to salt it... It's just like here though. Mine's an '86.
February 25, 2004, 8:31 PM
DrivE
Its more about what kind of car it is and what other cars the parts are compatible with. I suggest you list all the individual parts in the paper but let readers know that you would be willing to sell the entire car as a package deal.
February 25, 2004, 10:22 PM
Tron
I would try and sell that unit whole, as long as you don't mention something about the functions of it ;). I've heard too many scams on eBay. My dad's friend bought a digital camera on eBay but they never shipped it! He couldn't even contact them with the support because they would just say we'll send it soon. My friend's computer is faulty and he bought it off eBay... He's bought 3 new power boxes within the past 2 months totaling about $200. They all broke! He say's there's a chip in the motherboard.
February 26, 2004, 10:10 AM
j0k3r
*cough*dumbass*cough*
[quote author=Tron link=board=2;threadid=5452;start=0#msg46116 date=1077790253]
I would try and sell that unit whole, as long as you don't mention something about the functions of it ;). I've heard too many scams on eBay.
[/quote]
That's called a scam. You HAVE to list ANYTHING wrong with the car when you post something up.

My dad's friend bought a digital camera on eBay but they never shipped it! He couldn't even contact them with the support because they would just say we'll send it soon.
[/quote]
You buy off powersellers with over 500 feedback, only then are you assured to get the product you bought. There are multiple ways to get your money back if the item is not delivered (and even if it is, but that is also known as a scam)

My friend's computer is faulty and he bought it off eBay... He's bought 3 new power boxes within the past 2 months totaling about $200. They all broke! He say's there's a chip in the motherboard.
[/quote]
You can get a 350 watt powersupply from a regular store for $50, it will NOT, I repeat NOT break unless you're running like 3 radeon 9700's (and you're an idiot if you do that). As for the chip, unless it touches the circuitry I don't think it will do much.
February 26, 2004, 12:35 PM
Grok
350W? Mistake. You need >400W for most newer computers. The power supply is what most people get wrong when buying/building a new computer, and probably the most important item to keep your computer healthy for years.

Enermax 465W is what I use. Has and under fan in addition to the back fan, and variable speed control.

I'd buy something like this one with my next system:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1839341/ut=ce4a62c8806f9429
February 26, 2004, 3:35 PM
MrRaza
I was wondering if anyone knew of a site or place where i could get hockey cards priced.Since i have Eric Lindros Rookie Cards, along with Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux's Rookie Card, Micheal Jordans Baseball card aswell as Mark Messier's card, there's lots more..
February 26, 2004, 5:00 PM
iago
[quote author=MrRaza link=board=2;threadid=5452;start=0#msg46143 date=1077814840]
I was wondering if anyone knew of a site or place where i could get hockey cards priced.Since i have Eric Lindros Rookie Cards, along with Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux's Rookie Card, Micheal Jordans Baseball card aswell as Mark Messier's card, there's lots more..
[/quote]

I'll give you $10 for the lot.

One way is to check ebay and see what they're going for, if anybody is selling those.
February 26, 2004, 5:45 PM
MrRaza
I know for a fact there worth more than 10 bucks, thx.
February 26, 2004, 6:02 PM
Tron
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=5452;start=0#msg46119 date=1077798945]
*cough*dumbass*cough*
I would try and sell that unit whole, as long as you don't mention something about the functions of it ;). I've heard too many scams on eBay.
[/quote]
That's called a scam. You HAVE to list ANYTHING wrong with the car when you post something up.

My dad's friend bought a digital camera on eBay but they never shipped it! He couldn't even contact them with the support because they would just say we'll send it soon.
[/quote]
You buy off powersellers with over 500 feedback, only then are you assured to get the product you bought. There are multiple ways to get your money back if the item is not delivered (and even if it is, but that is also known as a scam)

My friend's computer is faulty and he bought it off eBay... He's bought 3 new power boxes within the past 2 months totaling about $200. They all broke! He say's there's a chip in the motherboard.
[/quote]
You can get a 350 watt powersupply from a regular store for $50, it will NOT, I repeat NOT break unless you're running like 3 radeon 9700's (and you're an idiot if you do that). As for the chip, unless it touches the circuitry I don't think it will do much.
[/quote]

I was just quoting my friend about his computer, but sorry I had no idea about the policies they had with functionality either.
February 27, 2004, 4:11 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=Tron link=board=2;threadid=5452;start=0#msg46273 date=1077855099]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=5452;start=0#msg46119 date=1077798945]
*cough*dumbass*cough*
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I was just quoting my friend about his computer, but sorry I had no idea about the policies they had with functionality either.
[/quote]
Not alot of people know about it either, but it's a good thing they have it otherwise you could buy a 67 corvette that's broken and rusted, and not be able to do anything about it.

[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=5452;start=0#msg46134 date=1077809757]
350W? Mistake. You need >400W for most newer computers. The power supply is what most people get wrong when buying/building a new computer, and probably the most important item to keep your computer healthy for years.

Enermax 465W is what I use. Has and under fan in addition to the back fan, and variable speed control.

I'd buy something like this one with my next system:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1839341/ut=ce4a62c8806f9429
[/quote]
Ah where does the time go? I recommended 350watt because that is what I have and it hasn't broken on me, and was at the time I purchased it a reasonable price. After checking numerous sites and ebay, a 500watt powersupply is like $50, well worth it IMO(my 350watt set me back $50 in the summer), that will probably be my next upgrade so I don't have to worry.
March 2, 2004, 2:27 PM

Search